PDA

View Full Version : buying a cat , but which one

shauno83
10-01-2009, 10:37 AM
hey guys, livin in mackay and buyin a new boat, want a cat but finding it hard to get un bias info of the dealers:-/ , was lookin at the sailfish 2400 gamefisher, but can get a kevlacat for the same amount. been told sailfish ride is a bit bangy compared. the water up here is quite short and choppy, so thought a cat would be ideal. your thoughts on pro s and cons on the different brands would be much appreciated as its all getting quite confusing:-/ . and what do ya think about yhe evinrude e-tecs. worth takin the suzuki s or the hondas off to put the e-tecs on ..... thanks shouno

Blackened
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
G'day

Run a search here on cats, IMO look thoroughly at coastalcat, kevlacat, noosacat, markham just for a start,

Begin with a budget and intended tow vehicle go from there,

No it's not worth changing the suzi or honda for etec, they're equally as good in this kind of application.

You'll get a heap of info, do not discount the sharkcats either

Dave

NAGG
10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Shauno ....... I occasionally fish out of a 6M Sailfish - & at the displeasure of the owner :-X I think it bangs a bit too ! ....... Having said that the boat is very seaworthy though a bit wet with the spray being sucked into the helm area. .......
I've done a big run home in it with a 40knt Southerly Buster hitting us side on for the hour run back to port......... I never felt threatened at all.

Now my mate is on his second Sailfish & he loves em ........ He has also owned 2 broadbills & 2 Sharkcats ......

A reality is ..... glass wont bang like alloy

Chris

Dean1
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I have never been in a sailfish but ive heard they are nice riding boats. Do yourself a favour and organise a run in one when conditions are ordinary.

Ive been in a 2400 Kevlacat and love em. I have the smaller Kevlacat 5.2m and love it. Stay away from Dominators, coastalcats are great boats but resale is not as good as the others. And as for motors stick with Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, Definately dont pull em off to put on Etecs that would be degrading the boat. Bad move. Hi etecowners ;D Sharkcats are fine and well priced. Cheers.

shauno83
10-01-2009, 02:42 PM
going out in a test run soon with the kc 2400 , but got very limited time on cats , so dont really have much to compare them with. in the multi hull area. sailfish are down in nsw which is gunna make it hard to juggle time around work to go for a ride in one.:( any one in the mackay region with a sailfish keen to help a bloke out and take me for a quick squirt;D . it would be good if anyones ever had the two point out the differences. its gunna be my first cat and am leaning towards the sailfish simply because the gamefisher i recon is the perfect fishin layout......:P . just not shore about the ride

krazyfisher
10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
The is some one on here with a sailfish.. from mackay, did not have the best luck with it.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=106015&highlight=sailfish

sleepygreg
10-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I fished out of a mates 7m Sailfish cat while I was living in Sydney (Sealord Charters) - in fact I helped him set it up for the charter business. My brother owns a KC 2400 offshore which is now my regular ride. IMHO the KC rides better than the sailfish even though it is a smaller boat (just). It is also better appointed and quieter. If you want the ride of a much larger boat go the KC. Sharkcats have a great reputation, but are a lot heavier = more power required, bigger tow vehicle etc. We have come back across Moreton Bay in some atrocious conditions, and even been outside in conditions that had the guys in the 40 and 50 footers concerned for our wellbeing, but though uncomfortable, never felt unsafe. in fact they offered us to tuck in behind them on the run back in, but we were better off in open water, could make better time than them. In my opinion the KC 2400 is the ultimate pocket game boat.

Greg

Lovey80
11-01-2009, 01:05 AM
If i had the dough there would be a 2400KC at home right now. The sailfish gamefisher looks like an awesome boat and love the layout in them. I think customising is still available too???? If there was ever something I needed in a boat that wasn't on the KC it would I would then turn to either Sailfish (ally) or Coatal cat (glass) and go from there..

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Why doesnt KC make a hardtop and sides in the small range? Some guys like me want a full glass screen (no clears)??????

John Buoy
11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I have the smaller Kevlacat 5.2m and love it. Stay away from Dominators
Might wanna come for a ride in mine as you might change your opinion ;D
Dont know about all the bigger model dramas but this 5mt ducky kicks some
butt :D ;)

Regards Frank

Laraby
14-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Shauno - This will throw a spanner in the works.
Have you ever considered looking at a Power Cat ? These boats have an amazing ride. If you go for a run in a KC and you think it is good, then you will be amazed if you go for a ride in a Power Cat. I own a 2600 and have been caught out in some huge seas off Gladstone (big waves and swells) & Hervey Bay (shorter sharper chop) and the boat handled it with ease tracking true and straight . I have also been out in my brother in-laws KC and the behaviour of the boat actually scared me:o in big seas.The power Cat has higher gunwhales and higher bow so feels a lot safer when you can't see land.If you want a serious off shore boat ,Power Cat have a fairly extensive size and configeration range and the boats seem to hold there value very well. They can also be legally towed by Land Cruiser or Patrol type 4x4.Check these boats out, after all their 2600 didn't win THE AUSTRALIAN BOAT OF THE YEAR for nothing.
Larry.

finding_time
14-02-2009, 12:55 PM
[quote=Laraby;970761Check these boats out, after all their 2600 didn't win THE AUSTRALIAN BOAT OF THE YEAR for nothing.
Larry.[/quote]

To right ! They probably paid for alot more advertising in that mag than any of there compeditors!;) Boat of the year awards infact any boat write-ups are as dodgy as imho! It's all about revenue for the publication!

