PDA

View Full Version : Which boat yard to sell through consignment??

keen_angler
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi All, I am in the process of selling my boat and would like your opinions on which boat yard to take the boat to sell through consignment

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers.

Mr__Bean
05-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Where are you?

- Darren

keen_angler
05-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Where are you?

- Darren

I knew I forgot something, I am southside of Brisbane

Blackened
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
G'day

John Crawford Marine - Tingalpa are very reputable

Dave

Saltboy
05-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi

Why not sell it yourself and don't waste some your "hard earned" away to a third party ?
There are plenty of avenues to sell items out there, including this site.

Dave

jeffrey_h
05-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I say the same, saw a boat for sale on general classifies, when I rang he had just put it in a yard and they added $4,000.00 to his price.

Jeremy
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I'll take 10% of your sale price if your are looking for someone to offload some cash onto.

Jeremy

chevyJ
05-01-2009, 10:08 PM
G'day

John Crawford Marine - Tingalpa are very reputable

Dave

For the seller john is good but for the buyer mmmmmm well I had cash to pay for a boat that he own and wasn't on consinment and I had no trade in just straight cash. Asked if he would do a better deal and was told that he only had a $200 margin and that's it. Mate that is crap. I hate sales man that lie. And that happened today. Will be looking else where that actually want to make a deal. Just make sure where you sell it that they want to actual sell it. It's a shame as $500 off and I would of bought it.

Mindi
06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
I would only go consignment as a last resort. Too many stories here of dealers selling boats and not telling the owner (do a search) ....but a friend saying that the boat was seen on the water etc...when dealer challenged it was only missing because "out on a test run"..
Try Trading Post, or Boatpoint.com.au, or this forum...TP a bitclumsy to use online but has most sellers/buyers.

skipalong
06-01-2009, 06:43 AM
yeah my mate had his boat on consignment on the southside and he hasnt sold it and been 4 months he was asking for 45k but when he saw it advertised it was up for 52k and is not worth that much, they put heaps on it

CUNNING STUNT
06-01-2009, 06:44 AM
These dealer will tell you anything to get your boat in their yard; how they'll have it sold in a week and all that shit. However, once thew boat goes in, that's where the friendliness stops. The boat will just sit there unwashed and not looked after with God-knows-who crawling all over it doing God-knows-what to it. And, when you've finally had enough of boat salesmans' bullshit and go to get your boat back, you will always have to pay some sort of fee and you can bet your bottom dollar that, when you arrive to pick it up, it's not ready to go and still wedged in amongst all the other boats and they always just had someone on this boat. When the salesman starts his speel about how he'll sell this boat in a week and make a dollar out of it for himself, tell him that, if he's that confident of selling the boat, he can but it off you outright and make even more money for himself; trust me, they all baulk at that. Sell the thing yourself; yes, it's a bit more mucking around with TYRE-KICKERS and the like (gotta love them!), but you'll come out with a few more dollars in the end.

Cheers,
NICK.

Mindi
06-01-2009, 06:56 AM
These dealer will tell you anything to get your boat in their yard; how they'll have it sold in a week and all that shit. However, once thew boat goes in, that's where the friendliness stops. The boat will just sit there unwashed and not looked after with God-knows-who crawling all over it doing God-knows-what to it. And, when you've finally had enough of boat salesmans' bullshit and go to get your boat back, you will always have to pay some sort of fee and you can bet your bottom dollar that, when you arrive to pick it up, it's not ready to go and still wedged in amongst all the other boats and they always just had someone on this boat. When the salesman starts his speel about how he'll sell this boat in a week and make a dollar out of it for himself, tell him that, if he's that confident of selling the boat, he can but it off you outright and make even more money for himself; trust me, they all baulk at that. Sell the thing yourself; yes, it's a bit more mucking around with TYRE-KICKERS and the like (gotta love them!), but you'll come out with a few more dollars in the end.

Cheers,
NICK.

Plus the risk this year of the dealer going broke and then you asking the receiver for your boat...?..if it happens to have been sold "just before you got there" good luck getting the cash.

keen_angler
06-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks all, I have been trying to sell it myself, and at a price I think is reasonable from the investigation that I have done, I have droped the price $2k to get a sale, I am not making anything from the sale but I don't won't to give it away. I have it advertised on the trading post and on this site with not much luck.

Am I still asking to much http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=99

Cheers, Nick

robersl
06-01-2009, 07:06 AM
i have also heard stories like this i was looking at a bluefin 2nd hand up the coast for 18k phoned just before i went to see the guy and he said he had put it in a yard at springwood i looked up the sight on the internet was advertised for 23k, 4 weeks later the guy rang me to ask if i was still interested told him no he said thats ok but i got the boat back and all the wiring is stuffed they left it out in the rain and weather and half full of water, so that put me off ever putting a boat on consignment when you advertise in the trading post you normally get 3 or 4 dealers ringing you to put it in there yard, don,t do it

shane

shane

Noelm
06-01-2009, 08:02 AM
actually to accept of Boat on consignment is a very complicated process, most just stick it in the yard and hope for the best, but to do it "by the book" is very tedious and complicated, but well worth it if something does go belly up while the Boat is in the yard.

Chris Ryan
06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Nick that is a good looking boat, wish I had the coin to look further than a pic.

However with the start of an influx of 2nd hand boats now happening due to the economic downturn and construction and mining redundancies kicking in, there will be a heap of competition for the sale and it will become a buyers market.

Good luck.

goldfish
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
if i could add it "is a buyeres market"
i think you will have to compete with a lot of other people selling thier boats in all price ranges & the boat yards will also have to compete. which means boats will sell for less than what they were worth a year ago. in short if your boat was worth 20k a year ago its probally only going to sell for 15k now wether at your house or in a yard.
just my 2 cents
cheers
rick

Mindi
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks all, I have been trying to sell it myself, and at a price I think is reasonable from the investigation that I have done, I have droped the price $2k to get a sale, I am not making anything from the sale but I don't won't to give it away. I have it advertised on the trading post and on this site with not much luck.

Am I still asking to much http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=99

Cheers, Nick

Nick

I watch the second hand market around 20K and I dont think you are asking too much at all...I would have priced it at 19-20K...the problem is lack of buyers not the boat and its price. If you can do so the best approach would be to sit and wait.

robersl
06-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Looking at the photo and the age of the boat and what comes with it you are on the money at $17.500 i would not go less, i sold a 2000 quintrex 4.75m caprice for $18k in april 08 and a bluefin 4.5m 50 4stroke 2005 model in sept for 18,500 it only takes 1 person to look ansd try it that is the key give them a test run

shane