PDA

View Full Version : A Reef Somewhere... off Kurrimine

Alchemy
04-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Nic and I ventured up to Kurrimine on Friday to fish with Foxy and his dad Milton. We arrived late, at 5pm, but Foxy quickly arranged a tractor to launch Alchemy and we were on the water heading out to the reef.

We cruised out in perfect conditions to try a couple of spots. The first produced a few small mouth nannygai but not much else, so we pushed a little wider.

At the wider spot Foxy found a few good shows of fish and the lines went over. Here we caught more nannygai, red throat and a few reds (we had read that reds didn't occur in this area, but Foxy helped us dispel that urban myth ;) ). We fished with a mixture of whole pillies, mullet and squid, and found that the flesh baits caught the most fish.

Things slowed up as the night wore on, so we pulled the pick to search for more fish. First Nic and then Milton crashed, so at 1am Foxy and I had the deck to ourselves. Another good show of fish were found and out went the pick.

We soon got into some red bass at this spot. Even though they are 'no take', I was stoked to have scored another new species. Foxy seemed to be dropping into a school of bigger versions as he was bricked by 3 in a row on his 80lb tackle. It was one of those rare times when I was happy to be hooking into smaller fish! After the red bass we got 6 nice reef jacks.

Overall though, the fish were tentative. A few times I pulled the hooks from fish twice before they came back for another go. This is where the mullet flesh was good as it was tough enough to take a few hits without coming off the hook.

It remained calm and muggy all night, with distant lightening flashing all around us. Eventually we were treated to a beautiful tropical sunrise,and the fish finally started to bite better. Foxy had warned us that things were likely to be slow at this time of year on the reef, but had arranged to borrow a big esky in case we got onto a good patch of fish. I'm glad he did, as by 6am the big esky was full and we started to release prime fish. If this was indeed the 'slow' time of year, I can't wait to return when things are firing!

We left our wide spot so I could chuck a few poppers around and so Foxy could hunt up a cray for dinner. I drew a blank with the popper, but Foxy managed a couple of mac tuna before spearing a stunning Chinese footballer trout and a crayfish.

Here are a few pics.

Regards,
Dave.

Alchemy
04-01-2009, 10:31 PM
couple more pics.

disorderly
04-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Looks like an unreal trip,Dave...
Beautiful conditions also...
What depths were you fishing ?

Wonder how I can get Foxy to show me how it's done up here...

Scott

Dan5
04-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Mate what a ripper of a trip!..........nice fish........great weather...........and the photo's are awesome..........you gotta be happy with a trip like that.
Dan....

ian.young
04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Great report and top pix. What camera did you use...very impressed by the water-level tuna piccy!
Cheers
Ian

upstart
04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Fantastic. Love the Footballer. My favourite fish by far!!

backlash08
05-01-2009, 05:19 AM
Great report Dave - thanks

Regards - Craig

lethal098
05-01-2009, 07:19 AM
sensational report and great photos, could only wish for a trip like that, well done cheers Lee

levinge
05-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Hey Dave, hope you haven 't done all your good fishing before the M&G weekend, best save some for then hey mate...

You and Nic still coming up to Mission???

looks like my missus has changed her mind and is now coming up, means I'll be catching bugger all and she'll be hauling them in...

Great trip by the looks, can't wait to get stuck into them.

Fish_gutz
05-01-2009, 08:58 AM
awesome looking expedition and great pics. Cheers Andrew

FNQCairns
05-01-2009, 09:20 AM
yes expedition is the right word, tying some spear fishing into the trip nails it, the fish head pic is spectacular!

cheers fnq

pilchardjones
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
thanks for the top report dave - i am so envious.
we had 1 trip over xmas. ran 50 NM off townsville and fished for 1 hour (until about 7pm) then electrical storms closed in all around us so we ran 50NM back home as did not want to be the only thing around for lightning to strike.:'(
steve

twotins
05-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Great report great pics what more can I say, I want to be there!!! cheers shawn.

scrubba01
06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Dave and Nic looks like a great trip, gota love it when a plan comes together. Photos look good but I think you are getting a bit fancy!!! No lawn of death photos ;D ;D . Can you send some of that weather down thisway so we can get out and into a few.

