PDA

View Full Version : Wind knot blues

bassfan
15-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi all,

I have been very frustrated lately by the ol' wind knot problem with my stradic 2500 which is loaded with 4.5kg fireline, and it doesn't even have to be windy.>:(

My question is does this happen because the line is a few years old, or the way it is wound onto the spool by the reel causing it to twist ?
The Stradic is about 3 or 4 years old, and I'm hoping that a better reel with some new twist buster technology will solve the problem. Any thoughts appreciated...

Peter

Kleyny
15-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Have you tried letting out say 50 odd metres of line out at tolling speed let it sit out there for a bit then wind it back on?

If it twists all by itself this might work.

It did for my whiting setup.

neil

aussiebasser
15-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Check that the bail roller on the Stradic is working properly. I went away from Shimano due to bearings in the bail roller failing. Also try manually returning the bail arm when you cast rather than wind the handle to close it.

bassfan
15-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Have you tried letting out say 50 odd metres of line out at tolling speed let it sit out there for a bit then wind it back on?

If it twists all by itself this might work.

It did for my whiting setup.

neil

Yep, I find this helps for a while but it doesn't take long for the knots to start happening again.

Peter

bassfan
15-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Check that the bail roller on the Stradic is working properly. I went away from Shimano due to bearings in the bail roller failing. Also try manually returning the bail arm when you cast rather than wind the handle to close it.

That's something I haven't checked, I'll give the roller a good lube and check it is working. I always manually return the bail arm on my threadlines as I think it's better for the mechanism.

Peter

oldboot
16-01-2009, 10:35 AM
When you cast do you hold the line against the grip of the rod of do you use your finger against the rim of the spool?

I have taught my self to cast lighter weights off the lip of the spool, this then allows you to stop the flow of line at any point and leaves less slack between the finish of the cast and the take up.
and you have a better chance of stopping extra loops getting blown off the spool.

are you running a swivel, if so is it small enough?

are your baits spinning either in the water or in the air?

is the line laid on you spool evenly.

did you wind the line onto the spool with the reel on the rod or did you have the spool filled as a straight wind in a machine?

when you ran your line out the back of the boat did you put a ball sinker and aswivel on the end to give the line a bit of tension.

Have you tried laying out 50 odd meters of out and applying tension with your fingers to lay the line on the spool firmly?

all things that might, perhaps help

cheers

BilgeBoy
17-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I find the newer the line is the worse it is. Like a good wine...braid gets better with some age (it does for me anyway). I would also look long and hard at your braid to leader knot. I use a Bimini Twist in the braid and then join the leader to the double in the braid with a double Uni. This cuts down the knot size and greatly reduced the wind knots. I also NEVER cast into the wind as braid is so light that it just wants to loop up on itself. If you have to... cast fast and flat!

I hope you get it sorted because it can be very frustrating for sure.

BilgeBoy

Jeremy87
17-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Check your line roller, the things can cease up without you even realising.

Hairy_Harold
18-01-2009, 12:26 PM
The only two problems i've had with wind knots is either over filling the spool or when the line softens up a lot. Seem to me that when fireline is new and stiff it stays on the spool better

marty+jojo
18-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Get a Daiwa!

Crisp Bee
18-01-2009, 08:57 PM
If you are casting a lot, the line will twist, and will keep twisting.
Honky Dory said it , you need to run your line out at trolling speed (without any hooks or lure) and it will pull all of the twist out of the line. I find it needs to be done very often, like every trip out at least.

bassfan
19-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Get a Daiwa!

Doin' that as we speak....Luvias to be precise.:P

BF

bassfan
19-01-2009, 12:26 PM
If you are casting a lot, the line will twist, and will keep twisting.
Honky Dory said it , you need to run your line out at trolling speed (without any hooks or lure) and it will pull all of the twist out of the line. I find it needs to be done very often, like every trip out at least.

Yep I've been doing that but not often enough I suspect. Hope the new Luvias solves the problem with it's twist buster technology......;)

BF