PDA

View Full Version : Solo boat retrieves in high current

the gecko
05-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Ive got a 4.1 Allycraft and a trailer with skids. Some of these new ramps Im using have a lot of current, making the retrieve process a bit difficult when youre on your own.The main drama seems to be getting the boat onto the first centre roller. This involves a series of winching an inch, then pulling the pointy end by hand, walk back to the winch for another inch, and so on about 5 times, all while the current pushes the blunt end about. As you can tell, Im not used to dealing with 2-3 mt tides.

What does everyone else do?

I heard one member say he uses a second guy rope attached to the rear of the boat. Is this the answer, or should I just learn to drive the boat onto the trailer? When you drive on, how do you know how deep to back the trailer?

cheers
Andrew

big one
05-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Mate I have a 4.5m Brooker, and solo retrieves are common practice to me. The trick that I find is to have a rope tied to the bow (front) of the boat. You pull the nose up to the first roller, hold it there while walking up to the winch by the rope, then start winching. The back of the boat may swing around a bit, but as long as the front of the boat is on the first roller, it usually self centers itself the more you winch up. Once the cable is tight, you can throw the rope back over into the boat. Hope this helps. If anyone else has a better idea, I to would like to hear about it.

Scott nthQld
05-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Andrew, Having to lauch/retrieve is 2m plus tides takes a bit practise, but easy once you get used to it. I self launch and retrieve a 4.8m quintrex with ease, and as you say, getting it on the first roller is the hardest part.

What I do is hold the nose of the boat up tight you the first roller, and once the winch cable is hooked on, hold the cable tight from the boat to hold the nose in position and take up all the slack. even if the back of the boat moves a bit, as you winch it up it will straighten itslef up, but once you've got the nose up and there is enough of the boat on the trailer to stop it moving, walk down and check it out, you might need to giv it a bit of a push to one side or another and then winch all the way up. If at the beginning the stern moves too far to the right/left, you may need to swing it back around a bit.

Just remember to take you time, don't worry about anyone else waiting to use the ramp, you just make sure the boat goes on the trailer properly. If they have a whinge tell them to give you a hand or bugger off.

Chris Ryan
05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Patience grasshopper.

Taking your time is the key, it was for my 18 footer half cab I had. Rush it and off it goes to re-do again.

I had to help a bloke down at the Pinkenba ramp the other week (I duck off there for lunch some days) and he had his tinny and 2 kids. The wind and current were against the poor bugger and his kids were too small to help. I ended up winding the boat up for him while he got it square, he then backed the trailer down a little more into the water (with me standing on the drawbar so I didn't get wet) to make it easier. His issue was he was rushing so he could get the kids in the car and get home.

Marky Mark
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
If you can drive on I'd go for that, so much easier than mucking around with ropes and winches. As for depth, you need to work out how much skid to have under water and how much above, when I drive my 5.3m platey on I try to have the rear rollers about 100mm under, this translates to having the tailgate of the ute just above the waterline (important so I can keep my ugg boots dry in winter!). Try finding the point where the hull slips easily off the trailer and then check how much water you have under the transom at this point. If your not comfy or it's not possible to drive on then there's no real short cut from what the boys have mentioned. My old boat, a 4.4m savage, had a funny old home made trailer and needed to be winched on, I did exactly what big one and Scott suggested, rope, tight onto first roller etc.

Kleyny
05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
My boat is 4.6m tinny with almost a metre of side. so i have the current an wind to condend with.
I just angle the boat trailer in the way of the bum of the boat will go.
I also hold the nose of the boat on the first roller with the winch rope then walk up the trailer.
I do also plan on getting a self-centering roller. (But its not realy required its just a helping hand)

neil

gunna
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I've used the rope around the rear bollard when retrieving in really bad wind/current. It make the process a hell of a lot easier. Don't try to drive on unless the trailer is designed for it.

the gecko
05-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't try to drive on unless the trailer is designed for it.

Why not? Whats the main danger?

'Designed for it' - how do you know if its designed for it?

Thanks

Andrew

adam_71
05-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I was having trouble for a while when I first got my boat. I finally worked out I was putting the trailer in too deep, allowing the boat to float around at the back and get off centre. I've found that if I let the rollers do their job it rarely goes wrong. Even if it starts off a bit crooked, the rollers seem to centre it as it pulls on.

bassfan
05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Gecko, yes it can be a challenge in strong wind and/or tidal conditions and as previously said getting it centered onto the first roller is the key. I personally drive my 4.3 tinny on 99% of the time, and can usually get it on straight first or second go when conditions are good, but sometimes it takes a few attempts in tough conditions. I sink the trailer so the wheels are half submerged, any more than that and the boat floats around on the trailer. As you approach the trailer slip your motor in and out of gear so as to maintain control & steering but not come in too fast, as you do this line up your bow with the first roller taking into account wind & tide. You can generally feel when it's sliding up the rollers straight and try to get it close to or touching the winch roller. At this stage, leave it in gear at moderate revs, lock the steering in that position (mine is tiller steer with a tensioner), then go forward, lean over the bow & clip on your hook, wind up the winch and set the ratchet. You can then cut and tilt your motor before climbing over the bow onto the trailer and generally keep your feet dry. Very important to attach your safety chain before pulling it up the ramp, as sometimes ratchets let go and your boat could slide off onto the concrete ramp.
I've been thinking of replacing my first double roller setup, with a more pronounced V roller-setup which should help centre the boat easily in any conditions. Hope this is of some help.