Hope you have a good 2009 cheers Warren.

Alchemy
06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Scott, we fished around 60m.

Ian, we use a Canon G9 12.1mp in a Canon waterproof housing. Nic takes 99% of the pics as she has more patience than me!

Brett, yep we're still coming to Mission. Hopefully we get weather like we had as it will let us all get out to where ever we choose.

FNQ, I've never speared before and still haven't. Though it was great to see the type of country that foxy targeted the crays on. Think I might have to give it a go myself now.

Steve, bummer about your trip. We were lucky as there were storms far off, but they never came close.

Thanks Warren, likewise. The pics are Nic's good work, not mine. I didn't do a lawn of death this time as we had 30+ fish and it was frickin hot when we came in, so didn't want to risk spoilage. The lawn of death will return though :D

Thanks to everyone else for your comments.

Regards,
Dave.

levinge
07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Hey dave,
Maybe at Mission we can do a park of death and show the southerners the poor fishing we have up here.

I am hoping for some of the weather you had. I haven't put Hard Livin to WOT and fully trimmed yet, would like to see what she can do!!

Nic
08-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Oh dear, a whole Park Of Death -- and here's me thinking it was good that the barbaric Lawn Of Death was omitted! You shouldn't give Dave ideas. ;)

I hope the weather is good for everyone on the long weekend, it would be great to get into some more angry red fish. What an amazing part of the world this is!

levinge
08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Nic I am hoping, haven't had to many days of good weather when I have been up that way. Love to be able to get some serious fishing done...

disorderly
08-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I'll just settle for an Esky of Death and a weekend of 5-10 knot dry weather....

levinge
08-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll second that one,

Just hope for a top weekend, top weather, top people and no hangovers

Scott nthQld
08-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Well, I've read this report several times and I only have gotten over biting my fist to hold back the screams of envy just now.

Some excellent fish there Dave, and a nice cray to top it all off. i doubt it could've been better. I'd really like to be tied to one of those reef jack one day too....maybe mission will be my saving grace.

And yes, I'll settle for an esky of death in mission, maybe even only a couple of fish. Got a few nice big feeds of fingermark and grunter waiting in the freezer after my last trip.

Park of death sounds good, though i don't think we'd have enough people to account for the bag limits. And who has wings so they can get up high to take such an aerial shot? How bout Nic? She seems to go beyond the reasonable for the perfect shot....lol

levinge
08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
There'd be a couple of bloody big palm trees up there, reckon Nic could scall one of those. She seems to be able to achieve shots most of us would stuff up well and truely!!!!

I'll settle for an esky also

dfox
19-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Looks like an unreal trip,Dave...
Beautiful conditions also...
What depths were you fishing ?

Wonder how I can get Foxy to show me how it's done up here...

Scott

Good to talk to you Scott, as i said hopefully next time we'll manage a trip... foxy

dfox
19-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for bringing the boat up for a quick trip Dave and Nic!
Im sure you enjoyed yourself, who wouldnt in such great weather.
Heres a pic of the crays you cooked for us all Nic ... foxy

Nic
19-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the photos Foxy, those are corker crays... I saw some smaller ones in Woolies for $20 each! You are the Spear King. :)

Alchemy
20-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks for bringing the boat up for a quick trip Dave and Nic!
Im sure you enjoyed yourself, who wouldnt in such great weather.
Heres a pic of the crays you cooked for us all Nic ... foxy

No worries Foxy, it was a great weekend and wouldn't hesitate in doing it again. Thanks again for putting us on the fish and your hospitality.

Regards,
Dave.

disorderly
20-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Good to talk to you Scott, as i said hopefully next time we'll manage a trip... foxy

Likewise foxy....and looking forward to a trip out with you some time...bloody nice crays too....