PDA

View Full Version : Cheap pressure washer for trailer - which one?

foxx510
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Thinking about a cheap pressure washer to get more salt off the trailer with less water. Are any better than others? Are the cheap ones even going to last more than 6 months? Looking at a basic karcher most likely, Bunnings have one for $158, but it's probably plastic junk, right? Would then be able to use the water from flushing motor to wash trailer, and any rainwater collected. Thanks.

danny412
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Ive got a Karcher from Bunnings,$100.00, Does the boat, the cars (very lightly) the drive way and the house. Had it for nearly a year, no probs, just dont run it flat out for hours and it will last.

Chimo
05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Also I was told to put a plastic tie on the trigger to keep it on all the time and use the power switch to turn it on and off.

The salesman said the plastic pumps (especially) tend to fail if you use the trigger due to shock loads / water hammer.

Also make sure you clean the inlet filter screen often and if the cheap one you get doesnt come with one its worth adding a filter to the inlet line.

Mines a couple of years old and I use the power switch; so far so good.

Cheers
Chimo

foxx510
05-01-2009, 03:41 PM
What model Karchers do you guys have? Those appealed to me because of their ability to draw water from a bucket, could be handy.

The water hammer thing makes sense, good tip.

Roughasguts
05-01-2009, 03:42 PM
You really need hot water to get salt off.
So find one with a brass or Alloy pump, and one you can stick in a bucket of Hot water and pump straight out from that.

Roughasguts
05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Actually mines not a Karcher. I bought mine cause of the 1750 Psi and the 7 meter hose.

foxx510
05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
The GMC one has an alloy pump, but apparently cant draw from a bucket. Undecided, might just be easier to take it to the car wash every so often.

Roughasguts
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
You could drill a hole in a plastic container and stick a hose fitting in there.
Then all you have to do is fill the container with hot water and lift it up a few feet for pressure to the pump.

foxx510
05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
The GMC one says 40deg water max, same as the Karchers. Maybe it's not aluminium after all??

Heath
05-01-2009, 04:11 PM
The cheaper Karcher will be fine, even with an extension hose.
I can relate to the water hammer. It split the 90 deg connector on the outlet. But that was after the first few uses. Been well over 12 months now & still going strong. Does the boat, house driveway etc no probs & the extension hose is a must I reckon.

trueblue
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
go for the upgraded model of karcher

I got the $200 one, and it has a longer hose, and has three pressure settings

griz066
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
My kids bought me a bosch 4 xmas last year and no probs yet

foxx510
05-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Might go see what Bunnings are flogging. Thanks guys.

goat boy
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
You can pick up a base model Karcher (Winner 10 model) for $99 (Bunnings or Stratco). Has the ability to draw water or detergent from a bucket (still has to be connected to a hose as well though) and effectively has 2 pressure settings (remove the tip off the gun for normal hose-like pressure). I just replaced my old Karcher after about 6 or 7 years of faithful service.

ronnien
06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
if you want to run hot water through it, but only have a hose connection than hook it up to the hot water tap you use for your washing machine.

ron.

poundalead
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I had the Bosch one from Bunnings and it was absolute rubbish. I now have had the cheap Karcher (Winner 10) for more than 12 months works a treat. I had the Bosch repaired twice it would work for a while and not work at all for some unknown reason. Buy the Karcher but I would step up a model and spend around $200.

Cheers Benny

squizzytaylor
07-01-2009, 07:08 AM
having played with these things for years through work, here are a few tips.

1) Always screen (filter) the water entering the pressure washer and if possible do not use bore or dirty tank water as the crap that sediments in the water does not compress well and will stuff the piston, a good quality inline screen costs about $10.00.

2) Buy a metal pump model preferably italian made, avoid the "real cheap" asian made units. most bosch, k'archer etc are italian manufactured.

3) The psi rating is only half the equation, look at the litre per minute rating as well, a 2000psi pressure washer that only moves 3 litres per minute wouldnt move sand but a 1000psi unit spraying 12 litres per minute would rip your toes clean off.

