PDA

View Full Version : Somerset fishing reports please

Pretzil
08-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey, I am planning a trip up to somerset in the next few days and I was just wondering if anyone has been up there lately and has any reports and/or tips.

Thanks

RayB
09-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Gidday Pretzil,

I fished Somerset for a couple of days early in the New Year, during the heat wave, and managed to catch approx. 20 bass and 6 Goldens for the 2 days. I spoke to a couple of campers and they were not as successful as maybe the fishing is still a little patchy.

We caught most of our fish on the troll near Kirkleigh. We sounded the fish and then tried different lures until got a reaction. The temperature has changed a little since my trips but still worth a go. The real trick is finding smooth water away from the skiers.

The weekend of the 17th and 18th January is a comp so those days may be worth a miss.

cheers
Raymond

Raydog
14-01-2009, 07:51 PM
hi pretzil,
fished there last tuesday nice day ,no fish tried casting spinners ,jackalls, hard bodies ,trolled had 1 hit on tenterfield shrimp, red but still top day beats work any day.

shaneoo
14-01-2009, 08:49 PM
hi pretzil,
a mate and i fished there last wensday for for one bass at 39cm, took us nearly 4 hrs to find a school off bass active and then they shut down as soon as we hooked one, we worked the school for about 10mins they where about 1 meters to 2 meters off the bottom. I hooked the bass by very slowly lifting and rolling a jackall. and if no bite drop it back to the bottom and start again. The schools we found where in between 8 to 10 mtrs of water. Best of luck i am was hoping to head up there on friday but now i have found out about the comp, might give it a big miss.
best of luck cheers shaneoo

Fishbait
14-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Good reports - I was thinking of going there this weekend myself but am 95% changing my mind now because of the comp which I didn't know was on - I think I'll choose another site to visit this weekend and leave Somerset for another weekend also. Some mixed fishing by the looks but always worth a go. Cheers, Darren.

Fitzy
14-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Gidday Pretzil,

The weekend of the 17th and 18th January is a comp so those days may be worth a miss.

cheers
Raymond

The organisers haven't notified the fish stocking group as yet....

Cheers,

fitzy..