PDA

View Full Version : Window of opportunity?

Chris_2184
15-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Is it worth hittin awoonga this weekend? or should I maybe try my luck headin out to the reef? saturday seems like the wind is down, but apparently not for long.....should I risk it?

Peter4
15-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Awoonga mate, go for it. Winds ENE to NE 12km to 19km.

That is a calm day on the dam............

SeekingBarradise
15-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Chris, mate as Pete says just go.

It's been tough from all the reports i've heard. Trev has noticed it has got better in the last week. Still testing like impoundment barra always seem to be for us travelling anglers.

If this is your only chance to get a quick trip in as a travelling angler i'd go and not wait. If you are a local you can pick and choose your times etc.

Crowds should be on the downward cycle compared to Xmas which is a good thing. My brother and a mate had what turns out to be a good trip in December.
They noticed if one boat came in too close the area was stuffed and they didn't lift any fish in that area. They had to go to new levels in stealth. No motors cranked - drift in - and minimal use of the electric. Light footsteps etc.

They got 1-2 a day with a couple of follows and bites from working areas for ages
with everything modified with better hooks to help land anything that even got near their presentations.

I see another better Monduran report in the last week (1 fish a day) so hopefully things will be looking up for the coming weeks.

Are you in a recent spearfishing mag? The photo looks familiar.
Good luck cheers lyndon.

aussiebasser
15-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Chris,

My two brothers are there now. They are not experienced Barra guys, although they know how to fish dams. They've got about 6 so far for the week, both casting and trolling.

Awoonga
15-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes go for it.....At least the weather should be bearable.... just !

Chris_2184
15-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm keen!

any pointers on where to target?

Awoonga
15-01-2009, 04:43 PM
.... Mate, there is about three million fish in Awoonga give or take a few.... So lets see... where to start ? warm water...weedbeds... points... What to use ? whatever you have got in that tacklebox of yours...There is no spot x or special lure....Just work them slow......Window of opportunity? Yes but l dont think they will bite there heads off ...This is just another weather change and a small one before the wind returns.....What we need is a constant.....Two weeks of whatever.... Then things should start to happen....

Big_Ren
15-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Good prescription doctor8-) Will catch up soon on the phone for a yak......