A good starting point is a unit of around 1400-1900 psi (85-100 bar)
Using around 5 litres per minute, this would be suitable for trailer and boat cleaning and most units will come with a "turbo" or power lance and a softer lance for car washing. I have a Bosch unit that is 7 years old now and is still going strong, I also have a Gerni Hot pressure washer and go for the little unit 9 times out of 10 and have used it for a full driveway clean and paver clean in one hit (around 80 square metres) just give them a rest every 10-15 minutes to cool the pump down. Expect to pay around $200-300 for a unit that will last years, expect a $100 unit to last this summer (also look at the warranty).

Geoff

garman1
07-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I used to sell karchers and what geoff said is spot on.................. had people say bugger spending an extra 10 bucks for the filter (doh)

A $100 machine won't clean your entire boat,driveway,2 cars and a dog in one go. Again as Geoff said do it in spurts of 10 mins etc................

I also heard about shutting off the machine at the switch rather than letting go of the trigger at the lance makes them last longer, I had heaps of customers mention it, but any karcher rep I asked denied it.......... I think I will cable tie mine up and turn it off at the switch ......

Main points to keep in mind, work out what you want it to do with it, how much dosh you want to spend, then how fast do you want to do it in..................ie. a 100 dollar machine won't cut it at doing driveways commercially, obviously and you wouldn't spend 1000 dollars to wash your boat once a month either(although the machine would last an entire lifetime)

Most times you need to use a bit of common sense really, all machines are built to a price...................... not quality

Bruce_Bogtrotter
07-01-2009, 10:49 AM

1) Always screen (filter) the water entering the pressure washer and if possible do not use bore or dirty tank water as the crap that sediments in the water does not compress well and will stuff the piston, a good quality inline screen costs about $10.00.

2) Buy a metal pump model preferably italian made, avoid the "real cheap" asian made units. most bosch, k'archer etc are italian manufactured.

3) The psi rating is only half the equation, look at the litre per minute rating as well, a 2000psi pressure washer that only moves 3 litres per minute wouldnt move sand but a 1000psi unit spraying 12 litres per minute would rip your toes clean off.

Using around 5 litres per minute, this would be suitable for trailer and boat cleaning and most units will come with a "turbo" or power lance and a softer lance for car washing. I have a Bosch unit that is 7 years old now and is still going strong, I also have a Gerni Hot pressure washer and go for the little unit 9 times out of 10 and have used it for a full driveway clean and paver clean in one hit (around 80 square metres) just give them a rest every 10-15 minutes to cool the pump down. Expect to pay around $200-300 for a unit that will last years, expect a $100 unit to last this summer (also look at the warranty).

Geoff

all good advice..
What model Bosch do you have???

Jabba_
07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

Geoff
Thanks Geof...
Bassed on your advice, I went out this morning and bought a Bosch 115 for $360.. The power lance is great and rips off the dirt and sand from under the Navara,,, it looks new again...
Cant wait till I use it on the boat...

Chimo
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Careful on the boat Jabba, it will take the yellow paint off.

Seriously though I got a bit keen on mine once and it ripped the stencil lines off where I got too close.

Was good getting the crap off after a few days too long in the GC canal water.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Hows the jack plate going? (Ian mentioned it to me)

Jabba_
07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Careful on the boat Jabba, it will take the yellow paint off.

Seriously though I got a bit keen on mine once and it ripped the stencil lines off where I got too close.

Was good getting the crap off after a few days too long in the GC canal water.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Hows the jack plate going? (Ian mentioned it to me)

It's Yellow gel-coat, so it will be okly dokly,,, but as for the Anti-foul, let me at it...

The jack plate is going very good... Ian lifted the motor 35mm.. At first I thought I was going to get a lot off prop blow out in big choppy swell, but it actually working really good... I do need to upgrade my prop to a 22" or 23" (currently running a 21" @ 5900) as I am so close to the rev limiter... And I picked up 2mph..

squizzytaylor
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks Geof...
Bassed on your advice, I went out this morning and bought a Bosch 115 for $360.. The power lance is great and rips off the dirt and sand from under the Navara,,, it looks new again...
Cant wait till I use it on the boat...

Mine is called an AHR1000 but may not be current as it so old.

GT

QuinnyDory
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I have the "Winner" 10 also. Has been going strong for a few years now. Not massive pressure but what can you expect for that price.