PDA

View Full Version : My day. How do I fix my motor [FIXED]

kind_cir
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
WAS THE KILL SWITCH { Isolated it and got spark back }

Plan was to take the daughter to bribe side of passage to swim snorkle and fish.

My day:

Went to go boaties with the girl. First get the boat out... hmm pile of dirt and pile of garden waste, time to skull drag it through,.. Done. Next load it up and hook it on and get girl orginised,.. Done. Un hitch it and drive to wollies to get a travel lunch, come back and hook up the boat, again. Get to ramp and launch boat, where is all that water comming from. Winch boat on trailer drain water and insert the bung which I forgot to last time. Launch boat again, and load girl, start motor, reverse, motor stops, wind blows us to shore. Try to restart, get worn out, rest, try again, start rope breaks. Load boat on trailer again, go home. Go get starter rope from supercheap, fix with much swearing, try to start, no go, pull plugs, no spark, unload boat put on cover and wheel to side. >:(

1991 evinrude 9.9. Won"t start and has weak then no spark, week and no spark ect
What could be wrong? Please help!

Blackened
12-01-2009, 02:26 PM
G'day

Weak and then no spark? Either the plugs themselves or maybe the CDI pack

Dave

chevyJ
12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Try a plug first. Much cheaper than a CDI pack

finga
12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Or the kill switch and it's wiring.
Lot of connections could be a bit on the sad side too.
Dirty surfaces under the flywheel on the stator etc
Does your look like this?
http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/38189.cfm

kind_cir
12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Or the kill switch and it's wiring.
Lot of connections could be a bit on the sad side too.
Dirty surfaces under the flywheel on the stator etc
Does your look like this?
http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/38189.cfm

Funny you should say that, as the last few trips have gone like this: Motoring along going full speed, motor cuts out, pull pull, no start, jiggle stop switch, pull, fires first go. 5 min later, same thing.
Yes it looks same as pic.
On another note I had to pull the fly wheel months ago top fix throttle. Everting went back fine, but after a few trips I get the stopping problem as above.

How does the circut of the stop switch work ? can I bypass it somehow?

you also mention dirty surface on the stator. After fraying af the start rope there is a lot of material floating round the engine compartment. What is a stator and what does it look like.

Anything else I should know?

levinge
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
How long has the boat been sitting between trips, this can cause the separation of water and fuel in the tank, quite possible that the fuel is contaminated and has flowed through to your motor causing the stall and no start. Check your fuel first, if you get all sorts of other work done without checking this first, you'll be back to square 1 as soon as you start her up next time..

kind_cir
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
fuel is freshish as I use the boat at least every 2nd week. Plugs are good, replaced 4 months ago well before I had dramas and only cause the old ones were worn. I checked for spark and it's weak then non exisitant ect.

FNQCairns
12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Sometime you hear that the spark needs to be bright and jump a XX sized crack etc...pretty much it's guff when checking at the engine and without other tools, if you see a any spark then consider it OK at this stage and go looking elsewhere, elsewhere is anywhere that cost's nothing but time.

I too would look at fuel, drain bowl, evacuate as best as possible all fuel line then use fresh fuel. Also look closely at the starting procedure, lot's of initial throttle helps to kick flooded and oiled 2 strokes into life.

Another choice is use an ether spray, if it will not kick with this stuff then look for non fuel related problems. Urban legends abound with the use of this stuff, a person has to be a complete nong to do any damage. it's a great indicator as well as a great get it started tool when nothing else so far has.

cheees fnq

Spaniard_King
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Funny you should say that, as the last few trips have gone like this: Motoring along going full speed, motor cuts out, pull pull, no start, jiggle stop switch, pull, fires first go. 5 min later, same thing.
Yes it looks same as pic.
On another note I had to pull the fly wheel months ago top fix throttle. Everting went back fine, but after a few trips I get the stopping problem as above.

How does the circut of the stop switch work ? can I bypass it somehow?

you also mention dirty surface on the stator. After fraying af the start rope there is a lot of material floating round the engine compartment. What is a stator and what does it look like.

Anything else I should know?

Follow the wiring from the stop switch.. 1 wire will go to the ower pack. the other will earth ou on the block.. best to disconnect the earth on the block.. just be aware that if it starts you will need to earth out the switch and then activate the switch if required.

kind_cir
13-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks, will isolate the switch and see if spark improves. If that fails I will then pull the flywheel and check to see if stator is clean.

dreemon
13-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Also check that All ground wire connections are very clean and tight, it fixed mine before.

kind_cir
13-01-2009, 04:57 PM
WAS THE KILL SWITCH { Isolated it and got spark back }

THANK YOU EVERYONE