PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga / Monduran 2008 Catch Rates (daily average)

NAGG
17-01-2009, 07:18 AM
So here is the poll - Participate & Enjoy

Fish caught per day fished ( boat total)

Chris

PS ..... Please round up the result eg 1.5 will be recorded as 2

Peter4
17-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Man, this is a no brainer......in 2008 we spent 17 days on Monduran for 7 fish (compared to 9 days for 20 fish in 2007) and two days on Awoonga for zero fish.......

NAGG
17-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Man, this is a no brainer......in 2008 we spent 17 days on Monduran for 7 fish (compared to 9 days for 20 fish in 2007) and two days on Awoonga for zero fish.......

Hey Pete If we get quality results ....... we will see how tough it really is - Its only that when I went through my 2008 notes did I realize just how many fruitless days were spent chasing barra.......... We really must love our barra

Chris

BR65
17-01-2009, 08:59 AM
mate, are we counting dropped fish, or just fish in the net? I had a few trips where I connected with plenty, but only netted a few.

NAGG
17-01-2009, 09:12 AM
mate, are we counting dropped fish, or just fish in the net? I had a few trips where I connected with plenty, but only netted a few.

I thought about that ..... Too hard for me::)

no we are looking for fish that were landed!

Chris

SQUIDDA
17-01-2009, 09:38 AM
NAGG you have way to much time on your hands.Landed 3 this morning at Awoonga.

BR65
17-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Ok, this year Im keping a better log, but best I can figure, there was one trip to A for a donut, and 13 trips to M, for one donut, over 23 days, with, I think, 41 fish netted in my boat, of which 6 were a meter plus. That equals 1.78 fish caught per day up there, myself and crew combined, un-real when you consider that a day is normally 12 to 14 hours on the water. I didnt count fish caught by mates in their boats fishing on the same trip, just my own tubs results, and I didnt count dropped fish, which would punch that number up a bit, I had a real bad trot of dropping fish spread over half a dozen trips last year. The Mondy donut trip saw me conect to, then subsuquently drop, 4 fish, inc what would have been a new pb I think. The jury is still out on that, at first I thought it was the body shape and hook placement on the lure I was using, but in the end I put it down to non-commited fish swiping and cheek hooking, so Ive changed rod angles a bit, adjusted drag setings a bit loser, and tried a couple of other things to see how that makes a differance.
So I voted 2 fish per day average mate.
Now, if you really want to cry, add up the costs of your IBD for the year and divide by number of fish netted, to calculate a net dollar value per fish!

BR65
17-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Its going to be hard to get accurate data from this mate, you might get the once a year fisho who targets the basin on the moon and brains em, and doesnt fish again that year, so his catch rate per day is very high.

NAGG
17-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Its going to be hard to get accurate data from this mate, you might get the once a year fisho who targets the basin on the moon and brains em, and doesnt fish again that year, so his catch rate per day is very high.

Unfortunately the figures can get clouded by the once a year fishoe or even by how much time is actually spent fishing , how many on a boat etc...... but considering that a high percentage of us do multiple trips ...... we should get a fair idea.
its a curiosity more than anything ...... & you'll know as an individual what would be an improved result on last year. ( I know I didn't have a clue what the daily average was)

Chris

eotbmg
17-01-2009, 10:19 AM
My votes were 2 for Monduran and 1 for Awoonga. Only one trip to Awoonga this year over 5 long days we did struggle to land the 5. We did land a few more at Mondy this year, although we did more trips there, and now use different techniques to find fish[ tying to trees, plastics in timber, fishing the weed banks] all adds up to a more tricks in the bag scenario. Unfortunately there were some Pastries on offer, did 2 trips for the dreaded. Back to back. Relief to land the first one on a trip is an under statement. GOt the mexicans arriving on Thursday for a 4 day sesh at Mondy, which puts the pressure on a bit, hopefully we can find some!!!!!!!
Ben

NAGG
17-01-2009, 10:20 AM
NAGG you have way to much time on your hands.Landed 3 this morning at Awoonga.

