PDA

View Full Version : Removing stains from gelcoat

ShaneC
16-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi all,

As the title suggests I am after a bit of info on products to remove stains from gelcoat. I have started to get a rusty coloured stain coming from my nav lights and it is running down the side of the boatcausing a stain. I suspect this is due to non stainless screws being used inside the nav lights that have started to leech and the dirty stuff is coming out of the bottom of the lights.

I have two questions....These stains are very hard to remove. Is there a product that anyone knows of that will aid me in removing the stains?? Have tried elbow grease with polish but to no avail...

Q2. Should I be pissed off that these stains are starting to appear on a boat from a reputable manufacturer that is not even close to a year old? The boat is always thoroughly washed down and covered, and granted it is on an airdock in a saltwater area, but the boat is not in the water, and as I said I have always taken care to scrub it down after use. Any one else had a hassle like this?? I would be interested to know if I am justified in my annoyance at this or if I am just being a whinger...

Thanks in advance.
Shane

muzzytt
16-01-2009, 07:44 PM
there is a product sold from BCF that removed those stains from my old Haines boat . Ill have to check its name when i duck into garage..

Tinshack
16-01-2009, 08:07 PM
CLR will do the job, can buy it from supermarket, it is claimed to remove calcium, lime & rust. I have used it on gelcoat with success. If it is really difficult to remove then acetone will work but use a white rag as it will remove the colour from the rag. Cheers.

Roughasguts
16-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Septone drifter could be the stuff.

It's diluted battery acid.

finga
16-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Warantee would fix it.
It's under a year old for God's sake.
Goods clearly not good enough for intended use.

ShaneC
16-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I tend to agree with you Finga. But, what do you think I should approach them with in regards to a solution?? I dont want it to keep happening.... Until then I wil attempt to clean the sain, and take photos for reference with manufacturer

rowanda
16-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi
just removed a heap of stains from my boat as well. Used K&H Gelcoat restorer (an acid based cleaner) was really easy to use and can just be used in small sections if required, or simply just use acetone. Acetone works really easy and just make sure you apply a little wax after where you have wiped it as the acetone will remove it. Re applying the wax should also make it easier to clean it next time (should there be a next time). I also would go back and tell them not good enough, but if no luck, try the above
Rowan

Angla
16-01-2009, 09:03 PM
You could find that it is corrosion from the electrical wire or contacts in the fitting. When you cover the boat does the cover allow air movement. If the temperature increases under the cover that would cause an increase in corrosion. I have also started washing my boat with a saltx product rather than a detergent boat wash.

If it was mine I would remove the offending light and clean the surface with a cutting wax designed for gelcoat then a nice liquid polish to seal the surface. re install the cleaned up light (or a new one with LEDs) using stainless screws and a good sealant.

I use 3M Marine Fibreglass Cleaner and Wax and then 3M Clean and Shine Wax Enhancer that were supplied by CruiseCraft for nothing.

It's not a big job but at least then you will know the quality of the work thats been done and that would save you any hassle with the boat builder.