PDA

View Full Version : Penn Applause 6000

tailorboi99
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi all, I am going to invest in a Penn Applause 6000 to go with my recently purchased 10-15kg spin rod. Is this a good choice? I'll be spinning for macs and tuna with some live baiting maybe. Should I fill it with braid? If so which brand and style?

Tom,
thanks. All help appreciated greatly!

reggy
09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi all, I am going to invest in a Penn Applause 6000 to go with my recently purchased 10-15kg spin rod. Is this a good choice? I'll be spinning for macs and tuna with some live baiting maybe. Should I fill it with braid? If so which brand and style?

Tom,
thanks. All help appreciated greatly!
Hi Tom
I bought an Applause 7000 when they were first released. I used mine for about 6 months(about 6 or 7 times) and the drag went very jerky.

I pulled the reel down to discover what looks like canvas drag washers, (Ithought they were carbon)and cleaned and dried them, but still jerky.

I think you could do better looking at reels in that price range from Shimano or Daiwa.
Reggy

tailorboi99
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
What sort of reels in the Daiwa and Shimano range? Thanks for the thumbs up!

Tom

chewy01
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
My mate has caught over 20 longtails on his 4000 with no ill effects.iv got a 1000 and 4000 popped some cals grease on em from erskines and sweet as. i love mine.

tailorboi99
09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks mate, so 6000 is a bit to overkill for Tuna and the likes?

Tom

chewy01
09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Mate it really depends on the rod.Im not sure how long you will be able to throw a 10/15kg rod with a 6000 applause.My lad has caught a few mack tuna to 6.8 kg on a 2/4 kg squidgy rod and a 2500 shimano slade. I used to use a 6000 spinfisher on a 6kg gary howard samurai but am finding now the lighter gear is easier to use. We are mostly throwing soft plastics for tuna and mackeral now and find we dont need the blistering spped that you need with metal lures.

FNQCairns
09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I have the ryobi non badge engineered same model, it's OK for the job for the price, what about a second-hand TSS4 there are still some around with little or no use for sale every now and then privately, worth about $80-90 tops IMO, they are not flash looking if that matters.

cheers fnq

diabolical
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
For the same sort of money maybe a Rovex Bigboss. Carbon drag washers and well built. Never used one myself but sure someone on here has!

revs57
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
G'day Tom,

The Applause is a good choice, if the drag isn't carbontec, you can get them for it - Your Penn dealer should be able to help you, they do have a good service and warranty back up - Reggy I'd be sending it in for a look if i were you.

I'd reckon the 6000 is a bit of overkill, the 4000 would do nicely and be easy to cast all day.

The Rovex Big boss is a tough reel, a bit more robust than the applause and heavier by nature, I think you'd get better milage out of the Applause. I have a couple of big bosses - one copped quite a few splashes from the briney and I didn't wash it off straight away. The main bearing is open and predicably it went grindy. JW did replace it but its good to be aware. I am most particular with it these days to make sure its rinsed and sprayed immediately upon return to the ramp. It's been O.K. with this care regime.

Good to ask the questions Tom, you're on the right track

cheers

Rhys

tailorboi99
09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Rhys, the rod is 10-15kg but strong, I was thinking the 6000 because I won't be using it just for spinning, I'd use it for live baiting and dead baiting a pilly out under a cork.

Tom

revs57
10-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Hmmm, Tom, now thats a challenge.

Its hard to get a rod that will really suit spinning/working SP's and live/dead baiting. They are such different disciplines and techniques.

It may be worthwhile working out what your major focus will be - for example, say I need some new tyres for my 4wd. Do I get highway tyres, All Terrains or mud terrains? Well, most of my driving is on the black top, but when I go off road, It's either towing Flamin Riptide up Fraser or, later this year we're off on some long service and will look at doing some desert stuff. So I need a tyre that will give me good drivability on the Road and Sand which is around 80% of what I do, with some capacity for corregated roads which will be about 20% of what I do - its going to be a compromise, but will probably look at a set of BFG's, they run on the black top and sand nicely but have some capacity off road with an extra belt in the side wall. Mud Terrains are definitely out of the question, square shoulders, agressive tread patterns, would just dig holes in the sand and not roll over it.

So, if say 80 % of what you will be doing will be spinning slugs and working SP's you'll need to think graphite, better reboundability and capacity for working lures/sp's, and you can still float the occasional livey/bait. If 80% will be baiting either live or dead you would go to something eglass/fibre glass or composite glass and graphite...its a bit cheaper and something like a Penn Spinfisher rod at $60-$80 would do, and you can still use it for casting slugs and working SP's. It going to be a compromise but I'm sure you will find something that will suit

cheers

Rhys

tailorboi99
10-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks Rhys, with the slugs and using a graphite rod I cannot find many with the cast weight they are all up to around 10grams.

Thanks,

Tom