PDA

View Full Version : Lures - Any advice on some good ones?

Wilko88
15-01-2009, 03:00 PM
So because I'm basically buying all my fishing gear tonight... Anyone got any advice on some good lures to pick up? I'm targeting... Whiting, Bream, Flathead, Trevally and possibly GT's

As always any advice is greatly appreciated and if you've got a lure getting hits from those fish I'd love to know so I can pick one up ;D :P

Cheers,
Dan

snagking
15-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, I suggest you pick up some poppers (fave is bubble pop) for the whiting bream and flatties and travelly... and GT's :D

soft plastics:
Whiting: gulp worms (pumkinseed or the red ones)
Bream: gulp worms, little lures, ect
Flatties: 4inch gulp or squidgy anything ( i prefer paddletail ones)
and I've never targeted trevally or gt's so i cant help you there

snagking
15-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh, and good luck :)

snagking
15-01-2009, 03:27 PM
One other soft plastic
2"gulp banana prawn, it will catch flatties bream whiting everything.

tailorboi99
15-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok mate I know some for all those species.

Trevally - Poppers around the 6cm mark depending on the size you are chasing up the size. Plastics, 3" Berkley Gulp Shrimp in New Penny and as Snagking said the 2" Gulp Bannana Prawn is another excellent plastic, others include the Squidgie S Factor 70mm-110mm. They are the ones I like to catch the Trevally on, also another one is the Berkley Gulp 6" Sandworm in Natural, cut it to a perfect length for the jighead/fish.
Whiting - Not targeted these but I guess the Berkley Gulp 6" Sandworm in Natural would do well, also small poppers such as the Bubble Pop 35 and 45 are awesome as I have noticed from other posts.
Bream - Bream love the Berkley Gulp range because of the scent so the Berkley Gulp 6" Sandworm in Natural are good others include, 75mm Squidgy Pro Lobby in any colour really. The Squidgy Pro Worms are good aswell in Bloodworm. But my favourite is the Squidgy S Factor 75mm Pilly. For HB's the Sx40's and TT Switchblades go great.
Flathead - Anything really just get it near them.

If you need any more info just PM me and I will help :)

Tom

Bennywise
15-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Hey Mate,

Depending on your budget, you can't go past the Ecogear SX-40's. I have caught everything from Whiting to Jacks with these lures.

If you just starting up with lure fishing, I would suggest the Gulp 3inc Grub minnow's. they do not require too much action from the angler and they catch a large variety of fish.

Ben

Mossy247
15-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I agree with the guys I would say go for the Grubs/paddle tails for flatheads, I find the best is in the pumkinseed and watermelon types, 3-4 inch. I have a few Jackall chubbies too they are a lure to swear by, in the prawn finish. I couldn't help you with the trevally but definately get a few different jig head weights to, you would be suprised the amount of fish that will hit the same size sp but on a different jig weight. And most of all Luck, Good luck.
I would definately be listening to tailorboi he cleans up LoL :)

struktcha_man
15-01-2009, 04:41 PM
well I am not a huge hardbody fisho but have caught flattie one em.

viking crank mino and Attack lures about 5cm long.

Attck lures are about 8 dollars each and are great for flattie, the viking crank minow has a good action for flattie.

as for soft plastics worms, minows, mullet in Berkely gulp (just ask for good colors as flattie will hit a lot of different colors).

cheers

tunaticer
15-01-2009, 05:31 PM
It is entirely dependent on where how and when you will be fishing for what target species. It is easy to recommend almost every lure under about 100m for your criteria.

Best advice is to offer a trip out with some guru from the site to a spot you want to fish and watch and learn both what lures he reaches for and what techniques he uses. Then go out and buy a selection that aligns with his trade.

Having everything that glitters and shines will deplete your moneys and leave you frustrated without learning the trade.

Wilko88
15-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Wow! What a awsome response, thanks to everyone who posted back... absolutely fantastic response and very appreciated!

I'll definitely be picking up some of the commonly posted ones here and trying them out =D

tailorboi99
15-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh and Wilko, you should try out the Berkley Gulp Swimming Mullet 3" in Pumpkinseed they are a great flathead lure because of the tail movement.

Good luck and have fun!

snagking
15-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I would definately be listening to tailorboi he cleans up LoL :)

He does? Last time I went with him all he got was catties ;D

bassfan
15-01-2009, 08:33 PM
The Lively Lures micro mullet in hot pink is an effective HB lure to troll or to cast & retreive, and it is a lot cheaper than the Ecogear lures (although I love the Ecogear stuff) . I have caught flatties & bream on them.

The little vibrating blades by TT, Ecogear & a few others are also very effective.

The most important thing when lure fishing is having the confidence to persevere with them. Good luck.

BF

Wilko88
16-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey Guys!

Thanks all again for all your advice really appreciate every bit of it!
So tonight I went over to BCF picked up a bunch of stuff... got a bubble pop 45, and a heap of the soft plastics people had suggested, 3-4" bait fish, 2" prawns, sandworms, etc etc all in the gulp range, basically most of the stuff you all recommended :) so I'll look forward to trying it out over the weekend!

Cheers,
Dan