PDA

View Full Version : lake lenthal diasaster

Raydog
14-01-2009, 07:26 PM
hi everyone just a quick question i need to know restrictions on lake lenthals regarding boat size and motor as my son was asked to leave after travelling 4 hours ,he has 3.95 allycraft with electric motor and a 25hp mercury.he was asked not to even cast from the bank.:o

slyman
14-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Theres some info on engine restrictions on this link...

http://www.widebaywater.qld.gov.au/residential/lenthalldam.php

chewy01
14-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Mate give it a miss,there are better places to fish, most of the fish went over the wall.Its just not worth the ag associated with trying to fish the place.Im hearing now it may not be opened permanently to camping ever.Not sure what the go is with wide bay water but its just easier to fish somewhere else.

Raydog
14-01-2009, 07:39 PM
lake lenthal diasaster
still should be allowed to use electric only new minnkota

Raydog
14-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Mate give it a miss,there are better places to fish, most of the fish went over the wall.Its just not worth the ag associated with trying to fish the place.Im hearing now it may not be opened permanently to camping ever.Not sure what the go is with wide bay water but its just easier to fish somewhere else.

thanks for info will drive xtra km s to monduran 8-)

chewy01
14-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Mate there is still good bass and barra fishing,especially if mondy is fishing hard. just send me a pm if ur heading up. No rangers to deal with either.YOu cannot even get in the gate at lenthalls with a 2 stroke bigger than 6hp i think. all the ideas have been floated to wbw eg.removing fuel tanks,propellors etc. Its just a pity there isnt a workable fish ladder on the burrum.I think they just dont want people fishingthere as most ppl will do the right thing coz its truly a great place to fish.Anyhow its done wonders for barra fishing in the salt in the burrum :)

NAGG
14-01-2009, 09:54 PM
What a shame about Lenthals ..... It looks like an awesome place - but why bother when you cant fish 2 prime bites (sunrise & sunset) :'( .....

Look elsewhere

chris

slyman
14-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I fished it a few years go while they were putting in the new camping stuff and upgrading the spillway, caught my first bass there, very nice little dam.

BARRAkid
14-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Im with chewy.... waste of time in my opinion there is so many other places within 100km of lenthals that fishes way better and you don't have to deal with any of the shit from the rangers.
The way the lake is now you probably would have been wasteing your time anyways i haven't heard a decent report with pics from lenthals in a long time.
It should have been left as it was and maybe there would be fish getting caught there still. This time last year my mates where pulling 40 - 50 barra out in a session they started catching more barra then bass pitty it will take a long time to get back to that. :(

cheers BK

chris69
15-01-2009, 11:13 AM
hi all if you can only be on this dam with 4st&dfi 2st up to 60hp how come they have let the ABT guys go on the dam with 250hp rules for us and rules for them??????????

MeePee_99
15-01-2009, 11:33 AM
hi all if you can only be on this dam with 4st&dfi 2st up to 60hp how come they have let the ABT guys go on the dam with 250hp rules for us and rules for them??????????

When was this???

In series 2,3,4 of afc, there was only a speed restriction in place at the time not the hp limit which is now in place.

Leigh77
15-01-2009, 11:51 AM
The horsepower rating has been in place for years...just that it was widely ignored until recent times. The first time I fished the place, I called the head of the local stocking assoc the day before, just to find out more about the place and if there were any restrictions. This was about 8 years ago now.

He told me that there was a 6hp max rating on the dam, but when I told him I have a 25hp 4 stroke, he replied "dont worry about it anyway, no one else does!".

The horsepower limit was still being widely ignored while the AFC were there, however they did have to comply to the speed limit.

Leigh

MeePee_99
15-01-2009, 02:24 PM
The horsepower rating has been in place for years...just that it was widely ignored until recent times. The first time I fished the place, I called the head of the local stocking assoc the day before, just to find out more about the place and if there were any restrictions. This was about 8 years ago now.

He told me that there was a 6hp max rating on the dam, but when I told him I have a 25hp 4 stroke, he replied "dont worry about it anyway, no one else does!".

The horsepower limit was still being widely ignored while the AFC were there, however they did have to comply to the speed limit.

