PDA

View Full Version : 20hp 4stroke Mercury

BlitzBaga
09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Guys
I was just wondering if anybody has a 20hp merc in the 4 stroke version that they can comment on, I have been looking at upgrading my motor and I really like the all in one tiller forward and reverse gears Etc. The Honda Bf20 is the same price but it has a separate gear shift and the transom for a short shaft is about 50mm longer than the Merc. The Merc is also about 6 or 7 Kgs heavier than the Honda which isn't much but it all adds up.

Cheers
Murray

Blackened
10-01-2009, 07:41 AM
G'day

I don't have a 4 banger nor the 20hp, but I will say you will absolutely love the all in one tiller design they have. I don't know what i'd do without mine.

You may find the reduction in shaft length an advantage with engine height, best off checking measurements of mounting point- anti-ventilation plate and from the top of your transom to keel and see how thay compare

Dave

winston
10-01-2009, 08:21 AM
BlitzBaga, the latest Queensland Fishing Monthly has an article/test on one of these on a Savage . The article/test is a little superficial. Cheers Winston.

BlitzBaga
11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Dave

The all in one tiller is my main reason for going the Merc, I allready have the all in one on my 9.9 Merc, I couldn't live without it now myself.

And thanks Winston, I will have to get the latest QFM

Cheers
Murray

MeePee_99
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I have the merc 30 efi 4 st and it is awesome, love it.

BlitzBaga
20-01-2009, 08:31 PM
THANKS GUYS

I am actaully ordering the 20 4 stroke in the morning.

Cheers
Murray

BlitzBaga
24-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I got my new motor fitted this morning and took it for a run out at the river, all went well except for the vibration at trolling speed (just above idle), it vibrates the whole boat:-[ , so much that you can feel it affecting your vision:'( . Surely this can't be right, i'm hoping it is just in need of a tune up at the first service. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Cheers
Murray

NormC
25-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Quite the opposite Murray. I have the 30 HP EFI 4 stroke and it is the smoothest and quietest motor I have ever owned.
Can't think what the problem might be. Return to dealer for a check up is the only suggestion.

Norm C

BlitzBaga
27-01-2009, 02:28 PM
The dealer said it will need tuning at the 20Hr service. I have probably almost finished running it in now having done between 7 and 8 Hrs. It does 44 Klm/Hr with 2 people in it, it feels pretty quick.

Cheers
Murray