PDA

View Full Version : Old Timers / First Timers

Donny Boy
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
G'day all,

Went looking for a similar thread to give me some joy, but couldn't find one.....:(

Going to have a go at Awoonga at Easter, 10 days with Wifey, Mate & his family.
Taking 2 boats, 14ft Tinnie & 18ft Glass Half Cab. Should be enough....;)

Intending to put the tents up at Lake Awoonga Caravan Park........
So, any rants or raves about the place ??? All or any info would be great....;D

Also, first timers for Barra fishing, was thinking about a trip out with Harro up there to learn a bit......then have a go ourselves.....maybe:-[

So again, any basic things we should be doing / thinking of ???

I've read a bit about the Prop busters :o........... so might be out a bit further.

Awoonga
12-01-2009, 07:18 PM
G'day all,

Went looking for a similar thread to give me some joy, but couldn't find one.....:(

Going to have a go at Awoonga at Easter, 10 days with Wifey, Mate & his family.
Taking 2 boats, 14ft Tinnie & 18ft Glass Half Cab. Should be enough....;)

Intending to put the tents up at Lake Awoonga Caravan Park........
So, any rants or raves about the place ??? All or any info would be great....;D

Also, first timers for Barra fishing, was thinking about a trip out with Harro up there to learn a bit......then have a go ourselves.....maybe:-[

So again, any basic things we should be doing / thinking of ???

I've read a bit about the Prop busters :o........... so might be out a bit further. Easter time at Awoonga.....Madness.... Yes a guide will cut the learning curve down by half....at least....The half Cab will be good for trolling... thats about its limits....The tinnie thats depends on its equipment... electric ??? Awoonga is the most pressured barra impoundment with fish that are educated...stealth is number one... l watched in amazement on the weekend at two guys in a tinnie... no electric so they used the wind to drift into a bay ... then through the anchor out.... chains and all...My advice... homework.... buy Johnny Mitchells Monduran DVD Watch it.... them watch it again ...different dam but the basics apply

Donny Boy
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Easter time at Awoonga.....Madness.... Yes a guide will cut the learning curve down by half....at least....The half Cab will be good for trolling... thats about its limits....The tinnie thats depends on its equipment... electric ??? Awoonga is the most pressured barra impoundment with fish that are educated...stealth is number one... l watched in amazement on the weekend at two guys in a tinnie... no electric so they used the wind to drift into a bay ... then through the anchor out.... chains and all...My advice... homework.... buy Johnny Mitchells Monduran DVD Watch it.... them watch it again ...different dam but the basics apply

You beauty.........Thanks mate.
I always say...........When you want answers.............. go right to the source !!!
By christ ...you might get a few PM'S buddy !!;)

Madness at Easter eh ?
Sorta got a similar impression when told today the Cara Park was booked out.
Asked how many it holds, & she said " LOTS !!"

Cruiser only good for trolling ?? Bummer...
The tinnie has a Yam 40 behind it..............no electrics.

Will be grabbing DVD as suggested, have also seen one somewhere just about Awoonga, might try to grab that too !

Thanks so far, I'll be asking more ..............

SeekingBarradise
12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi Don have a great trip mate it's good to see you are keen as.

The DVD called Fish Awoonga is made by the same bloke - Johnny Mitchell.

There are lot's of clues spread throughout the dvd so you will have fun watching it a few times mate.

Rod Harrisons Barra book is also a good read on impoundment barra mate, well worth the $30. Lot's of barra knowledge for the price of a carton of beer.

Try trolling in to the wind to slow your lures and plastics down.

Have a fun trip.
Cheers Lyndon.

Big_Ren
13-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Don

Trev and Lyndon have given you some top advice.

A quiet, stealthy approach is the key to it all. Sneak in on spots if you are in the tinny, and keep noise to a minimum, as the fish are not only educated (most of the 3 million have been hooked at one time or another) but can be easily spooked.

You'll also earn heaps of cudos from other boat users if you keep a respectful distance away (at least 100 metres is a good starting point), as they will be working their own little patch of undisturbed water.

There are 3 million barra stocked in the lake and they are all landlocked, so they can be spread throughout the impoundment.....in other words there are boundless fishing options (for the tinny in particular)..........weed banks and edges, drop offs, steep and shallow points, flats, timber structure, weedy bays, deep water, shallow water, the main river bed. Plenty of styles too.....casting hardbodies and soft plastics, trolling, deep water jigging and so on. Look for bait schools, working birds and other usual signposts of feeding fish.

If you are trolling, keep everything slow, into the wind at not much more than a tick above idle should be fine......you want your lure working at its optimum depth, so make sure you let at least 30 metres of line out.

If you are casting hardbody lures, again keep it SLOW. You want to keep your lure in the strike zone for as long as possible. Cast out and drive the lure down to its working depth, throw in a few twitches, vary the pace, sometimes just slow roll the lure back to you.

Make sure you upgrade your trebles on your hard bodies. Barra are a powerful customer and most hooks straight out of the box are a waste of time, they can be destroyed very easily. Owner St-66 trebles are the pick of the bunch, not cheap, but they might just help you stay connected. Most popular hook sizes are #2, #1 and 1/0. Also upgrade your split rings to heavy duty Halco or Owners (#6 I think).

Tie good strong knots that won't let you down. Most of us use braid line (anywhere between 30-50lb) should be fine, and 80lb mono leaders at a minimum.

If you intend on releasing the fish, please handle them carefully, and support their weight at all times....one wet hand or forearm under their belly and thumb and forefinger grip on their bottom lip. They can be easily damaged or killed if manhandled or hung vertically (gill latch can sever).

If you want to measure them on a brag mat, wet the mat first to keep things cool and wet.

Keep them out of water for no more than a minute if you can, have cameras and kodak smiles ready, then straight back in the water for a healthy release. Lower them in gently, and try to keep the barra upright (not on her side) so her equilibrium can be restored quicker. A gentle squeeze near her tail will usually see her power away and give you a free freshwater shower to boot8-) .

Good luck with it all. Most importantly, remember to have fun, and if you have a heart condition, remember to take your medication;)

Cheers
Paul

Whitto
13-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey Don......Heaps of good sound advise from the boys....just don't overload yourself with all the information u can get your hands on...u will just become confused....take on board all the up grade information on Hooks /Rings.....Paul has given u a great piece of advise and that is go out and enjoy yourself.....cause that first Barra will happen when u least expect it....at that point you are hooked as well as the Barra.....Good luck with it all and good Fishing.....Whitto PS: Don't be afraid to ask any question even if u think it's silly someone will help with an answer

Donny Boy
15-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks so far guys. Terrific info this.

Bought Fish Awoonga yesterday & watched last night.......for the first time.
Think I'll be watching that a few times. What an eye opener. !!

Trying to take it all on board.....................so please,....keep it coming.
Will be making the trip to the tackle shop this w/e probably.

That should be interesting as I'm only set up for Saltwater so far, & I think the max I have in the line dept is 20 kg mono !

Ah well,........gotta start somewhere !!