PDA

View Full Version : No boat licence + no boat rego

aussiefool
13-01-2009, 07:15 AM
G'day all,

Up here in the NT you are not required to have either a boat licence at all.

Ok my question is .... if I come down to the east coast on holidays and bring a boat along, and go fishing will I get done for not having rego or a licence?

Aussiefool

finga
13-01-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm sure you would have to obey state laws in the license and rego bit.
I seem to remember some people from NSW getting busted for rego numbers too small in QLD (stupid rules been different from state to state).

Do they give you any numbers for the boat at all in NT??
I cannot remember if the relo's boats have numbers or not.
If not then I'd say the boat would need to be registered as well.
A boat license is nationally recognised and rego is nationally recognised.

mik01
13-01-2009, 07:34 AM
G'day all,

Ok my question is .... if I come down to the east coast on holidays and bring a boat along, and go fishing will I get done for not having rego or a licence?

Aussiefool

yes and yes

we don't have a fishing license in Qld, but if I go to NSW I have to get one or would be fined

Dan5
13-01-2009, 07:42 AM
G'day all,

Aussiefool

Why would you leave here to go fishing there?

aussiefool
13-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm sure you would have to obey state laws in the license and rego bit.
I seem to remember some people from NSW getting busted for rego numbers too small in QLD (stupid rules been different from state to state).

Do they give you any numbers for the boat at all in NT??
I cannot remember if the relo's boats have numbers or not.
If not then I'd say the boat would need to be registered as well.
A boat license is nationally recognised and rego is nationally recognised.

No boat numbers at all No fees or anything at the moment
Andrew

aussiefool
13-01-2009, 07:51 AM
yes and yes

we don't have a fishing license in Qld, but if I go to NSW I have to get one or would be fined
But if I'm only visiting and have no fixed address in the state how would I prove state residency. As for a fishing licence in NSW I know that I will need one as I have just moved up from northern NSW

aussiefool
13-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Why would you leave here to go fishing there?

To visit the kid and Grand kids.
Andrew.

Ps still have not gotten a bite land based up here yet:-[

aussiefool
13-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Bugger should of just do one multi post/reply:wut:

walruss
13-01-2009, 02:07 PM
A/F

Would no doubt need a fishing licence as you say. Normally if you comply with the state you are a permanent resident in you are covered.

Given that you have no reg or boat licence, it may be a good idea to email NSW Water Police and get clarification from them. If they say its OK I would certainly carry the email with me when fishing though.

Russ

White Pointer
15-01-2009, 08:26 PM
G'day,

This is a bit of a case of "You can't help bad luck and stupidity". The whole of Australia - except the NT - has agreed to add boat HIN and engine numbers to the REVS system to reduce theft and fraud but the system requires states and territories to have compulsory registration (like car registration) to ensure inspections and traceability.

That means a BMT anywhere in Australia can be be inspected for state registration, HIN, engine number and trailer VIN and any irregularities detected. Not so the NT. No inspections, therefore no traceability.

So if you have had a boat stolen recently and it has disappeared without trace there a real possibility that its in the NT with an unsuspecting new owner that it wasn't stolen.

So, I'm sorry aussiefool, and don't take this personally, because I know you're just the bloke caught in the middle, if you bring your BMT down here expect to have to put it over the pits, produce evidence that you own every bit of it and register it and put our state's registration numbers on it.

This is all because your Government is slack and corrupt and maintains a system of ignorance that perpetuates crime.

Personally, I'd leave you boat at home and hire when you're here. The fuel saving and rego saving will probably pay for the hire cost. There are good boat hire companies around that one that I would recommend for small stuff up to 5 mt around Moreton Bay but not sea boats. PM me if you want details.

Regards,

White Pointer

james1
15-01-2009, 11:02 PM
"This is all because your Government is slack and corrupt and maintains a system of ignorance that perpetuates crime."

Geez, I have heard some dribble in my time, but this is right up there. Don't worry, it's not the dumbest statement I have ever heard......Just for this century. Our government are actually too stupid to be corrupt.

White Pointer
16-01-2009, 08:45 PM
G'day,

Well said - we will put down to stupidity.

White Pointer

Scott nthQld
16-01-2009, 08:51 PM
auusiefool, you should be able to get some sort of written letter from your State's transport department saying that you do not need to hold a licence or boat rego. When questioned, produce this, given you have no residency outside of the NT, they can't force you to get a licence or register the boat in any other state.

