PDA

View Full Version : Tassie Trout

flatzie
17-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Well Im off to Tassie with my wife for two weeks hols in March. Any Ausfishers down there? Anyone fished trout there. I will be taking my flyrod and fly gear as well as some spin gear. I am keen as I havent landed a trout since moving back to Aussie from a work stint in UK 4 yrs ago!
Be good to hear any advice on suggested lakes/rivers to try, gun flies etc. Will probaby try aguide as well.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated boys!
Flatzie

Cammy
17-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey mate, i havent fished for trout for a looooong time either. I dont know anything about tassie though, just hope you catch lots of nice fish and have a ball there an awsome fish to land! I think the member Blaze lives down that way but i dont know if he fishes for trout, if he doesnt he should lol.

Cam

TimiBoy
17-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Long time for me too. Get a guide, there are spots, then there are SPOTS!

Make sure you check on license, and tackle requirements for certain spots, they do vary (at least they used to). Caught my first trout on a fly at Cow Paddock. A very proud man!

Cheers,

Tim

bugman
18-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Flatzie,

One of the great experiences is walking into the Highland Lakes and trout fishing a water where you don't see anyone all day. The temperature might only be 5 degrees and you might only one brown trout buthe memory will neaver leave you.

The season can be subject to change but I'm pretty sure the brown torut season closes in April. I think the rainbow season goes until May and there are some waters that can be fished all year round but not many.

I'd start here : http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/

Anyone can drop in a worm and catch a trout but if you get a guide to take you to a more remote place and catch a wild trout using true angling methods then it's certainly something to remember. Doing it by yourself is something again but it takes plenty of time and patience.

There are plenty of good guides but they all charge well for their services.

If you want to catch a fish - then Arthurs Lake will be the place to go - it's prolific. If you're around Launceston then Four Springs is really firing for those who use it and all streams will pretty much hold trout. But as I said check the available waters and species for the timing of your trip.

I grew up catching wild browns and rainbows down there and had the opportunity to do it all again for a few years just recently. I think it gets in your blood and stays there.

Brett

TasFisho
18-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi flatzie, If i was you i would check out the website www.sportsfishtasmania.com (http://www.sportsfishtasmania.com)
It has plenty of info on tassie trout and guides that are available, but if you give mike tenner from Rod and Fly a ring and tell him that mark from Huon Motors sent you too him he should look after you. :)

Mike is a local tassie guide down here and will be able to put you onto loads of good trout and if you mention me he should give you the good oil on some other spots you will find the fish at that time of the year and the right flies to use.
His website is www.rodandfly.com.au (http://www.rodandfly.com.au) , i am down in the huon valley and i go out and fish the weld river (world class wild rainbow river) a fair bit, only a 25 min drive from me, so if i can get the time i don't mind showing a fellow aushfisher a day out on the southern rivers:)

Tropicaltrout
18-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah mate, grab a licence hit up the creeks (Brumbies, The Nive,Coal or any you drive over that are fresh) The Chains are great fishing (Bronte, Brady's, Binney and Tungatina) and if you fish them work the banks or the inlets they often produce .... If you have access to a boat go to Arthurs lake and again the Chains... If you head to Pedder way for the drine to the gordon dam fish the edges of the lake arond the sepentine or still water bay....

Have fun its a great place to visit, and there are some fantastic areas to fish, to see and experiance in Tas...

Nath

bugman
19-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Tas Fisho, (Mark)
Mike taught me how to fly fish again after years of inactivity. He also sold me my latest combo. He's a great bloke and very easy to get on with. I've never seen more trout flies in one place than in his house.
Actually I've got to exchange the tip of my rod which snapped recently. Tell him Brett from Augusta Foodstore is still is putting it to good use up North.
It certainly is a great part of the world down there - Although the Huon region would have to be one of the coldest places I know.
Brett

flatzie
19-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys, very kind of you to help, greatly appreciated!
The itch is getting stroger now, nothing like that flyline sound wizzing thru the water on a strike!
Flatzie

shane 234
20-01-2009, 10:16 PM
heyy
dunno if you fancy this type of thinng but if you want to catch a decent trout get on to old macs farm and fishery, its a trout farm where you can pay to go in and catch some big ass trout. its cheaper than a guide.
i caught my first trout on a fly there, close to a 4 pounder!!
its in launceston, have fun mate,
shane.