I'm in the middle of packing up my unit & worst still cleaning it ...... So I need an excuse to have a break ;D

chris

NAGG
17-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Ok, this year Im keping a better log, but best I can figure, there was one trip to A for a donut, and 13 trips to M, for one donut, over 23 days, with, I think, 41 fish netted in my boat, of which 6 were a meter plus. That equals 1.78 fish caught per day up there, myself and crew combined, un-real when you consider that a day is normally 12 to 14 hours on the water. I didnt count dropped fish, which would punch that number up a bit, I had a real bad trot of dropping fish spread over half a dozen trips last year. The Mondy donut trip saw me conect to, then subsuquently drop, 4 fish, inc what would have been a new pb I think. The jury is still out on that, at first I thought it was the body shape and hook placement on the lure I was using, but in the end I put it down to non-commited fish swiping and cheek hooking, so Ive changed rod angles a bit, adjusted drag setings a bit loser, and tried a couple of other things to see how that makes a differance.
So I voted 2 fish per day average mate.
Now, if you really want to cry, add up the costs of your IBD for the year and divide by number of fish netted, to calculate a net dollar value per fish!

Hey Brian ....... That will come :'(

BR65
17-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Include accommadation, camping, fuel for car, pro rata on rego and maintainence of tow vehicle, boat costs, rods, reels, sip, line, leader, terminal tackle, lures and plastics.Think I'll go lie down for a bit

SQUIDDA
17-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Fair enough NAGG.See ya at the ramp soon!!

NAGG
17-01-2009, 07:46 PM
So what are we thinking at this stage ???? Based on the reports last year - these numbers seem to reflect that:-/

Chris

BR65
17-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I know what my head is telling me, numbers down across the board, size up at Monduran.
The funny part is weve all made an effort to be better fishos this past season, attenton to detail, get out of the rut, look for the signs, and its still tuff.

NAGG
17-01-2009, 08:00 PM
I know what my head is telling me, numbers down across the board, size up at Monduran.
The funny part is weve all made an effort to be better fishos this past season, attenton to detail, get out of the rut, look for the signs, and its still tuff.

Hey Brian ..... As I consider 08 as my freshman year ....... I'll go with what you have said.
I feel we need to learn to be better fisherman ....... otherwise if we do this exercise again next year , we might include a decimal point::) ..... Its going to get tougher ( increased pressure , educated fish ....... & who knows what the weather has installed for us

Chris

Callop
18-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Include accommadation, camping, fuel for car, pro rata on rego and maintainence of tow vehicle, boat costs, rods, reels, sip, line, leader, terminal tackle, lures and plastics.Think I'll go lie down for a bit
The first rule of fishing - never ever ever ever ever ever calculate $ per fish

NAGG
19-01-2009, 06:19 AM
The first rule of fishing - never ever ever ever ever ever calculate $ per fish

Dave .... I thought that rule only applies to table fish ;) This for most of us is just sport !

Chris

Tropicaltrout
19-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey Brian ..... As I consider 08 as my freshman year ....... I'll go with what you have said.
I feel we need to learn to be better fisherman ....

Chris

You are very right mate but I think we should learn to take our time....

Fishing for barra is a funny thing for me I go away to mondy for a bit of time out and a chance to catch the one fish we all desire, I dont do it to to be a better fisho I do it strictly to unwind because its the one thing on this earth I can do that takes all my daily goings on away.... Camping, tackle, boats, and a few beers are all part of the affliction but cost is never part of it.

Dont take this the wrong way but so many of a angler is so tied up with all the info thats is given they simply dont understand it or try to hard to do it all in one trip they seem to loose sight of why they are there in the first place....

