PDA

View Full Version : Flat rock nearly Hoo Thurs 8th

Angla
08-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Laurie for the late start. Picked laurie up at 3.15 instead of 2.30 and that put us at the South Passage Bar after sunrise. It was raining heavily at times but the run across the bay was great until we hit the shallows in Rouse before the bar. They slowed us down but the bar was workable and we hit the 35's first with no show so trolling gear came out. As we passed Flat rock the Purple and silver skirt took off with blinding speed then it was gone. Bitten off before the 6 foot leader with a good 75mm of shredding to the main line end. I would have to say Hoo.
We continued trolling but found it hard going with waves getting onto the bow twice. We were travelling about 40 metres from another 6.0 metre boat and when we were on the crest of a wave they were out of sight in the troughs. You could not see the top of the canopy.
Calling it quits at that point we went back over the bar to be met with glass conditions all the way to Peel. we had a bite to eat and tried in vain for anything. Ended up with a bit of Flake for the table as a consolation prize.

Great day in all

Chris

reel scream
09-01-2009, 02:25 AM
You were out Chris. Well done. Cant now see myself out for at least 11 days.

Cheers Scott

thelump
09-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Bad luck on the Hoo. It was ordinary out there to say the least. We were out in it and got belted pretty good. Got a few fish though so made it worth while.

samson
09-01-2009, 06:57 AM
I'd say it wasn't a hoo with that much shredded line more like a king or gt that got you in the reef before he even got really pissed off or a tuna with a shark up its arse the got belted they usually chew fish off well above leader, wahoo bite offs are always clean cuts.

Angla
09-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Samson for the great advice but I am hanging on the fact that I haven't caught a Wahoo yet but can feel their intensity to have a go at my efforts. It will keep me chasing them. The Purple and silver lure was catching Wahoo for others yesterday so tuna would not be the call and in 48 metres of water to take a lure from the surface to the reef would be extraordinary in a 3 or 4 second blistering run. Then again it could be as you say.

Chris

bigjimg
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Gidday Angla
Mate I have to ask when you say going past Flat Rock how close?
I would say 1.5km wouldn't pass as going past.Jim

Angla
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Around about 1 nautical mile.

I know there is a zone around it, thanks.

Chris

bigjimg
13-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Just wondering Angla,that northwestern end really fired with the hoo. I miss it.
As a matter of fact my blonde brotherinlaw got done for fishing hendersons,lucky for him he got away with only $450 removed from his wallet.That fish could have been a big tuna they have pretty nasty sickles on their tail wrist.Jim

vertico
13-01-2009, 09:36 PM
im saying shark or a big GT

snagking
13-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Coulda been worse, you could have been at work :D

Angla
14-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I am after a Hoo so I am calling it a Hoo. Its the closest I have been for a while other than seeing 2 x 6 foot wahoo surfing over Hutchies about 2 years ago.
That thought will keep me chasing them for a while yet!

Chris

skipalong
15-01-2009, 06:21 AM
unlucky mate they wont be far away

cheers justin