PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Squid

Big Shaun
17-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi,

Did anyone see the doco on the Humboldt Squid recently on Foxtel? Not sure how old it is but it was done by a ex navy diver. He was researching the effect the squid had on the gulf of california and surrounding waters. The game fishing boats were catching humboldt squid all the time. All the big game fish are being driven away. A few mexican fisherman were killed by them when there tinny flipped and they were attacked by the squid. He found the squid were eating all the bait fish and anything else down to about 1500 feet. Pretty much nothin they won't eat. He believed the drop in the oxygen level was helping the squid but not much else. They are spreading rapidly north and south. I wonder if changes in oxygen levels are effecting our fishin grounds? Anyway I found it great viewing and would recommend watching it.

Cheers.
Shaun

snagking
17-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Killer squid....
What a horrible way to go :(

Big Shaun
17-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Killer squid....
What a horrible way to go :(

Mate they grow up to two metres with a there beak is this size of your fist. This navy diver was wearing body armour and went down at night with no lights just night vision. He was getting hammered so the put the spot lights on and there were dozens attacking him. Really impressive footage but they just eat everything. Even attack sharks. He caught one on a game rig then fitted a camera to it and released it. It swam back down to the group but the rest stood back, assessed the situation and just attacked it and ate it alive. Really calculating and orchestrated with the actions. There nick name is the Red Devil. Each female releases about 20 million eggs. The doco is calling it an epidemic.

Big Shaun
17-01-2009, 10:48 PM
For those who are interested the documentary is called Squid Invasion. It is on the Discovery Channel on Sunday 18th January at 4.30pm. Cheers.

Scott nthQld
18-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I watched it this arvo,,,,very interesting, one of them would provide me with salt and pepper squid for breakfast lunch a dinner for well over a month.

Like the blokes said in that cafe thing towards the end, if they are such a big problem, why not get a market going for them? Then the yanks can do what they do best and destroy them

Big Shaun
18-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I had a bit of read on wiki and there is now growing market in the US. Did you see the other doco on the Colosal Squid?

moater
22-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I saw a doco about these beasties awhile back on the SBS show called Thalassa,

Dirtysanchez
23-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Killer calamari, I love it.

Hope it is on again soon, I would like to see that

Blackened
23-01-2009, 07:29 PM
G'day

For those that are interested

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AQKs1-fwTgU&feature=related

Dave

struktcha_man
23-01-2009, 10:36 PM
good eatin they say?
nice bit of calamari there,
I think if they are god eating they wont take over the sea.
great animals but .

cheers

R0b
29-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah they said they were good eating, 'after cleaning you are left with flesh the size of a doormat' sounds like you may need some mates to help you :D

Big Shaun
29-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah they said they were good eating, 'after cleaning you are left with flesh the size of a doormat' sounds like you may need some mates to help you :D

and lots of bread brumbs....