Now as a angler I am as much as a novice as the next bloke and I love to learn and put things into practice but as far as stressing about if I am doing it right or workout things I just cant grasp, I say to heck with it, it will come to me one day but until then fish hard, camp rough and drink a few beers and relax.....;D

Cheers Nath

Steve B
19-01-2009, 08:13 PM
After reading this I went back and added up my stats for past 2 years. I actually landed more fish in 2008 than 2007 but the average was less. Funny stat, my first few months here back in 2006 was my best fishing!!. The more I fish the worse I get!! could be something in that. Simplicity kicked ass back then........who knows mabey it still does!!!!

2006 sept 12 -dec31 13 days 44 fish landed (average over 3)
2007 Monduran - 46 days on water 97 fish landed (average over 2)
2008 Monduran -59 days for 113 landed (average under 2)
2009- 1 trip 1 fish!

cheers Steve

DEANO68
19-01-2009, 08:51 PM
After reading this I went back and added up my stats for past 2 years. I actually landed more fish in 2008 than 2007 but the average was less. Funny stat, my first few months here back in 2006 was my best fishing!!. The more I fish the worse I get!! could be something in that. Simplicity kicked ass back then........who knows mabey it still does!!!!

2009- 1 trip 1 fish!

cheers Steve

shite, hope my averages dont go that way....:o

NAGG
19-01-2009, 09:25 PM
You are very right mate but I think we should learn to take our time....

Fishing for barra is a funny thing for me I go away to mondy for a bit of time out and a chance to catch the one fish we all desire, I dont do it to to be a better fisho I do it strictly to unwind because its the one thing on this earth I can do that takes all my daily goings on away.... Camping, tackle, boats, and a few beers are all part of the affliction but cost is never part of it.

Dont take this the wrong way but so many of a angler is so tied up with all the info thats is given they simply dont understand it or try to hard to do it all in one trip they seem to loose sight of why they are there in the first place....

Now as a angler I am as much as a novice as the next bloke and I love to learn and put things into practice but as far as stressing about if I am doing it right or workout things I just cant grasp, I say to heck with it, it will come to me one day but until then fish hard, camp rough and drink a few beers and relax.....;D

Cheers Nath

Hey Nath

As we all know everyone gets something different out of their barra fishing ....... & what you have said fits the bill of many.
I know I can sound like a wally butt give me give me more barra - type ........ & if thats the way it come across ..... I can live with that :)
The reality is ...... I want to catch fish! - My drive is to catch fish every time I put on the water ......... & to this point of time with the best part of a 3000km round trip to deal with ...... it becomes easier to understand the drive :P So for me to catch fish - Trips need to be planned ...... "I's dotted & T's crossed! " Information is king .... But I get a great deal of satisfaction of learning along the way .......Then I love sharing my experiences with others & hearing theirs 8-)
Its not a case of being over obsessed to the point of angst ........ As those who have fished with me know - I do like to have fun at the same time!

Then when it comes to the time of getting off the water after a long day ....... The whole camping, beer & BS comes into its own:P :D .......

Chris

NAGG
19-01-2009, 09:40 PM

2009- 1 trip 1 fish!

cheers Steve

Hey Steve

You're the type that buggers up statistics::) I'd dare say that you didn't string too many consecutive days together because you can fish whenever you wish (more or less) - It makes it in some ways so much harder than someone fishing over 4 or 5 days! - I know our results improve after 2 or even 3 days
I'd also dare say that you tried plenty of left field stuff as well on your trips - Most of us are still fishing basically!.
i'm glad to see you had those stats ...... because it does dispel the idea that barra fishing is about yanking a bucket load of fish into the boat.
A 2 fish average based on 50ish days ......... Is something to die for -:P GOOD STUFF

Chris

Bad_Bazza
20-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Nagg,
Wouldn't catch rate per hour/s give a better perspective?
As an example I have spent 4 hours on the water after arriving at A or M and caught 2 or 3 fish and then I have spent a 10 hour day and caught 1 or no fish.
Using no of hour/s per fish gives a much better perspective of catch rates.
Using the examples above say 3 fish caught for 14 hours equates to a catch rate of a fish per 4.7 hours instead of 1.5 fish per day.
I have to say though most people are not as anal as myself and do not diarise their daily stats and information such as ffishing time,lures used, hit, hookups and fish landed.
My stats since starting impoundment barra fishing read 107 days on the water for 314 barra and 801 hours. This equates to 2.55 hours spent per fish or 2.93 fish per day.

