PDA

View Full Version : New Impoundment Barra Reel?

flairj
08-01-2009, 06:33 PM
This might be suited more to Tackle chat but I'll post it here because it might get a bit more traffic.

I was having a bit of a look at some of the overseas tackle sites and came across what looks like it may be a swish new reel for the IBD sufferers. The Team Daiwa Pluton. Looks like it houses a pretty serious drag and sits above the Zillion range. I'll be interested to see when we get it over here and how they go.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLCDAIWA-DPLTR.html

Josh

NAGG
08-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeh .... I saw it on tackle tour ....... It reads pretty good :P

Chris

chewy01
08-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Ill be interested to see how much it costs when it gets here :)

NAGG
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Ill be interested to see how much it costs when it gets here :)

Chew .... i reckon we will be looking at $600-$650 ...... It will be priced above the bluebacker

chris

alphas
08-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Looks like it may be called this for the JDM 8-)

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_Ryoga.htm

Nice reel,strong drag too from what I have read on tackletour.If it is the same reel
that is...certainly look similar

birko
08-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Nice reel, not sure what style of fishing you are into but.... if you are not a troller (not that there is anything wrong with that....apparently) do you think you could cast this reel for 14 hours straight given its weight? In saying that it does look and read good. But I wouldnt go over the weight spec of a zillion personally. Have yet to catch a meter barra so maybe I dont rate drag as much as a factor as I should.
Cheers
Birko

NAGG
09-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Nice reel, not sure what style of fishing you are into but.... if you are not a troller (not that there is anything wrong with that....apparently) do you think you could cast this reel for 14 hours straight given its weight? In saying that it does look and read good. But I wouldnt go over the weight spec of a zillion personally. Have yet to catch a meter barra so maybe I dont rate drag as much as a factor as I should.
Cheers
Birko

Hi Birko ..... Howya keepin.

I'm with you on the weight ........ but heaps of casters use reels like Blacksheep , Bluebackers , Calcuttas & Lunas - specially in the timber with 50lb braid ( balanced with a nice light rod ..... it would be OK ..... I think its about 40g heavier than a Zillion)

Chris

TonyM
09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't say no if I got one for my birthday (hint hint) :P;D

They look like a very solid reel and would be great to have in your arsenal.

I love my zillion outfit (sooooo nice to use for hour on end), and recently mostly use it and occaisionally the spin stick, although still use my JDM CVZ with 50lb a lot in the sticks, as Steve mentioned it's nice to have an elephant gun with you when it's called for!

Cheers
Tony

Hardb8
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
14 hours straight?Dude,You must have forearms like Popeye.;D

BR65
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
B8, as you well know, impoundment barra fishos are either extremly stubborn, or extremly dumb mate, most of my days start with a 3am kick off, and finish well after dark, all casting, and Im still only a skinny runt, with maybe a slight lean to the RHS lol.
What happened to the mouse lure in your signature, that was gold?

NAGG
09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
B8, as you well know, impoundment barra fishos are either extremly stubborn, or extremly dumb mate, most of my days start with a 3am kick off, and finish well after dark, all casting, and Im still only a skinny runt, with maybe a slight lean to the RHS lol.
What happened to the mouse lure in your signature, that was gold?

Nah mate ......... IBD ( obsessive compulsive strain)

Hardb8
09-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I can't even stand up for 14 hours straight,Let alone cast competently for that ammount of time.:P

Change up the sig picture every now and then just for somethin different.How ya like this one? LOL :)

Alright I've got my kevlar vest on....

Does IBD stand for :- Inferior Bass Disease :o

Oh yeah.....I'm a waitin.:) :D ;D

NAGG
10-01-2009, 06:11 AM
I can't even stand up for 14 hours straight,Let alone cast competently for that ammount of time.:P

Change up the sig picture every now and then just for somethin different.How ya like this one? LOL :)

I'm yet to see anyone go weak at the knees , have sleepless nights , get depressed & end up a frootloop when someone mentions bass:2vrolijk_08: ........ let alone do 5000km round trips while seeking solace / treatment :wreck:
You stick to your little sniffle & leave the true disorders to us who seek BARRA!!!!!!;D

Bass .... phoooeeee

Chris

BR65
10-01-2009, 08:49 AM

No one said anythin bout casting competantly Rick ;)
Them bass have a certain something all about them thats totaly differant, but still the same as barra for sure, dunno if its the whole casting lure thing, the surroundings, something. Its just a mater of scaling down the gear to suit the application.
As a side note, did anyone see the bnib 250 blacksheep on ebay, start bid at $999?

birko
10-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Birko ..... Howya keepin.

I'm with you on the weight ........ but heaps of casters use reels like Blacksheep , Bluebackers , Calcuttas & Lunas - specially in the timber with 50lb braid ( balanced with a nice light rod ..... it would be OK ..... I think its about 40g heavier than a Zillion)

Chris

Hey Chris

Im well and still churning the water at teemburra and ensuring that the beers at Pinnacle Pub havent gone off.

