PDA

View Full Version : townsville formosa

xxxx4ever
16-01-2009, 09:31 PM
looking at trading the current 4.2m unit for a 5.5m centre cab formosa with 115 to push it along, any feedback from current or previous owners would be great. Any thoughts on this type of unit around townsville would be good too.

Rod Fishing
16-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Mate drop Levinge a PM he willbe able to assist you with this he has 595 centre cab.

Are you living in Townsville yourself? If you are welcome to the Ville you will find us Ausfishers up here are a friendly bunch that enjoy a beer or 9. Have you heard about the Meet & Greet at Mission Beach on the Aussie Day long weekend.

Cheers Rod....8-)

levinge
17-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Morning xxx4ever, Rod gave you the right info. I do have the big brother to the one your looking at. Fully kitted with all the bells and whistles. I purchased mine through the dealership up at Mission Beach - The Tinnie Shack. Great support and service from them, very competitive on price. My rig runs a 135hp honda 4 on the back, great holeshot and gets up out of the water really quick.

I originally looked at the 5.5m but went for the 5.8 (early 2008) but when I ordered mine they had modded the 5.8m into a 5.95m. If you want any info, please let me know as I researched this boat for quite a long time prior to putting pen to paper.

What I can tell you is:

Ride - really good, stable at slow speed and really good up on the plane.

Safety - had it out in everything right up to 25kts and 3m swell, came home safe and dry, helps having a big beamy bum on her, sits well.

fuel economy - with the honda I am getting excellent economy, I can to a run out to Keeper Reef and back on just under half a tank (150ltr tank), around a 90nm/167km round trip, look close to 2.38km to the litre giving you a basic cruise range of around 357km's or 192nm.

Comfort - she's plate so you will get a little banging in the rougher stuff, but when the weather is ideal, she is brilliant.

Stability - have had 3 big guys onboard all leaning over the side (test) and the liste was very minimal.

Fishability of the Centre Cab - Great, we've had Spaniards, GT, Sharks do loops around the boat and we were able to fish with ease.

Trailable - retrieve and launch are really easy - I am running a Redco Sportsman dual axle trailer and hae not had any problems at all with it. She slides off easy and can drive or winch on easy. Tip - change over the wire cable for Spectra braided line, it has a 4900kg breaking strain and won't rust, burr or cut you.

Overall I am extremely happy with the rig. If your in Townsville, let me know if you want to have a look over my rig to get a better idea of the setup..

xxxx4ever
17-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Rod fishing thanks for the info, I do enjoy a beer or nine............teen, can't make the M&G bllody work but will keep an eye out for future townsville events

xxxx4ever
17-01-2009, 08:53 PM
levinge, sounds like a top unit in particular being able to fish all around & minimal listing with more than 1 person to one side (i'm not small) If you don't mind I'll be in touch soon to check out your unit, as I'm in Townsville, only heard good things about the guys from the tinnie shack. Is the redco trailer standard??

levinge
17-01-2009, 09:54 PM
It is standard with The Tinnie Shack, however, I believe if you want a different brand they will accommodate you. I bought all my electronics from the US (Back when the $$ was good) and they were more than happy to install them for me.

Same thing with the Motor, whatever you want they will help you out, but they do Tohatsu and Honda, what Dean doesn't know about Honda, hasn't been written yet. He is tops with these boats. The Honda's seem really well paired with the rig.

They originally were using Swiftco trailers but due to a few problems with the trailers and structure, they went away from them to Redco as their default trailers.

Another thing, if you get one from SE QLD they will only put a Single axle trailer on the 550 as standard, but The Tinnie Shack do the Redco Sportsman dual axle as a standard fit on both models.

As I said before I looked at both and ended up going for the bigger brother as there is more room in the rear for fishing, gear, esky etc.

PM me anytime this week as I will be home and if I have time and the weather is good enough, I'll put her on the water and you can have a wet test.