Bad_ Bazza

NAGG
20-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Nagg,
Wouldn't catch rate per hour/s give a better perspective?
As an example I have spent 4 hours on the water after arriving at A or M and caught 2 or 3 fish and then I have spent a 10 hour day and caught 1 or no fish.
Using no of hour/s per fish gives a much better perspective of catch rates.
Using the examples above say 3 fish caught for 14 hours equates to a catch rate of a fish per 4.7 hours instead of 1.5 fish per day.
I have to say though most people are not as anal as myself and do not diarise their daily stats and information such as ffishing time,lures used, hit, hookups and fish landed.
My stats since starting impoundment barra fishing read 107 days on the water for 314 barra and 801 hours. This equates to 2.55 hours spent per fish or 2.93 fish per day.

Bad_ Bazza

Hi Bazza

Its too hard too put all those decimal places in::) - Besides ...Its not meant to be definitive ...... just an idea ( I too left out 3 hour arrival sessions..... as they are more a look) ..... I think most cottoned onto it

Nothing wrong with being thorough ( I wasn't going to say anal:-X ) Good on you for being able to break it down to hours.
I'm going to document a little more information this year ....... nothing wrong with that

Chris

Steve B
20-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Chris, yeah I have been looking into reasons why, definatley stringing 3-5 days together for a travelling angler gives them a better perspective of whats going on and a chance to master a few things in that time.

2008 I did try more 'out there' type stuff and that may have contributed to more doughnuts in 2008, but there was good sessions with 4-6 fish. I found 2007 a considerable more consistant year, the fish behaved consistantly and areas which consistantly produced fish did for most of the year, where as 2008 was tougher for the majority, but when they fired....they really fired. Whats going to happen in 2009..?????? Interesting thoughts??? I am going to steer away from the impoundments a bit for a few months....There are so many other species to target around here (coast) It may help to chase a few of them for a while. There is a method in my maddness. hard to explain, but I need to get out and fish other species for a while to get my hunger for the impoundment horses back.

Steve

2 fish average.....I was suprised when I worked that out. I thought '''mmm that aint that good....should I post that!"" but I did it in the hope that it gives a true perspective of how tough this place can be at times, contrary to what is often written in magazines.

NAGG
20-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Chris, yeah I have been looking into reasons why, definatley stringing 3-5 days together for a travelling angler gives them a better perspective of whats going on and a chance to master a few things in that time.

2008 I did try more 'out there' type stuff and that may have contributed to more doughnuts in 2008, but there was good sessions with 4-6 fish. I found 2007 a considerable more consistant year, the fish behaved consistantly and areas which consistantly produced fish did for most of the year, where as 2008 was tougher for the majority, but when they fired....they really fired. Whats going to happen in 2009..?????? Interesting thoughts??? I am going to steer away from the impoundments a bit for a few months....There are so many other species to target around here (coast) It may help to chase a few of them for a while. There is a method in my maddness. hard to explain, but I need to get out and fish other species for a while to get my hunger for the impoundment horses back.

Steve

2 fish average.....I was suprised when I worked that out. I thought '''mmm that aint that good....should I post that!"" but I did it in the hope that it gives a true perspective of how tough this place can be at times, contrary to what is often written in magazines.

I understand where you are coming from ...... you can get a little over it ( for me it was golf) ....... Mate you have some pretty good target species up your way ( even wild barra) ........ I love lurecasting the mangroves .... so I plan to do a bit of it too once I'm up north.

