PDA

View Full Version : Modern fishing and Fishing World Mag

struktcha_man
04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Got a couple for christmas

have read a few time and cant really say I am none the wiser, mostly adds for rubbish and some very "genral how to" tips.

Like "how to catch Jew", roughly the answer was get your sounder over a big hole and drop as many lines down as possible,,,Yeah right.

cheers

plaztix
05-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Never been a huge fan of them as they generally seem to cater more for those south of the border. I find Bush and Beach and QFM more relevant to my fishing, but i have to say January's 'Fishing World' has a cracker of an article on the brissie river.
Should sell like hot cakes seen as its got my mug in it::);)

Nice pic's and writing Sweresy.

juju
05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I never miss either one........dont buy them and dont miss them.....but i must confess to checking them out while waiting for a haircut....i buy Bush and Beach but...

Heath
05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Bush n Beach & QFM for me. Only read the others when at the doctors

BTW - Very proud of the little fella on the cover of this months mag :laola:

MeePee_99
05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I always buy QFM and modern fishing every month. Both great mags.

castlemaine
05-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I never miss either one........dont buy them and dont miss them.....but i must confess to checking them out while waiting for a haircut....i buy Bush and Beach but...

Me neither, cos' I get them free at the library. Fishing World used to have some good articles.
Cheers8-)

Jungle Jim
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I’ve had subscriptions (2 separate 12 month’s) to modern fishing before and after 7 or 8 months i lose interest. Seems to be same stuff. I’ve lost count of how many articles have been published in there about Nomad charters.

I’ve since decided QFm is the one for me. A bit of everything, lots of colour pics, local spots, local reports, techniques and hints and tips.

As an added bonus someone that frequents my gym leaves his or her old copies on the coffee table for everyone to read. Many times i’ve spent 40 minutes reading mags 10 minutes working out.

p.s if that’s anyone here - thanks heaps

Jim

Luc
05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
BnB & QFM are my two each month.

Have mostly given up on the other two except occasionally when there's an article I find relevant.

Luc

poundalead
05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Same here they have run out of stuff to write about bush'n beach and qfm for me. I miss Greg's articles on Double Island Point though :(

JB
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Modern fishing is always sydney based and would have to be the biggest waste of $$

As everyone else states, B&B then fishingmonthly for me.

Congrats to Mitchie on the cover Heath, hes a star at an early age ! He'll have the groupies at school wanting autographs soon lol.

Horse
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I still read some of my early Fishing Worlds. They were brilliantly edited with lots of valuable info. The examples on the newstands today are a poor imitation of what was produced in years gone by. The pics are better now and the graphics are top notch but the content is drivel in many cases. Give me a copy of BnB any day

struktcha_man
05-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah Thanks guys I'll keep an eye out for those mags (QFM and B n B).
I have to agree the old Fishing World's where a lot better and the Modern Fishing was very much targeting Southern fish, Black Bream for example, which is great but useless for a Queenslander.

cheers

Greg P
05-01-2009, 09:09 PM
QFM is the only one I buy now. BnB bores me to tears - same old articles recycled. Same with the mags even FnB is getting very ordinary for the $$$

Tangles
05-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Still BnB , QFM lately i find is a flick through. Reckon they mirror each other as well, and Sep FnB is now pretty ordinary

Bruce_Bogtrotter
05-01-2009, 10:14 PM
used to have stacks of both going back to the early 70s, gave them away as they took up too much room in garage cupboard. a common thread that ran through them was that the were the same each year, just had different authors & upgraded to the latest gear. every spring 'how to catch big flathead' etc etc.. became advertorials & boring.. don't miss them..

loophole
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Im subscribed to Bush N Beach And QFM for every birthday a new 12 month.

Enjoy reading both. And im allways browsing threw either N.A.F.A . modern fishing or fishing world or bream and bass. They ahve good articles and i read em cus I'm not paying for Them lol.

dogsbody
06-01-2009, 06:31 AM
BnB and QFM on occasion I'll get a Fishing World. I've got a few years worth of BnB,QFM that I reference to if I'm going somewhere new or need a new technique.

I just can't seem to throw out any mag related to fishing.