Leigh

True, i thought it had only been in place for two or so years because before that i knew people fishing there with over the hp limit motors.

rayken1938
15-01-2009, 03:45 PM
There are large signs re the h/p limits just as you leave the highway on the road in.
I have fished there twice since the big fish kill and the flooding and have had no luck. With the dam at a higher level and the water still dirty what fish that are there must be very scattered.
The last time we ended up fishing lake Gregory most of the time. There is some good bass surface fishing there.
The ranger takes his job very seriously and allows no leeway.
This is from sweetwater fishing website.

Boating
There is a concrete boat launching area just past the Lenthalls Dam Recreation Area next to the dam wall.

Recent advances in outboard engine technology have resulted in a significant reduction in engine emissions from newer clean engines. For example a 60hp 4-stroke or Direct Injection 2-Stroke engine emits less than 50% of the emissions as a 6hp carburetted 2-Stroke engine. These advances have warranted a review of the boating restrictions.

From 1 December 2007 boating restrictions at Lake Lenthall will allow:
* Speed Limit 6 knots - no wash and no skiing
* 4-Stroke and Direct Injection 2-Stroke engines up to 60hp. This equates to all 2 & 3 Star OEDA (Outboard Engine Distributors Association) rated engines.
* 1 to 6hp traditional 2-Strokes (0 and 1 star OEDA rated) permitted until January 2010.

Non-compliant engines (eg: 2 stroke carburettor and fuel injected outboards) are prohibited from using the lake. Additional restriction may be imposed on those engines that are clearly polluting the water (eg Smokey engines).
For more information contact Wide Bay Water Corporation on 1300 808 888

Camping
No camping is allowed at the lake but camping sites are available 10 km away at Wongi State Forrest Park. Telephone (07) 4123 5424.
Camping may be permitted once the facilities are up to the task of catering for higher numbers.

Access
Access to Lake Lenthall is from 6am - 4pm daily. Gates are locked outside of these hours. Ranger on site daily.

Cheers
Ray

rayken1938
15-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I have just been speaking to Mark
Danner
the enviormental officer of Wide Bay Water.
There has been a lot going on behind the scenes.
The Dam and surrounding land has just been transferred from Council to WBW and a whole lot of new bylaws have to be written re camping and public use of the facilities.
They are also in the process of calling tenders for a full time on site ranger.
Nothing wil proceed until a full time on site staff are appointed.I think that they are also waiting on certification of one of the amenities blocks.So until all this is sorted the no camping and restricted access hours will remain
Cheers
Ray

Raydog
16-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks 4 that info mate

Raydog
16-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks 4 the info

flairj
16-01-2009, 09:34 PM
F@#k the whole place off, take it off the SIP and put my money to better stocking use. Let the nazi rangers sit on their thumb all day near their fishless, always poo coloured water.

I agree with all the comments made so far and wish that they would just close it down already. They obviously don't want anyone there. So is there some kind of sick pleasure or power trip they get from making it such a God damn hassle to go and have a fish???

Josh

Sniper
17-01-2009, 08:58 AM
F@#k the whole place off, take it off the SIP and put my money to better stocking use. Let the nazi rangers sit on their thumb all day near their fishless, always poo coloured water.

I agree with all the comments made so far and wish that they would just close it down already. They obviously don't want anyone there. So is there some kind of sick pleasure or power trip they get from making it such a God damn hassle to go and have a fish???

Josh

Josh, don't take this the wrong way but venting on a public forum is not a wise move in some situations. It seems as though WBW does want to lift the time restrictions by putting on an onsite ranger and camping, however with commoents similar to the above, the powers to be may think that no one wants this to happen. Its not a simple process any more with all the litigation and such going on in our world today. Currently SEQWater is undergoing a review of all recreational activities on lake under their control. Now this can go several ways, it could stay open and nothing change, huge restrictions put into place on waterways because of people (skiers) doing the wrong thing or complete closure to all recreational use. I know myself and everyone else would not like to see this, however, if people do the wrong thing or bad mouth and critisize the bodies that are controlling these waterways then they may say "STUFF ALL OF YA's". Then they wouldn't have to be worried about public liability insurance and it would cost them a hell of a lot less in maintaining facilities.
Do we want to see this all locked up? I for one don't. Is there anything that the average person like you and I can do to help open these places up more for the general public? Maybe so.
For those who think Lake Lenthalls is a lost cause, then thats your opionion. The local fish stocking association wouldn't think so with the many long hours of work they have put in. If you don't want to comply with current regulations and fish there, then don't. But please don't go and ruin it for those who do.
I hope I haven't affended anyone, just wanted to point out that it is easier for these bodies to close things than to keep them open.
Thanks
Bill

