PDA

View Full Version : FISHING ELDORADO - Ralph De Lacy

FNQCairns
14-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Almost finished reading a cracker book sourced from the local library, thought I would recommend as it's a cut above anything fishing I have read so far.

It's an easy to read non fiction story of a commercial fisherman in FNQ from the time when a master fisherman licence could be bought over the counter like a money order can be today, to when better commercial regulation caught up, the quantities of fish via netting methods by so few will stun and amaze, as will the profits gained, lifestyle and the environments they did it all in.

The story follows 25 odd years of his fishing adventures as a commercial fisherman starting at Townsville and then largely the gulf area with Karumba being predominate in many of the true story's.

An easy read, chock FULL of barra, prawns, mackerel, crocodile and salmon behaviour and storys told from a serous hunters eyes as well as boats, weather, sinking's, creeks, rivers, methods, dodging fisherys/law, old style characters and their escapades.

Wish I had found it earlier as he spells out from hard won experience and without trying to educate, so much that is now only in the sole domain of the long term local with life long hands on experience.

A most worthy read IMO.

cheers fnq

PS anyone know the Skipper? or been one of the many deckys.... mentioned or not??

major-defect
16-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.I read Perfect Storm a little while ago that was good.It gave you insight into the history of the fishing fleets and the loses than the movie.

nonibbles
16-01-2009, 11:52 PM
I read Ralph's book a couple of years ago and agree fully with FNQCairns. He's written another about his experiences as a private miner with the Native Title Act that I'd like to read as well. If its as candid as Fishing Eldorado it will be a great read.

J2DAG83
05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey Fellas...

After reading this post a couple weeks ago I got an itch to find the book.... this eventuated into hours of searching the internet and emailing before I eventually got in touch with Ralph himself and paid him directly to send me down fishing Eldora do and his mining book..... Got a nice surprise upon arrival of the books as he chucked in another one he's written called gurumul (I think) and it's about his early days on his parents tomato farm in north Queensland.
I am about 1/8 of the way through fishing Eldora do and am truly captivated.... very interesting reading about how things use to be and the life of a professional fisherman in those days..

Thanks FNQ for the original post... I’d be spewing if I’d missed out on reading such a good book...

Cheers

pommy
05-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Guys!

For what a Pommies opinion is worth, the best book about the life of an Australian that I have read is 'Hell West and Crooked' by Tom Cole OM.

He drove cattle, broke horses, shot buffalo and was the original crocodile hunter. amazing detail about northern Queensland and the NT in the 1930s.

Every Aussie that I have lent it to has been absolutely wrapped! An amazing bloke!

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

FNQCairns
05-02-2009, 08:28 PM
J2D glad you are enjoying the book, i had trouble putting it down quite a few times, I am keeping an eye out for his others.

Rob I read that book a fair few years ago I agree it was a good read also, I remember water buffalo, crocs and telegraph lines but not that much else anymore. Worthy of another read i suspect.

cheers fnq

slyman
05-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, I enjoy reading quite a lot, but have read little of anything fishing related unless it's in magazine form. I'll track a copy down have get into it.

poundalead
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I have the book. Its an awesome read like others have said. Another good book about early Australian life is "A fortunate life" by A.B. Facey its a really good read. I wish more fishing publications came out there doesn't seem to be many around.

Cheers Benny

J2DAG83
06-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey benny...

Mate is that one to do with fishing as well or just early australia in general???.....

I know what you mean re the lack of non fiction fishing novels, could only imagine some of the stories a longtime pro fisher or crabber would have from up the top end... i just finished reading one called CROC.... was pretty good had a lot about how croc shooting was a sport for a bit and then the blokes up the top who were shooting them for skins etc etc..... some of these blokes were shooting and skinning 500 crocs a night between 2 people..... they had to be skinned and cured straight away otherwise they turned to shit....

Anyway there must be some other good ones out there just gotta keep searching..... :)

disorderly
06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
some of these blokes were shooting and skinning 500 crocs a night between 2 people..... they had to be skinned and cured straight away otherwise they turned to shit....

Are you sure its meant to be non-fiction..?
Sounds like a fairy tale to me...

500 a night ...no chance in hell...

Scott

poundalead
08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey J2DAG83 its basically a biography of the life of A.B Facey himself and goes into detail the perils that early settlers came across trying to cultivate the land. The irony of the title is he led a very hard life. I won't elaborate anymore but it is a good read.

Cheers Benny