PDA

View Full Version : Boat drifting

Gilli
13-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey all,
Was out last tuesday in a mates boat, they used some sort of float on the back of their boat to hold the boat in the current whilst the front anchor has grabbed.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what they are called and how much they are cause i cant seem to find any. Was looking into purchasing one for when this weather pisses off so i can get out for a fish.

Cheers,
Chris

Blackened
13-01-2009, 04:21 PM
G'day

Was it a drogue/sea anchor?

Dave

Rod Fishing
13-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a sea anchor to me.

Cheers Rod....8-)

Angla
13-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Also known as Para anchor. Did it look like a parachute at all with a small float attatched to a tripping line.

Chris

Gilli
13-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Nah mate it was a hard plastic anchor. Sort of looked like a boy that is used in a marina, just smaller.
It was about 400mm in diameter and 700mm long. Designed for doing just as i stated. Cant seem to find any information on them anywhere. It was used in a 4.5meter platey.

captain rednut
13-01-2009, 08:01 PM
was it a cone shape and orange in colour?

Gilli
13-01-2009, 08:04 PM
yeh mate was sort of cone shaped, on the big end of the cone it had openings to allow for water to push against it allowing it to hold the boat in the direction it was aiming.

It was red/orange in colour.

black runner
13-01-2009, 09:33 PM
yeh mate was sort of cone shaped, on the big end of the cone it had openings to allow for water to push against it allowing it to hold the boat in the direction it was aiming.

It was red/orange in colour.

Your description matches a drogue/sea anchor. I use one to slow the drift of the boat however it is not hard plastic but heavy duty vinyl/pvc with webbing for attaching rope.

You can get them from chandleries, whitworths, bias,bla etc

Cheers

cormorant
13-01-2009, 09:35 PM
look up sea brake

Mcintyre marine or Bourke for the solid polly ones from memory