PDA

View Full Version : Interesting one to fix

juju
07-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I made the mistake of getting out of bed this morning....plan wa sto slip out to mud, then have a look for some macks.....first bad sign was a swell in the creek down at sandgate....out into the bay and it was sloppy as....3000rpm max run...bang crash and so on (thinking to self i wonder how one of those barcrushers would run in this.....or a 575 haines/ccraft)...get over to mud try the top side for awhile...then down the bottom..few boats there....didnt see anything being caught and bit of moving going on....then i started to feel seasick (ive had a ear problem)...so bugger it come home and watch teh cricket......3000 rpm back in...pull the boat out and start to tie and fold things....undid the clips for teh rocket launcher whent to fold it down and almost lost it off the side of the boat...thats when i discoverd that she has broken a weld.....should be real interesting to fix...not much clearance for a big weld there.......the ss clips do a good job but..wasnt even a rattle out of it...

Tri N Hard
07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Might have to cut the old foot off and get a newy made up probably keep on crack if u just weld it.

juju
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Thats what i was thing too....its a a pin and socket hinge as well just to make it a bit more tricky....i was thinking new baseplate as well

Angla
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I would try a weld job first and then keep an eye on it. I would not try a dadgy home weld but a more professional job.

Chris

foxx510
07-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah I'd give it a weld first, hard to say but it looks a bit like it has just not penetrated well.

Jabba_
07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I would try a weld job first and then keep an eye on it. I would not try a dadgy home weld but a more professional job.

Chris

I agree... But get it welded with a Tig welder, not a Mig welder... A Tig gets a much deeper penetrating and stronger weld....... and there neater

tunaticer
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
My eyes must be shot, I can not see a cracked weld there. I can see a spacer plate between the foot and the gunnel. Is this where you are finding the problem?

Under the gunnel you should have a plate the same as the spacer plate with bolts right through it for a solid mount, that sandwiches tightly together the whole assembly. The toggle latch on the other end to me is a dodgy bit waiting for failure.