chewy01
17-01-2009, 10:50 AM
I think every1 wouldike it to stay a fishery but seriously how long do these things take.This has bee gong on for years now.I dont really see the difference regarding litigation between wbw and isnt awoonga governed by gawb?? or similar.To me its same same.I canrt see having a full time ranger there make any difference to litigation,otherwise how do places like mondy get on.

rayken1938
17-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I too am very disappointed in the slow progress being made in appointing a full time ranger and opening up the camping.
Apparently most of the delays have been caused by the transfer of ownership and I would assume that the camping/fishing issue would have have a low priority as the core business of the water board is to supply drinking water to their customers.
A few people have in the past expressed concern re the motor restrictions laws applied by the WBWB but this is the first time in Australia that a body has recognised the OEDA motor rating system.
If other bodies were to institute the same measures for other waterways it could possibly open up a lot more waters for freshwater fishing.
As for the ranger sitting on his bum he does have other duties but what else can he do when he has cleaned up etc?
When camping commences I would imagine that he will be very busy with a lot more duties.
I know that he is very concincious in applying the rules but he truly loves " his" dam. He is also a mod on another fishing site and if you do the right thing he is quite helpful but if you stir him be prepared for him to come down on you.
Cheers
Ray

Sniper
17-01-2009, 02:09 PM
What I meant was be carefull on how things are said. I'm not agreeing on the time frame that it has taken so far to get this far. At the moment the fishery is still open, and we would like to see it stay open, even longer hours if possible. However if they think no one gives a s#&t anymore, then they could close it for ever. Think for the future, not just right now. Eventually things might get back to the way they were, but only with positive feedback, not negative.
If you don't like what is happening there, then don't go there. But please don't be negative and posibably shut the impondment down for all.
Thanks
Bill

flairj
17-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I had a big, long retort typed but the computer gods ate it.

The highlights were;

Thank you stocking associations for all your hard work, but sorry, a spade is a spade and Lenthalls has gone to the wayside and the location and the fishing just aint that great.

Added to which, fishing is meant to be relaxing, which with the current situation it is not.

So, I cast my opinion with my feet and don't go there anymore. I also show solidarity with anyone else who has had a similar time a this dam.

Fact is, there is better Barra and Bass fishing, closer to anywhere other than Maryborough, to be had and the idea of a public forum is that we pass this kind of information on to other members. "Tell me where you live, and I'll tell you somewhere better to fish with the current status quo"

Josh

udlman
18-01-2009, 07:04 AM
If it wasn't for all the turd burglars that think it is ok to destroy public property I think there wouldn't be as many restrictions.
I havn't been up to the dam in a couple of years, but when I was up there last, the shits had smashed all the toilet pedestals, ripped up most of the plants that had been planted, proceeded to do dounouts on the new grass and in the carpark. Ohhhh how much i would like to catch these shits in the act and turn them into crab bait.

Brad.

davo
18-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I put in the catogory as Crestbrook. Nice place poorly managed. I too think it should be taken off the SIP list. Also that terrible road, there isn't that greatreward at the other end of it.

Luc
18-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Went there for the first time in August 08 and I had no problems with the state of the road. At least it stops speeding!!!

No matter what is / is not allowed someone is always going to be unhappy!!

As this was an exploration visit and I was not really expecting to catch. On top of this, throw in that the dam had dropped very low, massive fish kills, raising the water level, sudden fill & overflow, weed beds only just starting to get re-established, etc...:o

At the time I believe that the dam would take six months to a year to get productive.

