PDA

View Full Version : 300hp

Wahoo
14-01-2009, 07:03 PM
has anyone have a 300HP on a 7m plate boat? or if you have a 7m, what HP are you running? would you have any different?

Daz

colo
14-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I Have a 7.3m Sea Jay platey with a 225hp Yamaha 4 stroke on the back the boat runs good we can cruise at around 26-30 mph. While it dose run really good with the 225hp a little more grunt wouldn't heart its a pretty heavy boat about 2.6 ton with 500ltrs of fuel and 160ltr of water . If I was to re power I would probably look at twin 150 Yamaha 4s or possible the 300 V8.

backlash08
14-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Daz - my 7M hardtop runs a 250 suk, It does not need any more power at all, performance is very good when loaded, good on fuel, I did consider the 300 for it but was advised that the gains would be slight and in no way worth the extra $$$ and they are a lot dearer - I now agree

Wahoo
14-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Daz - my 7M hardtop runs a 250 suk, It does not need any more power at all, performance is very good when loaded, good on fuel, I did consider the 300 for it but was advised that the gains would be slight and in no way worth the extra $$$ and they are a lot dearer - I now agree

yes thats what i thought, a 250 would be enough, the motor dealer called today and the price on a 08 300hp was not that much more than a 09 250hp,

Daz

Alchemy
14-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Not that I have a 7m, but not that far off 8-) Alchemy has the 200hp suzuki and is a heavy boat. Eg, when new I put her over a weigh bridge on my way home from the factory, and without gear was 2360kg. Fuel and gear her up and she would have to be 2800kg, less trailer weight of 600kg = on water about 2200kg.

The heaviest she has been has been on long camping trips to Wathumba when we have had 600l of fuel, heaps of eskys, camping gear for two weeks etc. She had no problems planning at all. I've been tossing around the idea of a 7m and came to the conclusion that a 225hp suzuki would do. Might not be as fast as a 250 or 300hp, but feel it would still cruise nicely based on my experience with Alchemy.

Regards,
Dave.

backlash08
14-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Daz, seriously the 250 is more than enough IMO, I've been in a few other 7M boats (plateys as well as glass but same weight) that had 225 and they were absolutly fine, I reckon the only reason you would want 300 is to say you had one LoL or always at max weight and load
either way, a nice decesion to have to make!!

cheers - Craig

backlash08
14-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Yep Dave, looks like we were posting at the same time, you are spot on as well, the weight difference between the 660, 680 or 700 is very little and the 225 would be fine on 'backlash' I simply went 250 because the cost difference and the variable cam timing in the suks on the 250.
My mate's 685 CC explorer has a 225 and it is the same weight as backlash (7M) and it hammers
cheers - Craig

chop duster
15-01-2009, 12:41 PM
New rig daz?
you gonna go verado again?

Jabba_
15-01-2009, 01:21 PM
New rig daz?
Nah, he wants his new boat to go like a rocket, chine walking and a big roost, so he's going for the big grunty 3.4lt full off muscle E-tec.... ;D ;D;D ;D ;D

Wahoo
15-01-2009, 05:34 PM
New rig daz?

hey Chop, yes pending on build time, if i go 4 stroke, then yes a Verado, have been to spoilt with how they preform, cant go back with any other 4 stroke motor,

Daz

Wahoo
15-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Nah, he wants his new boat to go like a rocket, chine walking and a big roost, so he's going for the big grunty 3.4lt full off muscle E-tec.... ;D ;D;D ;D ;D

haha Matt, the E - Tec has not been ruled out, i have been in a 300hp Tec and was impressed, but was thirsty, dont know what a 300 V rod is like WOT

Daz

backlash08
15-01-2009, 05:55 PM
nice quiet gentlemans suke is the go Daz,

Jabba_
15-01-2009, 06:59 PM
haha Matt, the E - Tec has not been ruled out, i have been in a 300hp Tec and was impressed, but was thirsty, dont know what a 300 V rod is like WOT

Daz

Yeah they suck the juice all-right... I went out in a HH 680 with a 300 Tec on it.. Went like the clappers doing 55mph @ WOT...

How did you find the E-tec fumes on the 300.. Personal I recon it was a fair bit stronger then my 250... But to its defence it was a 2 star motor back then, and it was running in it's double oil period...

I'm very interested to hear from you, your opinion and comparrasin on the 2 motors...

I must say the V-rod is the sexist motor off the lot..

Wahoo
15-01-2009, 07:08 PM
nice quiet gentlemans suke is the go Daz,

LOL Craig.. i see the 300 zook is a 4.0l V6,..... nice

Daz

Wahoo
15-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah they suck the juice all-right... I went out in a HH 680 with a 300 Tec on it.. Went like the clappers doing 55mph @ WOT...

How did you find the E-tec fumes on the 300.. Personal I recon it was a fair bit stronger then my 250... But to its defence it was a 2 star motor back then, and it was running in it's double oil period...

I'm very interested to hear from you, your opinion and comparrasin on the 2 motors...

I must say the V-rod is the sexist motor off the lot..

Matt, very very hard to compare on the day, one boat had more weight and so on... as for fumes, well thats another thing that impressed me, what fumes it was good, Opti..great motors but.........a lot louder than the Tec, ( sorry Opti owners) bit better on fuel than the Tecs, it is still jaw dropping the way the V Rod pulls from hole shot too 5800rpm on any V Rod

i really think the PPL that bag the E-Tec have really no idea,, never been in one, and same ol same ol "pub story" at 11pm

Well IMHO anyway

Daz

backlash08
15-01-2009, 07:42 PM
LOL Craig.. i see the 300 zook is a 4.0l V6,..... nice

Daz

yep Daz and the 250 is 3.6lt V6

Jabba_
15-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Matt, very very hard to compare on the day, one boat had more weight and so on... as for fumes, well that's another thing that impressed me, what fumes it was good, Opti..great motors but.........a lot louder than the Tech, ( sorry Opti owners) bit better on fuel than the Tec, it is still jaw dropping the way the V Rod pulls from hole shot too 5800rpm on any V Rod

i really think the PPL that bag the E-Tec have really no idea,, never been in one, and same ol same ol "pub story" at 11pm

Well IMHO anyway

Daz
It's good to read an unbiased opinion.. Any motor that burn fossil fuel will produce fumes...
I totally agree that the Opti is a fair bit louder then the E-tec, but I believe most off the noise that comes from under the cowl is created by the pulley belts.. When you rev the Opti you'll see the belts vibrating rather harshly.. It is not a good sight to be seen...

Regards to the V-rod, I have never been in one, but I would love to go for a run in a boat with one on the back...

Personally Daz, if you have a good relationship with your Merc dealer I wouldn't bother with anything else.. You current V-rod has served you well, so I would be sticking with a brand you know and a dealer you can trust....