PDA

View Full Version : Golden Tench are they a pest?

projectaero
05-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey guys, where i fish we catch a lot of golden tench, what i have been told by another fishmeran in the area is that they are a pest and we cannot throw them back, similar to carp.

I need to know if this is true?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/L%C3%ADn_obecn%C3%BD.jpg/800px-L%C3%ADn_obecn%C3%BD.jpg

Thanks.

Cammy
05-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Tench

Tinca tinca

Originally introduced by acclimatisation societies in the 1870s, tench have become widespread although not especially common in Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia and Tasmania. Tench appear to be gradually being displaced by carp.
Quite edible although not particularly tasty, tench are little known and seldom fished for in Australia.

Im guessing its just like carp they are an introduced fish species, althought look how old this website is lol

VVVVV

Black Mangrove Cichlid

Tilapia mariae
In Australia usually called just "tilapia", these fish were originally introduced as tropical aquarium fish. Illegally released into the Hazelwood power station pondage they have been able to establish a self sustaining population in the heated waters of the pondage. Due to the lower water temperatures in other Victorian waters, it is considered unlikely that tilapia will establish populations outside the pondage. However, tilapia pose a substantial threat in the warmer waters of Northern Australia.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/exotics.html

Cam

black_sheep
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Mate, sure looks like a tench. I reckon they would fall into the same category as tilapia and carp and therefore would be classified as noxious and should therefore be destroyed and dumped away from the river bank. Best bet though would be to contact fisheries and get the 'official' ruling.

Or try 'FishWatchHotline' on 1800 017 116.

kickouttheclams
14-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Although introduced as far as I'm aware Tench aren't declared noxious. In fact their numbers have dwindled in most parts now so most of us will be lucky to ever see one. They have not been proven to be destructive to the environment like the Carp, in fact wherever they co-exist with carp they are out competed for resources and soon die-out. They are not predatory and are not thought to be a threat to any of our natives. They failed to establish large populations here and are just as threatened by habitat modification/destruction as mont of our natives.

Pound for pound you will not find a better fighting fish (especially on light gear) and they look pretty cool too with red eyes. The pic above is actually a 'Green Tench'. The 'Golden' variety (same latin name) is a stunning fish to look at and would grace any ornamental pond or aquarium. If I could find them I'd own one in a heartbeat.

I'd defo throw them back as they are not a problem fish here and great fun to catch.
Keith