PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass Fishig Canoes

Reel
09-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi Guys,

Am considering purchasing a fibreglass 4.1mte fishing canoe with a transom from a canoe builder at Greenbank SEQ. Does anyone have a similiar type canoe who can maybe offer some advise on their suitability for fishing creeks, dams and lakes?.

How do these compare with a fishing kayak?. Any help and advise much appreciated guys and gals.

Ron

Apollo
10-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Ron

We have a 5m canadian style canoe and use it for creek and dam fishing. I have been fishing in canoes for years. I find it excellent for sneeky water fishing. My only issue is that I found it leaves you very vunerable to the idiot factor with other boaties. You seem to get one or two morons who think it is funny to go a bit closer to a canoe and give it a bit of wave action. If you have a young kid with you, it ain't so funny. SO, if you intend to fish/travel in higher traffic areas, consider carefully. If you only want to do sneeky fishing, then a canoe is the way to go.

Cheers
Steve

warrior
10-01-2009, 08:30 AM
ron i too am looking at one to get for this style of fishing i have 2 mates with the canadian style ones and they go to all kinds of sweet water ,with the idiot factor with other boaties they fitted a small outrigger out of pvc pipe with shade cloth in the middle it stabilised the canoe brilliantly and also gave them another spot too put rods and light gear while they were fishing

Reel
10-01-2009, 06:33 PM
thanks a lot warrior and apollo for the info, warrior would you have a pic to show us the outrigger made out of pvc?. the fibreglass one im purchasing has has detachable stabiliers that can be attached to the bottom, has anyone experienced this kind of thing on a canoe................i must admit being a bit of a fattie hahahaha it has me concerned somewhat over its stability.

Leigh77
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
The other thing you should take in account is the amount of rocks/rapids that you may encounter. Fibreglass canoes are not the best thing to drag over rocks/log piles. If you are thinking you may encounter such terrain as this, then I would strongly recommend a plastic canoe.

Also fibreglass canoes are a lot heavier then their plastic kin also.

Leigh.