PDA

View Full Version : Baia Lodge New Britain

Dan5
10-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Well i've been looking into going over to PNG for a while with a few other mate's chasing Black Bass for some time now.Apparently Baia lodge is one of the best places to use as a base camp it's on the island of New Britain which is east of the mainland of PNG.

The trip planning is only in it's first stages so nothing is set in concrete,myself and three other mate's are looking at being there in september hopefully.
Two of us will fly from Darwin to Cairns where 2 other guy's will join us and then onto Port Morsby then over to the island by plane then travel by road and then by boat to the lodge.

It's situated on the northern side of the island at the foot of a volcano next to a large estuary system with plenty of good bass water with in minute's of the lodge,also there's all the other tropical sportfish to go along with it aswell.

There is a short video clip on youtube about the lodge and some of the fishing that is avalible,at the moment i'm waiting on a promotional dvd to be sent over to me with some more info about the place but so far it look's good.

Just wondering if anyone else has been there or know's anything about the place.

So for the last couple of months i've been gearing up on some new tackle to take over with me i don't wanna go over there un-prepared that's for sure.........I'm really looking foward to it hopefully it will be the trip of a lifetime........

Dan,

eureka
10-01-2009, 11:05 PM
sounds like a top trip I remember seeing a video of rod harrison fishing for black bass over there but can't remember where

Dan5
10-01-2009, 11:15 PM
sounds like a top trip I remember seeing a video of rod harrison fishing for black bass over there but can't remember where

Yes i think i've watched some of those video's once or twice myself........Not for a long time though........15 years or more.........They proberbly help plant the seed,

Dan

3rd degree
10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi Dan,

Thats the Baia Sportsfishing Lodge your refering to isn't it? I think a bloke called Riccard runs it?

If so a mate and a few others went up last year for about 10 days.

The accom is good from all accounts the fishing excellent, the boats quite sound and the guides look after you.

Some of those who went weren't serious fishos and didn't catch alot, but my mate who is pretty serious caught 10 times the others, including plenty of black bass.

The bass weren't the biggest (up to 70 odd cm) and my understanding is that by running day trips from the Lodge you only can fish so far upstream which is what most people do and on that basis that stretch of the river/creek is regularly fished.

Old mate told me that you can opt to do an overnighter style trip and camp on the bank and make you may up further and fish less frequented areas and that is where the big girls are!

Riccard also has an offshore rig and showed the boys plenty of action including a massive yellowfin.

My mate reckons it that good him and I are planning to head over in August this year.

Cheers

Jim

Dan5
10-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah mate thats the one,Riccard is the guy that we have e-mailed.
Another mate of mine put us onto him,apparently he is a good operator and know's his stuff........It would be interesting to find out some more about the overnighter up river ............that sounds like me allover...........We got told to go in August,september and november for a few reason's mainly good water clarity for the bass.......Definatly keep in contact and see how you go.........i still want to look into Bensbach yet.....Alex Julius up here was running some rips over there but i'll have to find out some more.

Dan

NAGG
11-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Sounds like a great trip Dan ..... Its something that is on my list.

Just on the New Britain front ..... I know of a couple of people that have done return visits & over the years what the government has allowed is criminal ( logging in particular) ....... rivers that were pristine black & spot tail bass haunts are today unfishable
So with that sort of treatment ..... "it may just be a case of get in while you can "

Chris

Dan5
11-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Sounds like a great trip Dan ..... Its something that is on my list.

Just on the New Britain front ..... I know of a couple of people that have done return visits & over the years what the government has allowed is criminal ( logging in particular) ....... rivers that were pristine black & spot tail bass haunts are today unfishable
So with that sort of treatment ..... "it may just be a case of get in while you can "

Chris

Yeah i suppose nothing last's forever.......progress suck's sometime's......

They want to grow cotton up here along the Daly which in my opinion would have a similar effect.............let's hope that never happen's.

Dan,,,

NAGG
11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah i suppose nothing last's forever.......progress suck's sometime's......

They want to grow cotton up here along the Daly which in my opinion would have a similar effect.............let's hope that never happen's.

Dan,,,

At least here we will do an "environmental impact study" over there the government just sells off the rights to the highest bidder ..... That's it
When I went to Madang during the 90s ... Our host "Brett Middleton" was telling us how the Russian trawlers were invited in to plunder the yellowfin Tuna stocks - unbelievable ..... but this is what happens in developing countries - sadly

Chris

aussiebasser
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Dan,

I fished Baia in August last year. It was an unbelievable experience. Riccard owns the lodge, and his manager is Shannon. (Riccard is fishing on Fraser Island at the moment.) The accomodation is excellent, and the guides and people of Baia are wonderful. We're planning to return this year, and next year. There has been no logging in the area, (most of that is on the mainland). The species we caught were: Black and Spot Tail Bass, Mangrove Jack, Tarpon, Cod (3 different species) Long Tom, Wahoo, Yellowfin, Mack Tuna, Striped Tuna, Trevally, Mackeral and a few others.

Sunrise from the Lodge
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/gallery/0/3_03_09_08_8_16_27_2.JPG

Here's a coupla the fishies we got

Dan5
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Thank's for the photo's mate........look's good,
Did you supply your own gear or use the lodge's equipment?

How was the transfer over to the lodge from Morsby?

Sounds like you enjoyed yourelf.......repeat buisness is always a good indication.

Thank's Dan,

Steve B
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Aussie basser,

If you have time, and more photos. I would love to hear a more detailed report on your weeks activities, ie locations, stlyes of fishing, gear used, how many fish a day etc.....any further info and story would be a great read....I for one are planning a trip to that country at some stage....any first hand recent info is greatly appreciated.

cheers Steve

Dan5
11-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Aussie basser,

If you have time, and more photos. I would love to hear a more detailed report on your weeks activities, ie locations, stlyes of fishing, gear used, how many fish a day etc.....any further info and story would be a great read....I for one are planning a trip to that country at some stage....any first hand recent info is greatly appreciated.

cheers Steve

Yes......what Steve said.......

I too would love to see and read a more detailed report..............I think alot of Ausfisher's would acctually..........

Dan,

aussiebasser
11-01-2009, 10:44 PM
There's a bit here:

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,1957.0.html

aussiebasser
15-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's one of the prettier Cod you may enounter. This one was taken in the Sai river north east of Baia. If you get to the Sai, have a cast at the snag out from the mouth. You'll only get a couple of shots. Nobody knows what lives there, but it's big and it's angry!

tony2dogs
12-02-2009, 10:47 PM
A mate of mine went and as a result he very easily convinced another 5 of us to go back with him. You do have to book a long way ahead, like we had 2 choices left up to October 2009 and that was when we booked in July 08. Cost is around $3,600 - $3900 (including the $800 deposit), + your air travel to Port Moresby, then to Hoskins, and you will need to add about $120 total for non spirit drinks and any extra nights you have at Liamo resort @ $150 a night. Not counting but I reckon maybe 9 weeks and 3 days to go.

:P8-);D:D:);)

tony2dogs
13-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Go to the post titled "New Guinea Tour Operator" for the update on this trip....

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=151884&highlight=baia

aussiebasser
14-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey 2 Dogs,

Pam and I went for 10 days this year. We had the last two weeks of July there. We loved it again. I got a 20lb Spot Tail this year. We're already looking at dates for next year's trip.