On the abt all night session (all day as it turned out) it was 4am to 8pm, so 16 hours, given breaks, position moving etc, reckon you would have spent 12 to 14 out of the 16hrs casting. Dont know about you but it was the first time I have ever had a sore wrist from casting. Since I didnt catch any thing that session it sure as hell wasnt due to raising fish. An extra 40 grams over that period would have seen my wrist collapse. But as you and steve say, would be a real nice wepon to have around in the timber no doubt.

Hey hardb8, really enjoyed your kintchant report mate. Thought you would look at a bass now and wish for a sooty.

Anyway off to teemburra this arvo and I had better check the quality of that beer while Im up that way.

Cheers
Birko.

NAGG
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
No one said anythin bout casting competantly Rick ;)
Them bass have a certain something all about them thats totaly differant, but still the same as barra for sure, dunno if its the whole casting lure thing, the surroundings, something. Its just a mater of scaling down the gear to suit the application.
As a side note, did anyone see the bnib 250 blacksheep on ebay, start bid at $999?

Nice profit if he gets it ....... basically doubles his money - but how many would bid at that price :-/

Chris

NAGG
10-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Hey Chris

Im well and still churning the water at teemburra and ensuring that the beers at Pinnacle Pub havent gone off.

On the abt all night session (all day as it turned out) it was 4am to 8pm, so 16 hours, given breaks, position moving etc, reckon you would have spent 12 to 14 out of the 16hrs casting. Dont know about you but it was the first time I have ever had a sore wrist from casting. Since I didnt catch any thing that session it sure as hell wasnt due to raising fish. An extra 40 grams over that period would have seen my wrist collapse. But as you and steve say, would be a real nice wepon to have around in the timber no doubt.

Hey hardb8, really enjoyed your kintchant report mate. Thought you would look at a bass now and wish for a sooty.

Anyway off to teemburra this arvo and I had better check the quality of that beer while Im up that way.

Cheers
Birko.

I hope you are leaving those little tackers alone up the creek ::) Have you been catchin ?
Yeh ... that was a long day during the ABT ( I've actually stuffed my left elbow .... It was sore half way through the tour ...... & still only 50%) - but it doesn't stop me fishing:P
It is a nice reel ...... I'm not sure if I'd buy one or another Steez - I went the other direction (lightweight) ........ after the tour & the Sept trip - It proved faultless (specially if you used only 20 or 30lb braid ........ we'll see after our March trip > I'll make my mind up (I need 1 more reel)

Hope you catch heaps

Chris

Steve B
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Chris

Cheers
Birko.

Craig.....Aaaaah the pinicle pub. That was about the 'pinicle' of my ABT!! I probably shoul have just stayed there for the whole tour and skip faust and Awoonga!

Hope you have been keeping well. Good luck smacking them at Teemburra!!

Steve

Hardb8
10-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm yet to see anyone go weak at the knees , have sleepless nights , get depressed & end up a frootloop when someone mentions bass:2vrolijk_08: ........ let alone do 5000km round trips while seeking solace / treatment :wreck:
You stick to your little sniffle & leave the true disorders to us who seek BARRA!!!!!!;D

Bass .... phoooeeee

Chris

Yep..I'm on!...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I knew I'd get hit throwin that b8 round.;D ;D ;D

Yeah 65,
I seen the Sheep.I too think it's a bit much.

Hi Birko,
Glad you enjoyed the read.Thanks for the comments.Sootys are an awsome sportfish,And I really enjoyed crossing swords with them.But they are no Australian Bass.Just as the Bass is no Sooty.

I see each of the fish mentioned in this thread as being special in their own right,With their own characteristics,Appeal,And charm.I am very happy all three are different.And I will continue to persue all three with enthusiasim as my days roll on.

We are spoilt for targets up here.

Back to the topic of the thread......I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned here at Ausfish before that the Pluton will also be coming out in Daiwas' 100 size aswell.Should be a bit more friendly for the 14 hour crew,Due to the weight reduction that will accompany the smaller size.But the reel will be called :- Ryogu...Not sure on spelling.I'll do some digging.

Cheers. B8.;)

NAGG
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Yep..I'm on!...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I knew I'd get hit throwin that b8 round.;D ;D ;D

Yeah 65,
I seen the Sheep.I too think it's a bit much.

Hi Birko,
Glad you enjoyed the read.Thanks for the comments.Sootys are an awsome sportfish,And I really enjoyed crossing swords with them.But they are no Australian Bass.Just as the Bass is no Sooty.

I see each of the fish mentioned in this thread as being special in their own right,With their own characteristics,Appeal,And charm.I am very happy all three are different.And I will continue to persue all three with enthusiasim as my days roll on.

