PDA

View Full Version : bow mount - quick release brackets - good or bad?

Apollo
13-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Those that have them, are they worth while? What are the good and bad points?

Thanks

NAGG
13-01-2009, 07:37 PM
No negatives ,,,, to date Minnkota - unlock the padlock pull the pin & away it goes
Maybe thats the negative ..... cut the padlock & away it goes :'(
( I use a shielded lock...... which makes it a bit more difficult to cut)

Chris

Leighton
13-01-2009, 07:59 PM
had one, never ever took the bow mount off. I put a padlock on it for security
I would save your money, like Nagg has said the 8 bolts holding it down are better securirt than a padlock

Apollo
13-01-2009, 08:52 PM
No negatives ,,,, to date Minnkota - unlock the padlock pull the pin & away it goes
Maybe thats the negative ..... cut the padlock & away it goes :'(
( I use a shielded lock...... which makes it a bit more difficult to cut)

Chris

Thanks Chris

That is my major concern - quick release=quick steal. Not really an issue here on the farm, but camped out or even whilst I am at the pub on the way home it could give some moron time to knock it off:'( I will probably put a long bolt on one of the mount anchors and drill the thread to padlock it as well below the foredeck.

Might just save my $ and if it is deemed to be important later, I can add it then.

mylestom
14-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Apollo,
Use mine on old boat lots, also find that electric not always required on boat.
First thing fitted to new boat.

Take electric off boat for trailering over rough roads, towing tubes with kids. Lots of reasons to have removable. Again all a matter of choice.

Depends on total use of your vessel and road conditions where you intend to go fishing, would be my reasoning to use one or not.

Security with electrics, outboards, fishing gear, boats and trailers are another issue.

Regards

Trev

NAGG
14-01-2009, 06:32 AM
As my Minn Kota feels the need to visit relatives at BLA on a regular basis ..... I'm glad I have the quick release bracket:P

Security has always been of some concern ....... so maybe there is something else we can do to make it more secure!

Chris

Apollo
14-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Decided to put the bowmount on without the quick release bracket at this stage and play it by ear from there. I can easily add it if I need later.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

pilchardjones
15-01-2009, 07:19 AM
apollo,
i have the new white HDPE quick release bracket and think it is great.
Very easy to use. Holds the motor very secure.
steve

BARRA73
15-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Mate I'll give a good reason as to not get one. At the 2008 Rocky Barra Bounty we were staying at a van park and came home after the dinner and found that my mate's boat which had a quick release bracket on his minn kota had some shitbag grub with the minn almost taken off his boat, the grub slinked off into the night without it. I however did not have a quick release bracket and mine was untouched. Moral of story, don't get a quick release bracket thieves see a padlock and no how easy they are to get passed.