Dave

blueboy
06-01-2009, 07:53 AM
I look forward to QFM and Bush n Beach every month as they cover the areas I fish. As for the other fishing mags, I sometimes buy them at airports to fill in time, have a quick flick through and then wonder why I bought them.

greg;D

NAGG
06-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Even though I'm down in Sydney I only buy MF & FW when there is something of particular interest ........ otherwise they are pretty lame these days.
I still think the best publications are NAFA or Bream Bass & Barra ....... Yeh OK BBB are my preferred species ....... but the quality of the articles are usually top notch.

As for QFM & NSWFM ...... while I buy them fairly often- I find the basis of the reports more like a forecast guess or dated by the time they go to print & hence pretty useless .......... It wont be the first or last time you see a rehash either

Chris

spelchek
06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
The only thing (IMHO) holding QFM from being a brilliant mag is the (lack of) quality in its product 'reviews'. Its funny how they never seem to review a bad product. Wayne Kampe's (spl?) 'reviews' are absolutely useless as he never has a bad word to say about anything he tests. This sort of 'advertorial' cheapens an otherwise great read.

webby
06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
If some mags are getting boring, why not list your wanted requirements on what you would like to read/information on species/areas/tactics, or anything that may help you succeed.
regards

kevvie
06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Im sure every mag has some relevance to some fisho... While i agree that FW and MF should print more articles from further afield the drama is that writers are thin on the ground in QLD... im sure the editors would love to print more stuff from north of the border...and not just northern pilgramiges to exotic locations from writers south of the border either.

I can guarantee that good writers able to take good shots and decribe interesting fisheries will get published. The january brissy river article is a good example.

plastic_paul
06-01-2009, 02:18 PM
one thing i noticed with modern fishing is an article will be one big plug for a brand or new product, low and behold a couple of pages after that one there's a full page add for the product in question. Seems to be the current format, buy ads and we'll make up a suitable story. I also like that the equipment they use is always top of the line gear, and in "tackle Recomendations" they state you need a loomis for bream fishing, is it just me or does someone else remember catching one on a handline or a cheap ass rod and reel that broke a month later, still caught the fish tho.

These big publications seem to be a big propaganda machine to make people think they need the best and latest and greatest, im not one to argue that i like quality gear and new lures but i don't tell my mates that are starting to fish once a year that they need a stella for the river incase they hook onto a jack either.

i do rate qfm fairly highly in regards to reports and stockpiling these magazines year after year can give you a fairly good database for information about whats happening and why it is happening, thus helping the average fisho understand more about water temps and weather patterns, and how they affect fish. putting this into practice for your local can prove fruitful.

sooty
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I used to buy all the glossies now days it is only NQ FISH & BOAT
Well worth the $3.50 and a good read on North Queensland fresh and salt every month

Nic
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
one thing i noticed with modern fishing is an article will be one big plug for a brand or new product, low and behold a couple of pages after that one there's a full page add for the product in question. Seems to be the current format, buy ads and we'll make up a suitable story.

I can see where you're coming from but I wouldn't be too hard on MF, it's likely they have a similar policy to most mags, i.e. advertisers' products get first priority when it comes to reviews. That's not to say non-advertisers get left out -- they don't. But advertisers tend to be included first. If they're omitted, they pull their ads and the mag can't stay afloat.

So yeah -- I don't really have a beef with product reviews. My personal gripe with articles is when writers throw around lure brands as though they're a lure type. E.g., "You can use spinnerbaits, deep divers, jighead-rigged plastics or Jackalls."

Not that I dislike Jackalls -- it's just an example -- but you know what I mean!

Mag-wise, I'll put in a vote for Fishing Wild, seeing as nobody has mentioned it yet. I could never afford to visit most of the locations in that mag, but the photos are amazing.

mik01
06-01-2009, 09:52 PM
one thing i noticed with modern fishing is an article will be one big plug for a brand or new product, low and behold a couple of pages after that one there's a full page add for the product in question. Seems to be the current format, buy ads and we'll make up a suitable story. I also like that the equipment they use is always top of the line gear, and in "tackle Recomendations" they state you need a loomis for bream fishing, is it just me or does someone else remember catching one on a handline or a cheap ass rod and reel that broke a month later, still caught the fish tho.

