PDA

View Full Version : trailer spares

mik01
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
while I'm all excited and keen to replace the springs on the trailer (and the wiring too), I thought I might also replace a couple of the brackets for wobble rollers that are badly corroded.

wondering where I would go to get all the right gear (recommendations please), and is Gal the best (only) option to replace these components?

overall, the axle looks solid (wrapped in black rubber by the looks) so I just thought the critical parts like the brackets for the wobble rollers should be replaced, as well as springs and the u bolts etc that holds them on...

any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Mick

mik01
05-01-2009, 09:25 PM
some pics - do you think the springs are salveagable? ie grind them off and denso tape or just get rid of them?

cheers

Moonlighter
05-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Mick

I reckon replace the lot!

Many members of my boating/fishing club including myself have found the best range and cheapest place for axels, springs, brackets, wheels, rollers, brakes, lights and other boat and general trailer parts is down at Beenliegh - Active Fabrications, Logan River Rd -they're in the book. Cash only, no cards or cheques. Apparently they supply many of the manufacturers with bits.

ML

Bros
05-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Springs are OK just need a cleanup. I would be more worried by the RHS where the front shackle support is, it doesn't look too good to me.

mik01
05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Springs are OK just need a cleanup. I would be more worried by the RHS where the front shackle support is, it doesn't look too good to me.

thanks - yeah I'm not sure how bad it is - see another pic.
will have to get under and have a good look at it

Bros
05-01-2009, 09:55 PM
thanks - yeah I'm not sure how bad it is - see another pic.
will have to get under and have a good look at it

I wouldn't worry about it I would replace it and the have that section regalvanized as it is the bit keeping your trailer off the road.It would be a simple job to replace it with a new bit.

When I say replace it I mean the whole lot with new RHS as to fix that bit a lot of the galvanizers back away from galvanizing old stuff but if they do just replace that small bit then galvanize it.

oldboot
05-01-2009, 09:58 PM
All trailer spares at salsbury is a good supplier too.

If you have OXY descaling the rusty bits with an oxy flame is very effective.
Heat the rusty area up with the flame....not too hot.... the rust dries up and falls off...... wire brush and flame again....very effective and gets the rust out of the pits.....once it is bright wipe over with solvent..... let it dray and warm it up again..... paint ip with cold gal or such while still warm and dry.

Galmet Duragal is great stuff. zink paint.

cheers

Blackened
06-01-2009, 08:21 AM
G'day

When finished painting the areas, finish up with a coating of tectyl 506

Dave