Reel Nauti
16-01-2009, 09:29 PM
If you drive a car in any state or territory in Australia, whose laws do you have to abide by?.... the state you live in or the state your driving in? Of course it is the state your driving in, and the same applies for boating.

If you use your boat on the East coast unlicensed and unregistered I am pretty sure you could expect to be pinched.

Cheers

Dave

spears
16-01-2009, 09:33 PM
No boat licence + no boat rego = no fisho

Scott nthQld
16-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I think yiou are alll missing the point. He lives in the NT, he has NO residency in any other state, so how the hell is he supposed to get a licence, or register his boat for any other state he visits.

Each state has different licencing laws, and they are all recognised in every other state. Yes you must obey the road rules in each state, however, licensing in each state is their own, is it was the case you are all talking of then I'd have a friggin drivers licence for every state/territory (except Tassie, cos they don't really count...lol)

For example, QLD boat licences are now included on your car licence, if I was to go to NSW, where a boat licence is on a separate licence altogether, I must carry A letter from the QLD Transport stating that I do indeed have my boat licence, as NSW waterways, cannot access my licence details otherwise, same if I was to travel to any other state.

Xahn1960
16-01-2009, 09:51 PM
If you drive a car in any state or territory in Australia, whose laws do you have to abide by?.... the state you live in or the state your driving in? Of course it is the state your driving in, and the same applies for boating.

If you use your boat on the East coast unlicensed and unregistered I am pretty sure you could expect to be pinched.

Cheers

Dave

100% correct..... You must abide by the laws of whatever state you are in at the time.

maztez
17-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi Andrew for landbased fishing in Darwin you could try the rocks at Nightcliff just west of Rapid Creek using live poddy mullet. I lived across the road from a rocky outcrop on Casuarina Drive and caught some serious fish there including metre plus barra .
Also re licence ,I boated in the NT for years no rego,no licence and only in the last couple of years did my licence here .

northernblue
17-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Qld'rs love a bit of regulation don't they.
Makes them feel good about themselves that their gov just increased boat rego by almost double. And lets not forget that there is no maintenance or upgrading of facilities.
Just more cash in Blighs handbag to fund her if fated attempt at re-election.

Much easier to have a swing at the Territory, for the all the worlds ills.

In the territory your local member, is known and seen by you on a daily basis [and often on the water] and the last thing he wants is you chewing on his ear about a new tax.
No, he enjoys his fishing and a few other small freedoms, and at least for the moment, is resisting the push to become just like every other over populated and over regulated corner of Australia.

How long he can hold out I am not sure, as the regulation zealots are massing at the border...........

laney
18-01-2009, 09:14 AM
100% correct..... You must abide by the laws of whatever state you are in at the time.

for road rules yes, for licencing no, well thats for your normal C class licenc. for licencing you must obey the laws set in the state you gained the licence. as a kid who got their P licence in south australia at the age of 16.5 can drive in qld even though you have to be a minimum of 17 in qld. same as when qld P platers did not have to display the plate, if a p PLATER from NSW was driving in qld they had to display their P plates because that was the state law in NSW.

i guess if you had confirmation from your DOT in your territory than i gues there is not much they can do because you cant have a vessel or car registered in a state without a perminent residence.

the licence well thats just stupid, why the hell dont they have a lisencing system.

northernblue
18-01-2009, 11:08 AM
the licence well thats just stupid, why the hell dont they have a lisencing system.

Up until recently there were not many large vessels up there, and with a few times/locations aside, not much traffic.
It has changed over the last 15 years, but until that time, early mid 90's, anything bigger than a 12 foot tinny with a 15hp was rare to see unless it was a commercial vessel.

A lot more boats in the 20 foot + size nowdays, and in this size boat, yes I conceed the need for better education of the "road rules", which probably needs to take the form of a licence, which will also probably apply across the board.

F***!! more restrictions!!!!!

Bruce_Bogtrotter
18-01-2009, 11:39 AM
i would think that no Rego=no CTP insurance= have an accident causing injury & be in the wrong=life as you know it down the toilet, unless you are rediculously wealthy..

northernblue
18-01-2009, 03:52 PM
G'day all,

Aussiefool

Mate run the question past motor rego in darwin, it would be interesting to hear their reply.
But the only ones who you really need to ask is the state where you intend to boat.
It may also pay you to attempt to get them to put their opinion in writing for you.......that will get them ducking and weaving....;D , I've got $50 that says you wont get it in writing.