Shano

The most important thing to remember when going for your test drives is cat's feel and drive TOTALLY differantly from any monohull, They do things that make you wonder what you have got yourself into , lean the wrong way, track, etc. You have sais you haven't been in many so go with the feel dont fight it and after a 100 hrs or so you'll love it!;)

Ian

Ps. i personally love the 2400 kc just an awesome boat!

cormorant
14-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I hate to say it but with the financial stress going round with mines closing a few cats must turn up second hand in the next 6 months and will be well appointed . Finance sales?

As for motors if they are only a few years old and low hours brand isn't relevant as I don't know of a total dog motor out there so changing from one to another is just burning cash. .

Just have to check with cats that it is a hull that can take the extra 4st weight if it is an older model.

As for the no glass screens quessie , with self draining decks already getting a high center of gravity, lightweight hulls ( note I didn't say they wern't strong) a full cabin is a lot of weight forward in a fine hulled cat and a lot of wind resistance kills performance.

Laraby
14-02-2009, 04:20 PM
[quote=finding_time;970864]To right ! They probably paid for alot more advertising in that mag than any of there compeditors!;) Boat of the year awards infact any boat write-ups are as dodgy as imho! It's all about revenue for the publication!

To right, I would never spend over 100g's on a boat I had only read a write-up in a glossy mag.- I did the hard yards out in the big paddock and test drove the competetors craft before I handed over the cash. I'm not to sure you're on the right track with the mag thing though. The AMIF is not a magazine , they are a federation for the boating industry.Maybe you need to go for a run in these boats to fully understand! :)
larry

OPTI
14-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Forget the cats ,they are all no where ,the edencraft 233 is the boat you want ,will eat any cat for breakfast!flame suit on .lol;D

The-easyrider
14-02-2009, 05:42 PM
hey guys, livin in mackay and buyin a new boat, want a cat but finding it hard to get un bias info of the dealers:-/ , was lookin at the sailfish 2400 gamefisher, but can get a kevlacat for the same amount. been told sailfish ride is a bit bangy compared. the water up here is quite short and choppy, so thought a cat would be ideal. your thoughts on pro s and cons on the different brands would be much appreciated as its all getting quite confusing:-/ . and what do ya think about yhe evinrude e-tecs. worth takin the suzuki s or the hondas off to put the e-tecs on ..... thanks shouno

It will be dam hard to get unbiasd oppinions on cats or motors on here ;D

DAZMC1
14-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Forget the cats ,they are all no where ,the edencraft 233 is the boat you want ,will eat any cat for breakfast!flame suit on .lol;D
Now your talking!

John Buoy
14-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Then you'll need to add your wetsuit to the mix ;D ;D ;D

regards frank

Big G
14-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Jason has just finished a 6m Jaycat ready for sea trial. phone him for a run in it.
make up your own mind when you sea trial it. It is foolish to ask anyone who has paid big $ for a boat if it is good or not.... they will always tell you how great it is or they have to admit they made a mistake buying it...... try before you buy.
You may not even like cats once you have had a sea trial or you may fall in love.

Make your own mind up by having an extensive sea trial in average weather.
find Jasons number on www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au (http://www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au) you can talk to him on his mobile after hours ....just say Big G said so.

good luck

marine engineer
15-02-2009, 02:12 AM
I know where there is a cheap Raider Cat!!!!

cormorant
15-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Jason has just finished a 6m Jaycat ready for sea trial. phone him for a run in it.
make up your own mind when you sea trial it. It is foolish to ask anyone who has paid big $ for a boat if it is good or not.... they will always tell you how great it is or they have to admit they made a mistake buying it...... try before you buy.
You may not even like cats once you have had a sea trial or you may fall in love.

Make your own mind up by having an extensive sea trial in average weather.
find Jasons number on www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au (http://www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au) you can talk to him on his mobile after hours ....just say Big G said so.

good luck

Surprisingly there is no perfect boat and there is a lot of honest people who will actually point out both good and bad points of their rig.

I am yet to own the perfect boat for all conditions regardless of what you pay.

A lot of people who have bought then onsold a boat will be happy to note the upside and downside of their boat.
Harder with newer rigs as there will be a smaller group of people who have tested them if a lot of conditions and there is always those with a vested interest throwing in their 2c worth.

It is always just an opinion off a website or an in person meeting and we all have bias in some way. Always be happy to listen to everyones opinion and then see if it applies to my circumstances.

I have seen a lot of good boats badly set up and badly helmed and that doesn't mean the boat is no good but is a lot of hard work for that owner and a bad ownership experience.

I've been on dealers test boats and if that is the best set up you could get I wouldn't want to own it but on a sister boat I was impressed in the same conditions. Amazes me some dealers have no idea or not enough time in their rigs to sort them properly be it engine height or toe in , toe out.

Trailers also add a big part to the ownership pleasure or nightmare experience from towing to launch and retrieve.

Especially underpowered cats leave a bad taste with me as the real pleasure is opening them up in perfect conditions as they will consistantly run faster and harder than most of us have the balls to try.

bugman
15-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I reckon if I had to buy a cat it would be a Persian ...... no wait a Tabby!!!!!

julian1
16-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Cheers

Chris

P.S. Why doesnt KC make a hardtop and sides in the small range? Some guys like me want a full glass screen (no clears)??????

i heard its on the drawing board for the 2400, but probably on hold until the industry picks up again you would think