My next visit will probably be in August 09 and I'd be really pi--ed off if all access had been banned because some are not happy with the way it's currently managed and rather than try to work with the management all some can do is carry on.>:(

I fail to understand all the negativity, plenty of other dams have restrictions placed on them but Lenthall seems to cop more -ve comments than the rest put together.::)

Hinze dam is currently undergoing major changes but we are not getting a litany of winges and bitches!!

I wonder how many ever bother to drop a line to a dam's management giving some appreciation of the work done to support fishing, camping, etc...

Luc

Mike Delisser
18-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I wonder how many ever bother to drop a line to a dam's management giving some appreciation of the work done to support fishing, camping, etc...

Luc

Don't expect a reply if the email is in any way critical of the WBWB

jimbamb
19-01-2009, 08:25 AM
My grip on the problem is not the rules that apply it is the way they are interprited by the ranger..
Surely the rules dont say that you cant drive into the dam area with a petrol motor on your boat.
I often suss a place out when i drive past just to see what is there

My interpritation is you may Not put a boat in the water that does not comply with the regulations
Surely you can have a look around.Have a picnic or fish from the bank without being harassed by a ranger who patrolls the place like the gestapo.
IF you put the boat in the water THEN he should do his job and take the correct steps to prevent you

I think this is wat is getting up everyones nose..

Maybee the ranger who i believe was/is a member of Ausfish would like to give his spin on this??????

It would be a pity to lose this area because of misunderstanding or misinterpration of the rules..
Jim

rayken1938
19-01-2009, 08:32 AM
M62 i have written 3 emails to WBW 2 constructive criticism and one thanks and have always received a response. One took several weeks for a response.
The more people that contact them the more likely that something will happen. If an issue is allowed to lie dormant the less likely they will do something about it.
Cheers
Ray

Apollo
19-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I have recently sent an email to WBW re Lenthals and received a reply very quickly. Asked about the 2 stroke issue (ie being left on the back and not used). They have advised that this is their currently policy, but after some discussion with me re ways of disabling a 2 stroke or making its use extremely prohibitive (ie massive fine), he has agreed to bring it up at the next meeting to look at options. At least they are willing to discuss it.

Perhaps soem construction discuss by other may help or atleast show the fishing public are will to discuss and negotiate toward an acceptable solution.

I have also asked the camping question as I had advice previously that it would be ready this summer. I await this reply.

chewy01
19-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Apollo, some similar suggestions were brought up around 12/18 mths ago re leaving 2 stroke on the back.Some suggestions were removing propellors,fuel tanks,spark plugs etc,and here re stilll waiting.I have a four stroke and can go there,but as i was normally coming home around the time the gates now open,i choose not to,as first light to sunrise was easily my most productive times.I also think the high turbidity caused by the bulldust from the ground being cleared was part of the reason the bass and barra decided to escape over the wall,as we have had a lot of floods since bass were stocked but none resulted in a fish kill like what we saw before xmas down in the salt.After a risein water levels used to be a prime time to chase surface bass in the newly flooded grass,but this time for whatever reasonthey were being caught in the esturine system.Just my opinion,but i think the dynamics of the fishery have changed,i hope im wrong but i think the fish will continue to flee over the wall.maybe the fish stocking ass could look at yellas again ??

Mike Delisser
19-01-2009, 05:09 PM
The email I sent did point out a couple of porky pies coming from WBWB and one of their employees so I suppose I'm asking a bit much to expect an answer. I think another Ausfisher posted here on his brush with WBWB on the same issue but it was soon removed by one of the Mods. Unless there are big changes soon I for one would like to see it off the SIP scheme but I don't think the pro netters in the Burrum River would agree, they love those SIP funded Barra.
Cheers

chewy01
19-01-2009, 05:10 PM
so do i mate so do i :):)

Phill T
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I can advise as local living near Lenthalls that caution needs to be taken on the dirt road from the Highway out to the dam especially after rain. Deep corrigations and potholes. The dirt road is also used by logging trucks and is very rough in the dry also. The road doesn't see a grader very often. A good strong boat trailer, and 4x4 vehicle will provide easier access. I take my 2wd ute out ok but keep my speed down to about 30-40k.

Phill T