Good luck,

gawby
18-01-2009, 09:33 PM
As bruce b said, have an accident and you are
up sh/t creek. You could have someone living
with you for the rest of your life.
I am sure if you are coming down here for a holiday
you could get on deck with someone here.
Graeme

tigermullet
18-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Qld'rs love a bit of regulation don't they.
Makes them feel good about themselves that their gov just increased boat rego by almost double. And lets not forget that there is no maintenance or upgrading of facilities.
Just more cash in Blighs handbag to fund her if fated attempt at re-election.

Much easier to have a swing at the Territory, for the all the worlds ills.

In the territory your local member, is known and seen by you on a daily basis [and often on the water] and the last thing he wants is you chewing on his ear about a new tax.
No, he enjoys his fishing and a few other small freedoms, and at least for the moment, is resisting the push to become just like every other over populated and over regulated corner of Australia.

How long he can hold out I am not sure, as the regulation zealots are massing at the border...........

Not me. I hate it and cannot understand the constant calling for even more regulation.

But that's Queensland - ultra safe one day, communist the next.

If it wasn't so hot in NT I'd emigrate.

Then again, maybe not; crocs I can live without.;D

shrunken pojie
18-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi,

Just had a look at the book I was given when I did my licence cause I remember the examiner mentioning this exact issue during the course. The book states "A valid licence is required to operate all recreational boats powered by a motor of more thn 4.5KW (over 6hp).

I recall his comment was along the lines of, anyone from the NT has to do the equivilent of the QLD licence to operate a marine craft in QLD waters.

Please don't take my word for this though. My advice, call Queensland Transport or the NSW equivilent and check for yourself.

aussiefool
18-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I have just sent this email off to both the NSW and Qld agencies and will post their reply's IF I get any.

Dear Sir/Madam

Good morning

I am a permanent resident of the N.T., and later in the year I'm intending to travel to NSW for a few weeks holiday visiting family and friends. As I intend to bring my boat with me (4.95 Quintrex with 90hp Yamaha) to do some off shore fishing and take the Grandkids boating on Lake Macquarie.

My Question is, as in the N.T. one is not required to hold a boat licence or have the boat registered. How would I stand if I was stopped by any of the authorities and could not produce any licence or rego

Thanking you
Andrew Lee

(aussiefool@ausfish.com.au)

Charlie
18-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Most people who live the the ACT where no rego is required register their boats in NSW, the answer is simple if your in NSW you need to be licensed and rego if you boat is capable of 10 knots unless its motor is FIVE hp or less.

BLOOEY
19-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Sounds like a bit of a hastle Andrew. Why not just hit up hastings for a jewie:D Ben

aussiefool
19-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a bit of a hastle Andrew. Why not just hit up hastings for a jewie:D Ben

I'll be down there in 21 days and I can already feel that tel-tail bump then zzzzzzzzzz ;D;D;D
Can not wait.

Roo
19-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Mate run the question past motor rego in darwin, it would be interesting to hear their reply.
But the only ones who you really need to ask is the state where you intend to boat.
It may also pay you to attempt to get them to put their opinion in writing for you.......that will get them ducking and weaving....;D , I've got $50 that says you wont get it in writing.

Good luck,

I'll take your $50. Its in writing...in the handbook that QLD maritime mob puts out. You must comply with Qld state regulations and would be required to register your boat in QLD. I'd Imagine NSW would be the same.

Most people who live the the ACT where no rego is required register their boats in NSW, the answer is simple if your in NSW you need to be licensed and rego if you boat is capable of 10 knots unless its motor is FIVE hp or less.

I've just been researching this very thing for our little tin tub bassin boat. In NSW (our home state) we can have up to 5hp without need to register the boat.....Qld its 4hp!!! so If I get the 5hp motor I would need to register the boat just to use it over the border (15 minutes drive from home). So I'll be getting a 4 or less so I don't have to bother.

Cheers Roo.

P.S. G'day Andrew, hope the move nth has been good. Cheers

russ81
10-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Hows it going guys

I have just moved from Brissie to Darwin and asked the same question to QLD transport for when i come back to Brissie for holidays the response i received was that QLD transport will honour any other states rego as for my case not requiring rego i was told that in the event of being stopped i would just have to produce evidence of my NT residency.

As for the point of the no rego no insurance post you don't pay CTP insurance on you boat rego so it is irrelevant you will notice on your boat insurance there is a little part covering liability that covers you for this eventuality.