PDA

View Full Version : Haines 575F With Verado?

tommie
14-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi guys,

Need some help. Have a 2004 575f that I want to fit a Verado 150hp to. The maximum transom weight capacity is 230kg and the motor weighs 239kgs. Haines have said that it will sit low at the back and with the self draining deck we may get water in if there is 2-3 blokes fishing at the rear. I don't use the self draining deck anyway so it doesn't worry me but will affect the boat 's performance on the plane? I currently have a 140hp merc saltwater series and whilst a good motor it's heavy on the juice and bloody noisy when trolling. The Optimax was the next choice but I'm keen on the 4 stroke. As far as the other four strokes go, the Honda is 220kgs, the Yamaha is also 220kg and the Suzuki is 215kgs. Does the extra weight, be it 9kg over Haines's spec really make a difference? nLooking for advice from anyone with a similar boat/motor or even alternative four stroke motor option.

Thanks in advance.

Tri N Hard
14-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Mate whack a 135hp optimax on it and it will fly less weight good on fuel.If u go for the 150hp 4 banga with the extra weight and a couple of people fishing u will find when your fishinf in slopy condition the motor will get drowned and u wont be happy,u should use your s draining deck there a good thing specialy when the back of the boat gets a a bit fishy u can hit the floor with the deck wash or a few buckets of water easy clean up

pilchardjones
15-01-2009, 07:16 AM
tommie,
not sure about your 150 verado issue, but i would think on the plane you would not know the difference. At rest with a couple of people standing in the corners it may sit low, but it is easy to test - just work out how much heavier the verado is than the current 140, and add that weight in a drum of water s far back as you can get it, then stand however people you normally have standing down there and see how it reacts out in a bit of sea at rest.

BTW a mate of mine just fitted a 140 suzuki to his 575f and loves it. very quick planing, good cruise and a top speed of about 30kts i think.

steve

lethal098
15-01-2009, 09:59 AM
i would say it would creat insurance issues if something happened, eg transom damage and motor damage, as the manufacturer states the weight it could give the insurance company a get out of claim. ask them first if they would still cover claim. it would be like towing over weight in your car. may not be happy ending. cheers lethal

Vitamin Sea
15-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi

agree wiyh Lethal, you WILL create insurance issues in the event of a claim, no question.

As we all know insurance agencies do not need much of an excuse to not fork out.

Go the 135 or 150 Opti, can't go wrong

Cheers

Bill

tommie
15-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys,

I'd thought about the optimax and suzuki and will probably go with the optimax. With the change in the dollar the Suzuki has gone upto 22k. Mercury has got price increases by upto 20% in two weeks time. I've been quoted 16k for a 150hp optimax which I think is pretty good and they come in at 195kg (extra long).

Thanks again for taking the time.

Tommie