We are spoilt for targets up here.

Back to the topic of the thread......I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned here at Ausfish before that the Pluton will also be coming out in Daiwas' 100 size aswell.Should be a bit more friendly for the 14 hour crew,Due to the weight reduction that will accompany the smaller size.But the reel will be called :- Ryogu...Not sure on spelling.I'll do some digging.

Cheers. B8.;)

RYOGA! ...... where did you hear that it was coming out in the smaller size - That would be of interest ( I know there will be 2 gear ratios offered).

Chris

Hey .... I agree all our natives have their own appeal ....... I like catchin river bass on 4lb braid & sooties are always a good tugger - I need to land that first Toga though:P

chris

Hardb8
10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Daiwa Japan site.I'm crap with links.LOL.;D

Will see what I can find.;)

Hardb8
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
http://http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/information/ryoga/index.html

I only had a brief look a while back,Will try and translate a bit more now to piece together some info.

BR65
10-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Link wont open for me mate?
The sheep, about 500 to much I would suggest. Mind you, if he gets a thousand, Ive got one just like it in the cupboard that I reckon I could part with!
Got another jack over xmas on that little loomis stick I brought off you a while ago mate, out of the passage, its doing the job I brought it for very noicely.
cheers
brian

NAGG
10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Link wont open for me mate?
The sheep, about 500 to much I would suggest. Mind you, if he gets a thousand, Ive got one just like it in the cupboard that I reckon I could part with!
Got another jack over xmas on that little loomis stick I brought off you a while ago mate, out of the passage, its doing the job I brought it for very noicely.
cheers
brian

Get a grand & you could buy the Ryoga & match it to an Egrel :P

Chris

BR65
11-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Gong to look at a new egrell this morn as a matter of fact

wheezer
11-01-2009, 06:50 PM
i had heard from a source in the industry that the pluton would be coming out in a 100 size, but that does not appear to be the case. with mag z cast control it is obviously targetted as a casting reel, not a light jig reel like the blue backer, so hopefully daiwa wake up and release a 100 size...

NAGG
21-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Chew .... i reckon we will be looking at $600-$650 ...... It will be priced above the bluebacker

chris

Well there you go ....... Its available here now @ $599 ( damn it .... I was $1 out;) )

Chris

It is called the Pluton & not Ryogu

mikooh
21-01-2009, 02:51 PM
A magnesium version would be just the trick for impoundment barra.......Nice and light with plenty of balls.....A point casters dream!

Mick

Hardb8
21-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Been doin a little research.....

From what I can gather.This reel will be able to be customised with Daiwas' RCS parts to either be used for casting or jigging.

Two spools will be available,Casting (Red) and jigging (Blue).Again two handle layouts as well,One as a traditional two knob casting version (Swept carbon similar to the stock/factory design),And the other in a single knob counter weighted format.

I believe that the JDM version will be called Ryoga,And for the rest of the world Pluton.Unclear if any internal specs will change for the JDM reel.

Also unclear on other sizes (100 C,mon Daiwa).

Osaka will tell the tale....;)

Cheers. B8.

I GOT CRABS
26-01-2009, 07:26 AM
nice looking reel but I still cant go past the Abu Garcia 5600 for value for money.

NAGG
26-01-2009, 07:48 AM
nice looking reel but I still cant go past the Abu Garcia 5600 for value for money.

I would find it very easy to go past the Abu 5600 ;) ....... just a little speed hump on the way to a Pluton :P

Tackletour has the review on the Pluton now ........ it reads well with the criticism aimed at the weight ! ...... but sounds good

Chris

alphas
27-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Butted one on an rod at fishhead today...sure it is alittle heavier than a zillion but is a robust looking reel.The spool capacity is alot larger than my zillion P.E:-[

Cant wait to here for someone here that has tried one...

Awoonga
27-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Butted one on an rod at fishhead today...sure it is alittle heavier than a zillion but is a robust looking reel.The spool capacity is alot larger than my zillion P.E:-[

Cant wait to here for someone here that has tried one...

Spool capactity....??? whats the problem ...

wheezer
27-01-2009, 08:21 PM
agree 100% trev...the reel in its current size is completely overkill for any type of barra fishing...as much as i love my daiwas, especially new stuff, this will be one reel not making it into my lineup...if they release a 100 size on the other hand...

aussiebasser
01-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I bought one today from Fish Head at Viccy Point. This is a very sweet reel. Smother feel than my Blue Backers and Black Sheep. If that dude on Ebait gets $1200 for his, I might put mine up!!!!!!! Here's some comparo pics beside a 300 Blue Backer. I can't wait to try it out in PNG later in the year. It may be overkill for some barra fishing, but it has it's place in the Cod and Barra scene for those that try things a little bit different. These handles are not the standard ones. I upgraded it to a set of I`ZE Factory RCS jobbies.