Bassfan

NAGG
05-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Andrew ...... if you have a trailer that allows you to drive the boat on ...... then learn to do so !

Basically you drive against the current at 45 Deg ....... Get the nose onto the trailer ( which should be around the centre) .......... As the tail swings with the tide & straightens the boat ......... you accelerate forward & onto the bow roller.

this procedure is simple with a little practice. ( i handle my boat on my own in all sorts of conditions)

I hate to say it ..... but winching is for mugs (specially in flowing currents or strong winds) & if only people took time to set there trailer up properly & learnt to drive their boat on ........ things would be a lot more pleasant at the boat ramps
8-)

Chris

bigjimg
05-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Gidday Andrew
Take off the keel roller and replace with two single wobble rollers set approx 125mm apart.Then place a rope over the the crucifix which is long enough to reach your winch with you hanging onto it.All you have to do then is place the bow into the gap between the rollers which will hold the bow,then holding it in there with the rope in your hand as you proceed to the winch post.Did this method for four years in all weather conditions with a 4.2 m tinnie.At no time did it misbehave to the point where i needed help.Of course everyones situation is different but at least the bow of your boat will be held in place no mattrer what.Hope this helps.Jim

NAGG
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I forgot to mention

Do not sink the trailer too deep ..... you need to have the skids or rear rollers part of the way out of the water so the boat does not float over them ..... making it difficult to guide

Chris

mookyandlumpy
05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
just angle the boat trailer in the way of the bum of the boat will go

i have a 4.2 tinnie , this is what i do as well helps alot as your not fighting it as much.
i try to get the trailer deep enough so the boat is resting on the first roller and the skids, i also have a rope tied to the front so i can hold it on the first roller and skids while im whinching the slack out of the whinch rope and

dont do this \/\/\/\/
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HJBFZJXZLFo&feature=related

Scott nthQld
05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Andrew ...... if you have a trailer that allows you to drive the boat on ...... then learn to do so !

Basically you drive against the current at 45 Deg ....... Get the nose onto the trailer ( which should be around the centre) .......... As the tail swings with the tide & straightens the boat ......... you accelerate forward & onto the bow roller.

this procedure is simple with a little practice. ( i handle my boat on my own in all sorts of conditions)

I hate to say it ..... but winching is for mugs (specially in flowing currents or strong winds) & if only people took time to set there trailer up properly & learnt to drive their boat on ........ things would be a lot more pleasant at the boat ramps
8-)

Chris

Idunno Chris, with a 2 speed winch, I can get my boat up in a matter of seconds, using the 1:1 cog. Plus I think by yourself winching is safer as you don't leave the boat unsecured, what would happen if it rolled off the trailer while you were trying to hook the winch up? In my area, with the influx of stingers this time of year as well as other biteys that are around, I'll stick to my winch thanks.

oldboot
05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
I am surprised how many people do not have a nose or tail rope secured to their boat.

both can make thigs much easier by yourself.

If you only have a small boat, driving on simply isnt practical...... even if my trailer was designed for drive on I would have to back the car half way into the water to get the trailer far enough in...... then without motorised tilt and trim the whole thing becomes completly impossible.

cheers

MyEscape
06-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Well 2-3 metre tides aren't big compared with what we deal with around Mackay. I usually fish by myself at Sarina and probably have to admit to having a couple of problems from time to time when retrieving the boat (4.35 Seajay).

I do not drive on as I have decided not to dunk the trailer bearings. Most of the trailer is above the water level.

When I pullout the cable I only give enough to hook up the boat so the boat rests on the lower roller. Wind it up a little, straighten the boat if necessary,then continue winding.

We have a lot of cross current at Sarina inlet, combined with the tide and the wind normally adds up to an interesting retrieval, but so far I haven't had too many issues as long as not too much cable is used. That's where you can have a problem.

Steve

skipalong
06-01-2009, 06:34 AM
a rope tied to the front would hold it in place i would think and then tied off while you hook up the cable to the boat

white patch
06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
if you make up a combined rope and very strong rubber bungee connection which you have to stretch to connect the bow eye to the winch post that will hold the bow on the rollers while you connect the winch. Its like having an extra person.

NAGG
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Idunno Chris, with a 2 speed winch, I can get my boat up in a matter of seconds, using the 1:1 cog. Plus I think by yourself winching is safer as you don't leave the boat unsecured, what would happen if it rolled off the trailer while you were trying to hook the winch up? In my area, with the influx of stingers this time of year as well as other biteys that are around, I'll stick to my winch thanks.