These big publications seem to be a big propaganda machine to make people think they need the best and latest and greatest, im not one to argue that i like quality gear and new lures but i don't tell my mates that are starting to fish once a year that they need a stella for the river incase they hook onto a jack either.

i do rate qfm fairly highly in regards to reports and stockpiling these magazines year after year can give you a fairly good database for information about whats happening and why it is happening, thus helping the average fisho understand more about water temps and weather patterns, and how they affect fish. putting this into practice for your local can prove fruitful.

yep - sadly this is happening much more across many mags, not just fishing.
I guess they would argue that its the advertisers that keep the mag profitable, and they need to maximise their advertising space.

RayDeR
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
G'day!

When I was involved in Public Relations and Marketing, salespeople from the various mags (not fishing) and newspaper supplements would offer "free editorial space" for the placement of an advertisement. (Just like fishing and outdoors shows on TV).

I get BnB each month and enjoy most of it. I also wish there was some critical reviews of products rather than just "Product News". Maybe there is a place for both. Maybe the regular area reporters could include some testing of gear suitable for their area and reporting on its effectiveness or otherwise.

Ray de R

Black_Rat
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM
After reading BnB this month, Jan 09, I know there are many of us willing to take the fight against Bligh and her cronnies >:(

Cop it ! or fight it because it is wrong on so many levels :-X

Stik your head in the sand and yes, you will be undermined :(

Make a voice now, and it is now !

Don't look me in the eye unless you have given everything !!!!

The taking of our fishing grounds is but a start from the radical Green Movement :o

You cant fish here, you can't drive here :o you can't camp here :o .

If they had there way they would destroy/ban everything that makes us Australian ;)

I am, you are Australian, when does it become a choice between our god given right to just be and being a politcal pawn ? If only they knew ::)

plastic_paul
07-01-2009, 05:15 AM
I
I don't really have a beef with product reviews. My personal gripe with articles is when writers throw around lure brands as though they're a lure type. E.g., "You can use spinnerbaits, deep divers, jighead-rigged plastics or Jackalls."

Not that I dislike Jackalls -- it's just an example -- but you know what I mean!

exactly, they use the brand as the product therefore making it sound like only the jackall in that style lure will work. I didn't think i was being too hard, i had there subsciption and really got sick of it to the point where it made me angry... "spinning up gt's" next ppage a full page ad for nomad etc. It may as well be a classified ad magazine....
Although there boat test and rod building section is ok, i like new products too, but i like an un-biased opinion thats not made from money and profits

Scott nthQld
07-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I am subscribed to NQ Fish and boat, always enjoy the read, and often there's articles and reports from local people I personally know and have been fishing with.

I find QFM based too much around Brisbane, so only get it when I'm interested in a particular article. North Qld, might get 2-3 pages of reports and predictions, with each region often getting less than 1/2 a page, where as SEQ regions less than 1/2 hour away from one another often get a 2 page spread and say the same thing: snapper can be targeted offshore with bait or large plastic, bream in the estuaries etc, nearly every month, NQ regions being Whitsundays, Burdekin, Townsville, Hinchinbrook Cairns and Port Douglas, and a couple of snippets from Weipa and Karumba. Besides, If I want to know what been happening around Townsville, I can go into the local tackle shop and ask the author himself. Its very rare that they have an article that interests me now though, mostly full of ads, with maybe 5 pages of content that I might read if I choose to purchase it.

Same goes for BnB, though it is a SEQ publication, I do buy it when an article is relevant to what I want to do, or am interested in, but that doesn't happen often.

reidy
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
i buy the above these days only when it has a freebie attached to the cover eg lure,line etc.Have a good collection of older issues going back 25 years.Hang on to them for refrence purposes.
cheers
reidy

Creek Vermin
07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the writers need a bit more feedback on what everyone wants to read about. If the questions are asked, it might push them to target different species incorporating different techniques. A lot of them get out often enough and are willing to try areas and trial rigs and lures, which a lot of readers don't get the chance to try in their own time.
A lot of the contributors cop a quiet serve from fishos, but it's not easy producing different material each month.
Should a writer throw in the towel once they reach the point of struggling to produce new info every month?
Does anyone write in and ask for what they want??

Better to pass your thoughts on to the mag than put them on here.

Cheers. Keith

jaredluke
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I read em all, dosen't matter which one as long as they are about fishing

breamnut
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
well said keith consistantly coming up with new hints and tips would be hard and the aticles may not always suit everyone's type and style of fishing most writers will do articles to what is biting or what the majority of people want, eg summer time=mangrove jack for the creeks and rivers or the black marlin of the coast atm.

