PDA

View Full Version : What size is best?

Cheech
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Thinking about getting one, but have no idea what is better. They seem to range between 2.7 and 4.7m length, and some have foot steering.

A friend and I are planning to hire a couple from our local Anacontda store and give them a go first. Try first to see if we like it.

So short or long?

foot steering or not?

I know we need sit on top.

Will be estuary only, unless we later get adventurous and try out the Scarborough reefs.

Thanks,

Cheech

kind_cir
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
How will you transport it ? Will you be able to lif it onto roof racks, or will it be too heavy? Answer these to come up with your answer.
Very short yaks, tend to not track well and snake side to side as you paddle, but this depends on design. Long yaks are good for offshore in swell ect, but don't turn well, but a rudder on such a craft will aleaviate this a bit. Narrow and it will be fast and easy to paddle, but tippy side to side. Fat will be stable, carry more weight, harder to paddle and slow.

I would keep it under 4m, under 25kg, with a load cappacity of at least 130kg. Around the middle some would say.

Cheech
12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
How will you transport it ? Will you be able to lif it onto roof racks, or will it be too heavy? Answer these to come up with your answer.
Very short yaks, tend to not track well and snake side to side as you paddle, but this depends on design. Long yaks are good for offshore in swell ect, but don't turn well, but a rudder on such a craft will alleviate this a bit. Narrow and it will be fast and easy to paddle, but tippy side to side. Fat will be stable, carry more weight, harder to paddle and slow.

I would keep it under 4m, under 25kg, with a load capacity of at least 130kg. Around the middle some would say.

I have a 4x4 with roofrack.

As the racks are close to the back, I am thinking that I should be able to lift one end up and on to the back of the rack so it is leaning at a 45 degree angle, and then go to the end that is on the ground, lift it and slide it on. Also has bullbar so easy to tether the front to the bullbar.

I only weigh 75kg. Not that fit, but not bad for my maturing years. Does that mean I can get away with a narrower yak to make advantage of easier paddling?

So as I am only intending to use it in smooth to semi smooth water, something around 3.5 - 4m and about 750 - 800mm wide, with rudder if available in my price range. Is that about it?

tunaticer
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a 4m Perception Swing and it handles very easily for turning and wave capability. Had it out in 1.5m seas last weekend and it was surprisingly good.

If you are going to be fishing open waters with a chop you will appreciate 3.5m or longer yaks.

Be careful in selecting though, some that look fantastic do not have good weight carrying capacities. Minimum weight would be 130kgs I think for a capacity. If you can have a test run with both paddling and loading the yak onto your vehicle before you buy. Some kayaks have very little to get a good grip on for loading / unloading and are quite unbalanced or tail heavy.

Whatever yak you feel comfortable with will be the right one, what anyone recommends may not feel comfortable for you.

Just_chips
13-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Check out the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum.net.au and head for the section titled 'Which Kayak for Me'.

Within these pages you will find a comprehensive list of makes and models complete with specifications, features, fitout options and reveiws of dozens of different kayaks.

This will give you an idea of what is available on the market and from there you could organise to test paddle through different distributors etc.

Good luck. It is an addictive past-time once you get started.

Kev