PDA

View Full Version : The Best Centre Console???

Ostheman
14-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi All,

Looking for a new plate boat centre console that is not gonna cost me arm and a leg, 5 to 6 metres with a decent engine on the back...

Any ideas?

coucho
14-01-2009, 02:53 PM
formosa or aquamaster are the cheaper plate boats. out board well knwo thats up to your personal preference for brand really

Marlin_Mike
14-01-2009, 03:06 PM
This topic again is only as good as the experience one has had with a brand. If you havent owned or driven say a fisher or a blue fin how can you comment on them?

I have owned an Allycraft 5.1 centre console for 3 years. has a 75hp Mariner 2 stroke on the back. I can only say they are one hell of a good boat with the experience I have had with it. Cant fault it cant say a word against it. Other peiople may have had one and got a lemon, causing them to call them heaps off sh#@.

cost me $19k 3 years ago, was 16 months old when I bought it.

Mike

Mindi
14-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I have been looking for the same thing at about 5.2 M for over a year at $30K or less all up. Have done heaps of miles and days looking for the answer.
My preferred choice is Formosa 520 with an ETec 75...prefer 90 but another $1000. The new Suzuki 90 would be even better but much dearer again...maybe another $1000 but the dream option.
Formosa are very nearly a legit plate boat...3mm sides 4 mm bottom with fully welded longways ribs inside.
Aquamaster are a good boat, probably my second choice actually but still a conventional 3mm x 3mm pressed boat and in no way plate. Paul who makes them will tell you no full roller trailer, must be keel supported as for all pressed hulls. Formosa can have drive on full roller trailer.
I have lots of underfloor construction photos of Formosa and Aquamaster to see build content if you are interested. (PM me) Also concluded Blue Fin very decent pressed option, also Ally Craft and maybe also Sea Jay but not fond of their raised front floor....but would not personally touch Stessco, Four Seasons, Quintrex or Stacer. They probably all make good boats but all have horror stories about cracking and lack of mfr support (search this forum for yourself)
If I get my Formosa from Coastal Powerboats it will be on a Swiftco roller trailer and if I get it from AMC it will probably be on a Redco roller trailer.
I expect a fair bit of difficulty getting the package under $30 but should go close.
If you want a real plate boat (cut and welded of 5083 alloy) then check Peter at Profish in Caloundra. (I have pics of Profish construct too) I will get a price from him before buying a production boat and his boats are very very robust to say the least. Not quite as classy as a Fisher or the like (drool) but priced down near my range.
Formosa, Aquamaster and Profish all have 5.5-5.8M models also which may be more your go..?
I currently only have a small Stessl Edgetracker with a Mercury 15 but have a long history of Yammys and OMCs...so I am not an engine bigot...(just dont want to start another Etec vs 4 stroke "discussion").
The above is just my opinion, and plenty will disagree with me on just about all of it but I hope this helps you a bit.

GBC
15-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I'd look hard at the 480 polly brumby - excellent reports about the sea keeping of this hull.

Bruce_Bogtrotter
15-01-2009, 08:49 AM
do a search on here for members Brejen or Maztez & get the contact for the builder of theirs, they are getting a Viper. Have seen the end product (not theirs, another) & chatted to Phil the owner. He's a man with many years experience in the industry who has some pretty respected people around him. Definately worth a call & a look, you may be surprised @ what he is offering.

Hooper
15-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Ostheman

I have a 12 month yr old Centre Console Bar Crusher for sale. Its been an excellent boat in all conditions. Definately lives up the Bar Crusher name. See the Classified in the 'Boat' section of this website.

Regards
Hooper

Whitty44
15-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I know you asked for plate boats, but have a look at a Polycraft 530 CC - should get one of these for around mid 30's with Suzuki 115 etc. Nice big boat, great ride, had one for over a year and really happy with it.

Whitty

Splendid
15-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey there mate. I've recently purchased a TABS 460 territory Plate side console. It is by far the best riding plate boat I've ever been in. Far better then the Formosa and better finished. I looked at the TABS Cnetre Console but it was alittle out of the price range. Anyway I'm sure you have ahad plenty of other advice by now. Good luck with it. Dont hesitate to msg me if you want to know more about my TABS

Ostheman
16-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I have been looking for the same thing at about 5.2 M for over a year at $30K or less all up. Have done heaps of miles and days looking for the answer.
My preferred choice is Formosa 520 with an ETec 75...prefer 90 but another $1000. The new Suzuki 90 would be even better but much dearer again...maybe another $1000 but the dream option.
Formosa are very nearly a legit plate boat...3mm sides 4 mm bottom with fully welded longways ribs inside.
Aquamaster are a good boat, probably my second choice actually but still a conventional 3mm x 3mm pressed boat and in no way plate. Paul who makes them will tell you no full roller trailer, must be keel supported as for all pressed hulls. Formosa can have drive on full roller trailer.
I have lots of underfloor construction photos of Formosa and Aquamaster to see build content if you are interested. (PM me) Also concluded Blue Fin very decent pressed option, also Ally Craft and maybe also Sea Jay but not fond of their raised front floor....but would not personally touch Stessco, Four Seasons, Quintrex or Stacer. They probably all make good boats but all have horror stories about cracking and lack of mfr support (search this forum for yourself)
If I get my Formosa from Coastal Powerboats it will be on a Swiftco roller trailer and if I get it from AMC it will probably be on a Redco roller trailer.
I expect a fair bit of difficulty getting the package under $30 but should go close.
If you want a real plate boat (cut and welded of 5083 alloy) then check Peter at Profish in Caloundra. (I have pics of Profish construct too) I will get a price from him before buying a production boat and his boats are very very robust to say the least. Not quite as classy as a Fisher or the like (drool) but priced down near my range.
Formosa, Aquamaster and Profish all have 5.5-5.8M models also which may be more your go..?
I currently only have a small Stessl Edgetracker with a Mercury 15 but have a long history of Yammys and OMCs...so I am not an engine bigot...(just dont want to start another Etec vs 4 stroke "discussion").
The above is just my opinion, and plenty will disagree with me on just about all of it but I hope this helps you a bit.

Thx for that mate.

Ostheman
16-01-2009, 02:00 PM
do a search on here for members Brejen or Maztez & get the contact for the builder of theirs, they are getting a Viper. Have seen the end product (not theirs, another) & chatted to Phil the owner. He's a man with many years experience in the industry who has some pretty respected people around him. Definately worth a call & a look, you may be surprised @ what he is offering.

Thx Bruce, sounds very interesting, i will definitly look in to it...do you have any pics of the boat you ve seen???

Barryk
15-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Gday mate, just reading that you had a tabs 4.6 i was looking at one myself you seem pretty happy with yours?