RayDeR
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
G'day!

On radio announcers must state if they have an involvement (cash for comment) and it certainly cost John Laws and 2UE a lot of money for not doing so. (Fine $130,000 see: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/john-laws-incurs-130000-fine/2008/11/26/1227491636583.html . ).

However, the print media including fishing mags can run articles written by advertisers as if they are the work of the mag's own journalists. I know because I have written articles which have not been altered even one word when published to accompany paid advertisements. Surely, mags should declare "advertorial" or have a symbol that says this (that would be like Lawsy's cowbell) at the top of such articles.

Ray de R

plaztix
08-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Advertising is the back bone of any magazine and without it they would be more like leaflets printed on A4 printer paper in black and white. You have to read them objectively.

If you take everything you read and hear as gospel your a sucker. Take a snipet of info here and there, enjoy the pics then stick it in the pile of mags in the shed to flick through in 2 years time when you've forgotten what a mackeral looks like.

Do we really need to be spoonfed and told when someone is advertising or not. It's usually pretty obvious and i for one generally couldn't care less what gear starlo is using, what clubs tiger is using, what drink paris hilton is drinking.

I think the majority of articles are fairly unbiased and based on the writers personal experience and opinions which can often relect a preference to one or another item. Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats life, we've all got opinions and with out them magazines would be full of fact sheets and specifications.

At the end of the day, if you like the content and format of a particular mag, buy it, if not, dont but either way, as CV said, feedback is the only way that the editors are going to know what you like or dont like.

RayDeR
08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
G'day Paztix!

I agree with you that Mags would not exist without the advertising and I love the adverts. I also buy from advertisers.

What I object to is stuff that looks like editorial but is advertiser supplied (see Page 32 Jan 2009 BnB and Page 39 Jan 09 BnB ).

Ray de R

haggis
09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I buy qfm & bnb every month I also buy most others every now & then .
No matter how often I read them I still struggle to catch fish . Hey but at
least I get to look at other peoples fishes in the mags & find out about other locations aroun this fantastic country .
cheers Jimmy .

oldboot
12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I have to agree that the fishing media is being more and more prostituted to the advertisers but so also is most of the media.

Even movies have paid "product placement" in them......that lap top the spy was using, would the brand a logo be as plain and obvious if the manufacturer had not paid for it to be there.

I have quite a few old books and magazines and I have to say that is where the gold is.

Back in the days of magazines were printed in black and white on newsprint with a glossy cover they had to use editorial craft to make the mag look good sell.

these days people want short articles and coliur pictures.

Some of the authors who were writing screamer articles and books 20 or 30 yeras ago are still there and some of their articles are still good but they cant make a living on one article a month, so they have their own tackle brands.

Yeh its a signs of the times.

We hoked up the brand name boat, behind the brand name 4wd and headed to the brand name caravan park, ......... this is a wonderfull tourist authority endoursed area...........put the boat in at brand name private ramp, the new brand name trailer is wonderfull...... we fired up the brand name outboard and headed out...... we cast band name lures on brand name rods with brand name reels and.........

I supose you just have to translate their brand name products to your generic product and filter out the other stuff to find the real informantion.:-/

OH bugger it.................just read AUSFISH;D

cheers

roz
12-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I used to devour both modern fishing & fishing world mags, particularly when I lived out in the Gunnedah area, hundreds of kilometres from the ocean & all I could fish for were carp in the Namoi, I could have killed for the opportunity just to wet a line in the ocean.

I learned so much from well written articles. On the other hand it's been well over a decade or so since I've picked one up...

I've also read B & B all good. Regardless of which publication you prefer,, you have to admit it's very, very hard to put a new spin on well worn topics, think about it... the number of articles written over the years on how to catch bream..lost count. Sad thing is, I'm still useless at catching bream, flathead different story LOL.

r.

