PDA

View Full Version : What’s the thinnest mono line on the market

spears
15-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Who makes the thinnest mono line on the market in the 20LB strength.
Wanting to use it straight down no casting.On a spinning reel.
I have been using braid for such a long time that I’ve lost knowledge in the mono dept.

Bladeca
15-01-2009, 07:46 PM
The thinnest I've found in the mono is Platypus Super 100. 20lb comes in at 0.31mm where most seem to be 0.35mm to 0.42mm. I've used it in the 12lb size and it was very nice to use on the Alvey. Had good strength and knot tying abilities.

Cheers
Glenn

breamnut
15-01-2009, 07:59 PM
i second that

theoldlegend
16-01-2009, 06:17 AM
I third that.

Wait on, having said that, you might want to check out the Shimano Beastmaster mono as well. It's very thin also.

TOL

NAGG
16-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Who makes the thinnest mono line on the market in the 20LB strength.
Wanting to use it straight down no casting.On a spinning reel.
I have been using braid for such a long time that I’ve lost knowledge in the mono dept.

OK .... I'll be the mug - Why mono ? (specially in up & down fishing)

Strewth
16-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Damyl Tectan

finga
16-01-2009, 06:48 AM
I have not got any 20lb but I have some 10kg stuff coming in at 0.379mm.
So I'd imagine the 20lb would be smaller.
It's Shogun Tournament S. IGFA class so the specs must be okky dokky.

oldboot
16-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I can think of a number of reasons "why mono?".

Many lines on the boat don't want to cut up others.

Don't want any leader joins or other tackle between the reel and hook.

Cant be bothered tying complicated knots.

Getting busted / bitten off so frequently its just quicker and cheaper.

Specificaly want some stretch in the line.

Have a thing about the smooth silky touch of nylon.

Historic angling.

doing it for a bet.

I am sure there are others.

I am running platapus melinium on a couple of rods and that is considerably thinner than stsndard mono...20lb is about the same as 15Lb standard mono...30Lb is about the same as 20lb standard mono.

From what I have been told the super 100 is thinner than the melinium but not as well behaved.

cheers
cheers

Reefmaster
16-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Historic angling.

doing it for a bet.

I am running platapus melinium on a couple of rods and that is considerably thinner than stsndard mono...20lb is about the same as 15Lb standard mono...30Lb is about the same as 20lb standard mono.

From what I have been told the super 100 is thinner than the melinium but not as well behaved.

cheers
cheers

Well said...
There's a place for both types of line but just because everyone tells you Braid is best doesn't in anyway mean that it is...

People dont realise that most succesful competition fishermen use mono and hate braid... Stretch is a very important factor on big fish. Running long leaders upto 10 mtrs long is the key when using braid on big offshore fish..

I love my mono and always feel safe pulling big fish with it...

Regards,
Greg

oldboot
16-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep yep yep.......all we seem to hear these days is braid this and braid that.

I can buy 500meters of top shelf mono for arround $20 to $30, if the bargings are going my way.( and they usualy are be cause every bugger wants braid)

how much and what sort of quality braif will you get for $30.

that length of mono will spool up 1 alvey or up to 3 threadlines;D

Now if i look after that mono I could reasonable fish that length of mono for 10 years, it doesn't fray or fade and i can just pull more line off the spool to make my leaders.
And my mono wont cut my anchor rope or bust off if it so much as touches the bottom of the boat or the prop.

Braid is a wonderfull thing, but it aint the only thing.

cheers

spears
16-01-2009, 10:51 AM
OK .... I'll be the mug - Why mono ? (specially in up & down fishing)
Hi NAGG,
One spot where I go has a sunken wreck and has snapper and shark in only 100ft of water and braid has been a pain especially when it gets caught up on the wreck.

The other thing was just curious about is how thin has the mono gotten to over the years.
Looks like the Platypus Super 100 is the way to go for me.
I’ll test run it and see what happens.

NAGG
16-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi NAGG,
One spot where I go has a sunken wreck and has snapper and shark in only 100ft of water and braid has been a pain especially when it gets caught up on the wreck.

The other thing was just curious about is how thin has the mono gotten to over the years.
Looks like the Platypus Super 100 is the way to go for me.
I’ll test run it and see what happens.

Hi Spears

We overcame that issue by going with 5M of Shock leader ...... worked a treat & it still gave you that direct feel that you get with braid ........ We were doing it for big kings & Jewies (30 & 50lb braid) - 40lb leader

reidy
16-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Historic angling.

doing it for a bet.

cheers
cheers
and the lost 40 min untangling the two mates lines that have become conected to my braid 30m up the line.Spend the time untangling or cut it off 30m short.:o
fing poo stuff last time i use braid with a boat full of heads.;D
Cheers
Reidy

Alan Hawk
16-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Damyl Tectan

This is the correct answer http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

tailorboi99
16-01-2009, 05:01 PM
The Platypus Super 100 is the thinnest as others have said.

Tom

Strewth
16-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Damyl Tectan, 15lb, 0.28mm dia.
Platypus super 100, 15lb, 0.27mm dia.

Damyl Tectan, 28.8lbs, 0.40mm dia.
Platypus super 100, 30lb, 0.41mm dia.

Very similar?

bigboss
16-01-2009, 09:19 PM
thin line is all good depending on the situation(beaches trolling) but around snags ,deep reef fishing and big fish slugging I use thicker mono coz (mono ain't mono)In shallow water fishing try using red or pink colour line coz it is more transparent than all other colours.

Hairy_Harold
17-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd say super 100 as most have said but I will add. Going thinner mono would defeat the purpose of having mono as the thinner it is the less abrasion resistance you get. The only real advantage is maybe having more line for a heavier line class than other mono lines and cheaper then braid.

deepfried
17-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Going thinner mono would defeat the purpose of having mono as the thinner it is the less abrasion resistance you get. The only real advantage is maybe having more line for a heavier line class than other mono lines and cheaper then braid.

Well said.

Scott

Tangles
18-01-2009, 08:54 AM
tried that Super 100 stuff, didnt like it as much as regular mono, i found it had bad memory

mike

WestOzDesertFisher
18-01-2009, 02:43 PM
tried that Super 100 stuff, didnt like it as much as regular mono, i found it had bad memory

mike
Call me stupid but i have never understood line memory. Can anyone help me out?

spears
18-01-2009, 02:49 PM
It retains a coil or spiral in the line when it comes off the spool..

HUH..bad memory..what was the question again..;D

sulla
18-01-2009, 07:52 PM
hi i found a mono line thiner than any previously mentioned only prob is you have to order it online form the uk or uk ebay though its made in japan its called teklon gold

13.6lb = 0.22
17.8lb = 0.25
23.3lb = 0.30
30.7lb = 0.35
40.5lb = 0.40
check out the 30 pound the same as most 16lb if there a mono thinner than this stuff i would like to know about it ive got some of the 30.7 pound
i wanted some for my pendulam casting rod fed up with braid bird nests on my over head and i hered about this stuff through a really good bloke called graham from victoria who makes casting sinkers for pendulam casters he also pendulam casts
In the uk teklon gold is very popular check at veals uk anybody whose interested in looking at the line