PDA

View Full Version : Lake Somerset Info Required

Fishbait
13-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Fellow Ausfishers - I'm thinking of taking the family to Lake Somerset this weekend for camping, taking the tube for during the day, and throwing lures around in the early morning and late arvo.

Have got the relevant permits for camping, boat, and fishing - but would appreciate any further advice on fishing techniques for the lake, camping issues etc. PMs ok if you don't want to reply to thread. Just want to make it a great weekend away.

Many Thanks

Darren.

bowds13
14-01-2009, 12:58 PM
hey mate last time i was up there not to long ago bay 13 was fishing alright got some good fish just slow rolling lure both plastics an hard bodys along the bottom. most fish were caught on green sliders on a 1/4oz jig head. appart from that i just sounded around looking for holes an fish an fish the banks which privided a few fish.

hope this helps

cheers

SeekingBarradise
14-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Darren that's a great ausfish name you have mate, Fishbait, Rib Fillet and Stiffworm have to be some of the best i've seen on here!!!

We were out there on the weekend and got blown away in what seemed like 35 knots, crikey you should have seen the current. We mainly went out there to film and have a look at Somerset at the new higher water level. We got some awesome footage of a Bull Koala roaring at his opposition down the gulley. Pretty rare stuff and we were very happy to film it.

We only fished one spot for about 30 mins for no touches mate. We sounded up some nice fish just on the edge of the current lines and drop offs etc but were not good enough in this small window to land one.
The wind was so bad we found shelter out of it for serenity.

Water Skiers, Jet Skiers made up 99% of the people on the dam with only 2 other boats out fishing after 6pm...Very different to Awoonga in peak season.
We heard 4500 people were at Kirklea on the holidays, now that would have looked like the ekka crowds. No serenity there.

All the boat ramps look good mate so get out there and have a good trip.
Permit to put your boat in = $15.00. Where does all this cash go?
It doesn't go towards keeping the toilets clean or in a handy distance etc.
What a rip off. We pay boat rego, trailer, SIP and now $15 as well just to put a boat in. 4 charges, not bad eh?

Stocked impoundment permits are also needed. Sounds like you have already
got these.

Have a good weekend.
Cheers Lyndon.

Mike Delisser
14-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeh $15 a week or $100 a year (1st year $100 then $75), bit stiff of SEQWater I think. I'm told it pays for the facilities ect ect. So I supose that means the boaties are subsidizing all picnicers, kayakers & bird-watchers who don't pay a cent.

Fishbait you can camp at Kirkleagh near Kilcoy or at Somerset Village Below the dam wall. Price is about the the same, Kirkleagh (Somerset holliday park) has elec bbq's and plenty of free showers, the village has coin showers and that's about it, though it could be a little quieter than Kirkleagh. Gates at the village end of the dam open at 6am, at Kirkleagh you can camp by the water and head out when you want.
Plenty of info on Somerset in the current issue of Bushn'Beach.
BTW did you know there is a bass comp on there this Sat & Sun, most of the competitors (including me) will be fishing between Queen Street and The Spit, feel free to do circles around every boat except the ski blue one with that tube.
Cheers
Mike

Peter4
14-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Permit to put your boat in = $15.00. Where does all this cash go?
It doesn't go towards keeping the toilets clean or in a handy distance etc.
What a rip off. We pay boat rego, trailer, SIP and now $15 as well just to put a boat in.

I refuse to fish Somerset again until they introduce a daily fee. The $15 per week is OK if you plan to spend a week there, but it is a bit stiff for a day trip........>:(

Plenty of other dams in SE Qld that charge nada......;D

Mike Delisser
14-01-2009, 05:10 PM
I refuse to fish Somerset again until they introduce a daily fee. The $15 per week is OK if you plan to spend a week there, but it is a bit stiff for a day trip........>:(

I agree a day or weekend charge of $5 would be fair I recon. To charge some one $15 even if they are only putting their boat in for a couple of hours is a bit rough.
No ifs, no buts, if you put your boat in at all at Somerset or Wivenhoe = $15.
And to only have a weekly fee option and no day fee in place when the dam is only 1 hours drive from all of the largest population centres in our state is a cop out & a money grab. I thought it was illegal under the federal "competition pollicy" for any Government agency to charge a fee with without offering the equivalent service, ie. accept a payment for 2 days camping but charge a 7 day boating permit (Wivenhoe as an example).

Fishbait
14-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Well thanks heaps folks - no I didn't know they had a comp on there this weekend, and didn't realise the volume of people it has at the moment with the school holidays. I know I've left it late as usual to ring but I'll ring the office in the morning to see what the go is with current crowds and any spare spots left out there. I might have to make it a different weekend now - but I'm still keen to go anyway. Everythings packed and ready to be loaded into the boat. I'll check tommorrow and if it's all systems go, I'll do a post Sunday night to tell ya how I went. Many Thanks for the feedback, Darren.