Sheik
20-01-2009, 01:55 AM
I have been a journalist for many years and also write for one of the above mags. The editors and their staff do a pretty amazing job getting everything together every month. I don't envy them the job. I know for a fact though that if you present your ideas to editors in the right way, your requests will always be listened to. Every editor wants feedback from readers, whether it be good or bad. The worst thing is to have no feedback. But do it politely to get better results.
I agree though that reviews fram all journos tend to be too polite. When was the last time you read a scathing report on a new car or boat. Should we be more like the top gear boys, who call a spade a spade?
Trouble is, they're big enough to tell advertisers to nick off if they don't like what they hear. Our mags are trying to play a fine line between not annoying advertisers and giving readers good strong info.

tailorboi99
20-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Fishing World I am subscribed too so I can't complain. I also pick up the odd Modern Fishing.

alphas
21-01-2009, 10:27 PM
[quote=Sheik;957713]I agree though that reviews fram all journos tend to be too polite. When was the last time you read a scathing report on a new car or boat. quote]
So very,very true....Can't say that I have ever read a negative report on new product from one particular scribe In QFM...and it bothers me that it happens in these mags too.Would consider purchasing again if the content got a little more subjective.

oldboot
22-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I picked up a coppy of "NQ Fish and Boat" and it seems to me to be very good value for the cover price.
Yeh it is a newspaper style offering, and the presentation isn't all that flash, but it seems to have some decent content.

Don't let the "NQ" thing worry you, apart from some specific local articles mots of the content is interesting and usefull.

cheers

mikooh
22-01-2009, 10:30 AM
To me the content is the real issue, more so than the blatant advertorials. I remember reading about great adventures to remote locations where the writer actually planned the expedition, used thier own gear and found the fish for themselves, all financed by their own hip pocket- You dont seem to read these stories in the glossies anymore.
As kids we used to con someone with a licence to drive us and our old tinny down to the river where we would boat downstream with tents and an esky and camp out and dream of one day doing the same thing up north somewhere. All because we read about these adventures in the fishing mags. To this day we still plan and carry out these trips when time and finances allow, as the seed had been sown when we were young.

It makes me wonder if the kids of today only dream of buying an xxx rod and reel then flying up to go and spend a week with joe the wonder guide. What a pity if it is, because they will miss out on so much if that is the case!

Bring back Harro and the gang!!

Mick

oldboot
22-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Bring back Harro and the gang!!

Mick

alas to a lesser or greater extent thay have all fallen to the "great satan" of fishing capitaism.

Apart from the great master "Mc Crystal" who is retired, all the greats of the past who are still writing have had no option to go down the line of product endorsement.

Unless these guys want to work day jobs outside the fishing industry they have to somehow embrace "the fishing business"

Some of them are still writing good articles but somehow somewhere there is a fishing product or two in their lives.

Even being editor of a fishing magazine isnt going to pay enough to support and sort of serious fishing lifestyle.

Apart from ET who came into "the business" with "some money" how many of these guys are realy doing well financilay......seriously there would be brickies making more money than most of these guys.

cheers

cheers

mikooh
22-01-2009, 01:55 PM
alas to a lesser or greater extent thay have all fallen to the "great satan" of fishing capitaism.

Apart from the great master "Mc Crystal" who is retired, all the greats of the past who are still writing have had no option to go down the line of product endorsement.

Unless these guys want to work day jobs outside the fishing industry they have to somehow embrace "the fishing business"

Some of them are still writing good articles but somehow somewhere there is a fishing product or two in their lives.

Even being editor of a fishing magazine isnt going to pay enough to support and sort of serious fishing lifestyle.

Apart from ET who came into "the business" with "some money" how many of these guys are realy doing well financilay......seriously there would be brickies making more money than most of these guys.

cheers

cheers
Your comments are on the money Oldboot, However I would suggest that many of the fishing writers whose work we look back apon had a day job long before they put pen to paper in the glossies. Magazine articles were a way of supplementing their favorite hobby, and a knack for telling a story well got them on their way to the sentiment we now hold for them.

Fishing World was once my bible, and I would visit the newsagent every day at the end of the month in hope that it would be on the shelf early. These days I like to read what Mr Green has to say, and it seems that Mr Butlers back page editorial holds some merit (although he doesn't paint the picture as well as his predecessor.) Unfortunatly these few pages do not warrant the asking price IMHO so it stays on the shelf.

Mick

webby
22-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Have you ever though that some just do it for the fun and enjoyment, and not the money, as you sure couldnt live on what some are paid.
Maybe they just like helping others out.
There's always cynics amongst the readers, or maybe there just jealous.
Yes repetition does occur, but until readers let the mag or write no, what they would like to read about or ways to help them out, writers can only submit what they hope readers may be interested in.
Any way like a few posts this one has been floogged to death.
regards