PDA

View Full Version : Another which boat thread

NormC
15-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Son is getting married soon. His future father-in-law and I are looking to possibly buy him and bride a tinnie fro a wedding present. There is a restricted budget and we want the most boat we can for our $. Mostly sheltered water, but want it suitable for limited open water use and able to handle some chop.

Based on our research so far and prices offered, we have narrowed choice to:

Stacer 4.29 Seahorse with 30 HP Mercury 2 stroke. Comes with floor, tank shelf, safety gear, trailer

The other option is is the Blue Fin 4.2 with same motor and set up, but this one includes side pockets.

Best prices are within $100 of each other. Motor is the same, so the only real difference is the hull. Both 2mm bottom and 1.6mm sides. But the specs for Stacer say it weights 164KG. Blue Fin weighs 125 KG. That is a big difference for similar boats. Both have similar beam and depth. Perhaps the Blue Fin is much shallower at the back and has less ribs?

Anyone got any info that might help in the final decision. I think son and his wife will be very happy eaither way, but I want to make sure we get the best we can for them within the budget.

Thanks,

Norm C

Blackened
15-01-2009, 04:51 PM
G'day

Asides from warranty.... check each hull for build construction and quality.... otherwise flip a coin

Dave

Chimo
15-01-2009, 05:04 PM
PM sent

C

brute898
15-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi mate, I have been in a friends sea horse and it was great. We were only in very calm water that was about 4 metres deep in a river so I dont know if it will handle some chop.
It also went good with a 25hp on the back so with the 30hp it would be even better.
I would have a look at each of the boats and see what the build quality is like and decide from there.
Hope this helps

Leighton
15-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Stessco Catcher in the 4.2, 3mm bottom 1.6 side with side decks
I saw a package in the BnB or QFM for around the $7k mark with a 30hp electric start Suzuki

PinHead
15-01-2009, 05:15 PM
stacers break..do a search on here.
bluefin break...ditto.

HOWEVER...I am sure a lot of these weld breaks have a bit to do with how they are driven.

I would have to agree with you..son and DIl should be very happy with whatever boat you purchase.

bigjimg
15-01-2009, 05:35 PM
My Bluefin Mangrove Jack had 3mm bottom 3mm transom sheet 1.6 sides was driven like it was stolen for 4 1/2 years with 30hp mariner.All bay work in all conditions.and it no break.It came with the side decks as a promotion from bluefin for the cost of a standard tinnie at the time.Good boat, well built never let me down.Jim