PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel Honda 25 4st

foxx510
06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
The old man washed the boat after unplugging the fuel hose last night, and today took it out and we reckon he's accidentally squirted water in the fuel tank outlet or sat the end of the hose in the water in the bottom of the boat. Was running really rough. I took it for a quick spin and it seemed to get better and was pretty much fine after a few runs. So we've drained the carbs repeatedly until no more water is showing up, blown the filter out, drained fuel through the main hose, and it still seems to be missing a bit here at home.

Any thoughts as to where more water could be hiding? Seems not to make any difference if the top plug cap is removed, but hardly runs if either of the lower two are removed. Plug looked kinda dry, but was pretty warm by that stage so might have just been evaporating. Hard to tell if it's actually crook when it's not under load, the thing has never idled that smoothly really.

So, should I put some metho in the tank and just take it for a good run? If so, how much in the tank? Or is there a better product to use?

Thanks.

pojo
06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
One cup of metho to a full tank works for me

foxx510
06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Ta. I've also just been looking at a product called Fuel Doctors. Might be even better than metho.

Gave it another quick run then, 1 cyl is definitely still dropping in and out.

cormorant
06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Switch plugs and see if the problem moves with the plug.

If it does you know it is a plug

Check for spark on the top pot with plug out and resting against head turn motor over. You should have spark if not you have a lead or ignition issue.

You can also check the spark roughly if you have a car timing light with a inductive clip. Clip it over each plug lead one after the other and it should show if any spark is present when motor is running.

Do a compression check while plug is out.

Check carby linkages and check top carby doesn't have choke stuck on if it is a old butterfly choke. Would have expected wet plug.

You can prove if it is the top carby not delivering fuel if when the motor is running you slowly squirt fuel into teh inlet then you will feel it even out and that way at least you know spark and ignition are good and can then sort carby out in case it has stuck float or such.

Be careful with metho as it is same as ethanol so not much should be required and you can just empty the tank into the car and flush with half a cup of metho if there is water then refill with a few litres and a couple of table spoons of metho

Drain carbies

Run that through and then refil tank.

foxx510
06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Yep must try switching plugs. It was sparking but looked a little weak, although no different to other cylinders. Carb seems to be getting fuel fine as plenty was coming out of bowl drain as we were flushing for water. Guessing it's just residual water hanging around somewhere as motor has only done 30-40 hours so most bits should be pretty healthy(it is a Honda after all ;-) ). Might go for the fuel doctors stuff if metho is questionable re plastic parts. Thanks.

Noelm
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
kind of thinking the water in the fuel is just coincidence, (if indeed that's what the problem is) you would need to be pretty wild with the hose to get water in the fuel connector end and down the hose into the tank, even dangling the hose in water will not get water in the hose, I think you may be guessing about something that is a very remote possibility at best, so lets start again, you are certain there is water in tank?? if so, it was probably there before and that needs to be cleaned out first (and not by a bottle of Metho) , then all filters need to be drained or replaced, do not pull the carbies to bits untill you are positive they need it! then you say the top plug does not make a difference when removed! that does not sound very much like water to me! you may be chasing two problems here now, try a complete remote tank and hose with fresh fuel, check the Motor filter (if fitted) before you start it and see how it goes.

foxx510
06-01-2009, 02:11 PM
We definitely got some water from the carb drains. Bugger all but it was there. I remember when I put the tank away there was a small amount of water sitting in the connector, but being as tired as I was and thinking well maybe it's just fuel I just shook what I could out and put the tank away.

Also though I noticed the old man had left the loose end dangling in the water in the bottom of the boat. So maybe only 5ml got in there, and we got only a few ml from the carbs.

Forgot all about it today and so did he until the motor started running shit and he called me to come down and have a look. He said "maybe it's water I got some on the connectors when I was washing it yesterday".

But yes, could be coincidental. Felt just like a car I've driven that had water in the tank though. Full power coming and going, intermittent dropping of a cylinder.

I've given it another run and the other cylinder is getting better, but still dropping out here and there. Will try a fuel doctors treatment in the tank and give it a run when the wind stops and if that doesn't clear it up I'll start investigating further.

Thanks for the help.

foxx510
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Looks like it's just a crook plug, problem moves with moving of plug. Whether it was due to the water or not we will never know. Had another look at fuel fittings and as yep you'd struggle to get it to hold 2ml of water.

Def got some from carb bowls though, I know what it looks like from days of checking aircraft tanks and from seeing the Saab tank remnants after a dodgy load from the servo.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

cormorant
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
With ethanol fuels and even water dissolved in normal fuel it is not hard to end up with water in carby bowls and it just accumulates as well. It drops with temperature change out of the fuel or even settling vibration on transport or when just left standing.

Good to see it was a simple one.

C

PS can still have water in bowl and fuel and a clogged jet in carby so it won't deliver fuel just so you know for the future.

Keep a record of top speed as some ethanol fuels and bad fuel are oxdising or eating jets causing pitting over a long period and you will gradually get a performance drop - same as a plug fouls or starts to die so you may have a warning.

foxx510
06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Might even help the idle too which was never that great. Just so I don't get ripped off, anyone bought an NKG DR7EA lately? (it was a Denso plug that failed, so will try the NGK equiv)

Spaniard_King
06-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Foxx510.

Done 2 honda carby services in the last 2 days.. 1 x 15hp and 1 x 30hp.. both from congealled water in the carby.. the water turns to gelly blocking the low speed tube.

DR7EA plugs are $3.96 if ya buy them from me :)

you need an 18mm deep throat socket to change the plug

foxx510
06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks Garry, thankfully Bursons has them at $4.15 so I don't have to deal with the grumpy local Honda dealer down here. Maybe a good thing that we drained the carbs, even if it was just a coincidence and the plug just failed of it's own accord.

It was a somewhat doomed fishing trip it seems, I hit a pothole towing the boat to the ramp and whacked all the rollers and guides out of place, then the wind blew up and the motor crapped out. But that's fishing.... ;-)

Spaniard_King
13-01-2009, 07:34 AM
fox.. how did you go?? get it sorted

foxx510
13-01-2009, 07:45 AM
It appears to be sorted with the new plugs, but we are yet to give it a water test. It seems that we live in the windiest place on earth....

Thanks, will let you know when it's been for a run.

BaitThrower
14-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Do get yourslef a bottle of Fuel Doctor though. Great for dispersing the water and contaminants in the fuel system into micro-particles that pass harmlessly through the system. Gives the fuel lines a good clean out too.

Been using it in car and boat for a good year or two now... Both have performed very well when Fuel Doctor used in the tank. Good product. Gets my vote!

foxx510
19-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Motor ran fine today, idle seems more consistent and starting is a bit easier. So probably wasn't caused by water, just a failing plug, but who knows. Caught a few pinkies too. Thanks for the help guys.