On your 2 fish average ........ I think its a great result really - specially when you tinker a bit ...... glad you put it up ( as you said .... a true perspective)

anyhow talk soon

Chris

Peter4
20-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Steve,

I reckon most travelling anglers (including us) would be absolutely rapt with a 2 fish per day average. The changing conditions between trips always make it difficult......you're probably being far too hard on yourself!

Pete

Steve B
20-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Steve,

I reckon most travelling anglers (including us) would be absolutely rapt with a 2 fish per day average. The changing conditions between trips always make it difficult......you're probably being far too hard on yourself!

Pete

Actually Pete I am pretty happy with that to tell the truth! A few other factors keep the average down.....kids, work and wife!!;D

cheers Steve

NAGG
21-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Interesting results so far ...... Keep em coming

clearly some tough fishing last year :( ...... but also switched on Fishoes did well too:)

Chris

darylive
21-01-2009, 09:12 PM
[quote=BR65;956301]

Holy Crap, their not cheap! Lucky I only caught a few! ::)

NAGG
22-01-2009, 06:58 AM
[quote=BR65;956301]

Holy Crap, their not cheap! Lucky I only caught a few! ::)

& when we do get one ..... we usually put it back ::) ........ That's IBD for you 8-)
Glad I never sit down to work out the cost ........ I might feel depressed & go buy a new barra outfit:P

Chris

darylive
26-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I did! Tiera

NAGG
26-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I did! Tiera

Did it make you feel better:P

Chris

darylive
28-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Always does.

darylive
28-01-2009, 10:47 PM
but then you lookin the shed and think do I really need 20+ fishing outfits?

NAGG
29-01-2009, 08:59 AM
but then you lookin the shed and think do I really need 20+ fishing outfits?

That's a rhetorical question .... right ?

darylive
29-01-2009, 09:54 PM
.............right!

Archer
31-01-2009, 08:37 PM
[quote=darylive;958820][quote=NAGG;956318]

& when we do get one ..... we usually put it back ::) ........ That's IBD for you 8-)
Glad I never sit down to work out the cost ........ I might feel depressed & go buy a new barra outfit:P

Chris

See Chris, Thats where your going wrong!
If you follow my lead and never land a barra its cost you nothing per fish....;D ::) :-/ :'(

Joe

Dick Pasfield
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Interesting results so far ...... Keep em coming

clearly some tough fishing last year :( ...... but also switched on Fishoes did well too:)

Chris

Agreed, at least by the figures and that's all I can make a judgment from having never seen either place.

The broader spread across Awoonga, an impoundment from all accounts has better educated fish in it suggests either a different type of angler fishes there or the environmental constraints were very different, those assumptions are reinforced by the large number of less than 1 votes for Monduran.

Those closer would have a better understanding, be interesting to see what the poll looked like with ten times the data

NAGG
04-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Agreed, at least by the figures and that's all I can make a judgment from having never seen either place.

The broader spread across Awoonga, an impoundment from all accounts has better educated fish in it suggests either a different type of angler fishes there or the environmental constraints were very different, those assumptions are reinforced by the large number of less than 1 votes for Monduran.

Those closer would have a better understanding, be interesting to see what the poll looked like with ten times the data

Hi Dick

Good comment there & I agree that it would be good to see the results based on a higher level of input.
The poll also would have been better if it also showed some other information ..... but thats not possible.
The good thing is that we can now do this again next year & see how things compared.
Having fished both destinations on a few occasions now ........ The results don't surprise me !
IMO ...... I think the barra are harder to find in Monduran with topography playing a big part in the results. Just maybe 3 x the stocking in Awoonga has had an influence too::) .
For me ....... Its why I try to include both destinations during our run up to Qld .... rather than just traveling to the closer Monduran!

cheers

Chris

darylive
11-02-2009, 08:16 PM
clearly very few people catch fish at Monduran :'(

So it is best if you all go to Awoonga ::)

Monduran...... Nothing to see here 8-)