Scott ...... I dont leave my boat
As I drive up & make contact with the post roller ........ I leave the motor going - walk up the front lean over & hook on the winch cable (tighten it)* & put on the safety chain ......... go back to the helm & turn the motor off ....... Hop over the front onto the draw bar ...... often I dont even get my feet wet8-)
Last week at Hawkes nest ...... I really saw the struggle that people were having in a strong cross current & wind ........ I felt for them

Chris

goldfish
06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
drive on is by far the easiest, quickest & safest way for me both with the sea ray & the ski boat. put your trailer far enough in the water (don't worry about wet berrings yes they don't last as long but they only cost $20 every 2 years or so) so as your boat can float & touch the skids. drive boat on till it is held by the skids then when straight power up till you touch your front holding block. (if need be leave in gear whily you lean over the bow & attach safty chain & winch. turn off & raise motor. climb out over the bow onto the draw bar then to car. no bities & only wet toes. if you find a quiet boat ramp & ebbing tides & practice it won't take long to learn then you can launch & retrieve any boat in any coniditions by yourself quickly & safely..
ps take the time to practise & learn & you will enjoy your trips much more as it is 1 worry that you will never experance again.
alse self centering spring rollers are a good help too but not nessarry.
cheers
rick

oldboot
06-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Regardess of what method you use, that is the point you have to have a method or a system.

There are so many out there who even tough they have put there boat in and out plenty... still have not thaught about it and develeoped a system that allows for the problems.

I always let the boat out with the winch cable connected and the bow rope in my hand.

when the boat is in the water I disconnect and hook the winch rope to the rear roller.

The winch rope is then always right where i need it when I pull out.

This alone solves soo many problems.

Soo many boat trailers are poorly set up and the boat will not slide on or off smoothy........ so drive on is out of the question.

If a bloke has to fight to get his boat off, how much trouble is he in when he wants to get it back on.

A have to agree that a pair of wobble rollers at the back are a great thing.....I have both wobble rollers and the original centre roller.

cheers

Tri N Hard
07-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Can u organize someone with a lot of experience to go with u to show u some tips especialy driving on for the first time if your trailer is no setup right ie; not enought rollers to cradle the boat u may put stress crack in the alloy.Some of them trailer setups from the factory are pretty basic,its a bit different when your tinny has a 4mm/5mm bottom and u have forward/centre controls with power trim the weight is evened out a little better.Hate to see you beach ya boat up on the trailer guard the first time or chew up ya prop . keep practising u will get a routine going that works.Even drive down to a buzzy ramp and just watch to see other peoples methods aways someone with clever ideas.

Malcolm W
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM

8-)

Chris
Chris, dont underestimate your skill as a lot of average boaties struggle with this. I spend many hours at the boat ramp as an assessor for skippers tickets and see one boat per week on average damaged by driving on (mostly missing the center rollers) scoring the hull as the trailer coming from the dealer is poorly set up. Also in my area the ramp is only concrete for a certain distance and the council fills behind the conctrete with gravel and rocks. Driving on pushes all of this futher out and creates a drop off. Another thing depending on your area, have a close look at all of the loose sand etc thats going into your motor while your driving on in the one spot stirring it up. Having said that it is a pleasure to watch someone who can do it well and quick. My preffered option is to have self centering rollers at the back and self centering skids for at least the first center roller. Use the bow rope to pull in on the rollers, tie the bow rope tight to the winch post, connect the winch rope and the boat will self centre pretty much on any angle as you winch it up.

chewy01
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Andrew,
im guessing its the burrum ramp ur having difficulty at.As has been said just angle the trailer either upstream or downstream depending on the tides.ou cannot drive the boat on at the burrum ramp in a northerly wind at high tide. I saw two boats holed last xmas doing it. the swell lifts the boat up at the wrong moment and plunges down,in both cases the roller came away from the pin/bracket and on the bottom of the next swell drove the boat down on the exposed post. Drive on by all means at the harbour but give it a swerve at hight tide at burrrum. ill give you a ring later in the week if ur up for a fish this weekend,though the weather looks iffy again.
chewy....

the gecko
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Andrew,
im guessing its the burrum ramp ur having difficulty at.
chewy....

yeah burrums been the main issue. I also noticed the swell, and didnt try the drive on. I did manager a drive on at wals camp yesterday, after reading this thread and getting a bit of confidence.

I found my main issue has just been dunking the trailer too deep. I had it 3/4 of the way up the wheels, and it was just enough to lift it off the centre roller. When its halfway up, the rollers do thier job better, as long as Im patient.

I wont try to drive on at BH in swell tho, thanks.

Yeah Sat sounds good if the weather is ok. I might even try Thurs nite.
See my post on fishntales? Thanks for the hint chewy.....

cheers to all who posted tips
ANdrew