PDA

View Full Version : A different Approach

darylive
03-01-2009, 07:01 PM
It seems being the computer guru i am I doubled up?

presumably one of our great moderators fixed it. Thanks.

See below

darylive
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
When fishing I usually go casting and may try a troll.

If I have no joy on the cast sometimes I will try a troll over a likely patch of water.

This approach has proved worth while in the past producing fish when casting failed and vise versa if there is no luck on the troll get in to the sticks and flog a lure, again changing lures to try to get on.

The fact is some water is more practical to approach casting such as in the sticks etc. where as other stretches lend themselves to trolling say along the edge of a weed bank and off course the basin cruise.

My question is; do you think Barra or Bass for that matter are more receptive to one approach than another on any given day. Some times you can flog all sorts of lures over the weeds for no return but a troll past will produce the goods.

Some will argue it is just that trolling covers more water but I am more thinking about a concentrated effort on a selected section of water not unlike flogging a lure in an area that looks like it should hold fish.

Some say the boat spooks the fish other claim the boat gets the fish's interest.

What say you? and
Do you alter your approach when plan 'A' is not producing the fish?

Regards

Dan5
03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Just out of interest........is this thread aimed at impoundment/dam fishing only? or barra fishing in general.

It's just that i havn't done much stocked impoundment fishing.

Cheers Dan

Tropicaltrout
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Go in and drink p!@# and cook for those making thier mind up!

NAGG
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi Daryl

Personally ..... I feel that with trolling you can target a certain depth range with consistency
In deeper basin / channel water that could mean a thermocline / bait ball at a certain depth ........... Once located passes can be controlled & precise
good trollers who use down riggers can play a whole new game again

As for weed edges ....... I think that running close & parallel you get that reaction bite while most casting involves casting to a point at the weed edge ....... so unless you land a cast close enough you may not get a bite ....... or until a transient fish passes by.

So I think trolling is still about covering water but you can be more effective with some knowledge & a good sounder / GPS

Chris

darylive
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Just out of interest........is this thread aimed at impoundment/dam fishing only? or barra fishing in general.

It's just that i havn't done much stocked impoundment fishing.

Cheers Dan

Interesting comment Dan Thanks.

I suppose the same applies, do you alter your tactics to get a hook up or stick to a preferred method?

darylive
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
NAGG

I concur ;D hence the reason I will sometimes choose to troll.

Of course another reason is time, I suppose after dark it is good to have a lazy cruise and try for hook ups while avoiding hang ups.

Thanks for the input.

Dan5
03-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Well i used to be a big advocate for"big fish must troll" but in the past 6-7 years i've changed my view somewhat.......mostly in the past the whole day would be spent just waiting for the right stage of the tide for trolling deep diver's over structure..........

More recently .......say in the past 5 years i've learnt to work the water better by casting.......and have put some people onto bigger fish and more of them including myself.

Flats fishing for barra is i think one of the most challenging way's i've caught fish and it bloody hard to troll 300mm of water so casting is the only real soulution,it's also fairly impressive to see the fish before it's caught also...........it really get's the heart pumpin when you see a 1mtr+ fish cruising the shallow's.

Both method's are effective, nowaday's i'm alot more of a caster but i still keep an observant eye out for deepwater structure that can really only be practically targeted by trolling.........

Dan,,,,

darylive
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Dan, having consideration for your recent escapades I could have included go for a drive as an option and check the drains; ONLY IN THE TERRITORY!

BR65
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Darryl, any chance of adding an option to the poll??
"The fishing is tuff, do you -
(e) Fall asleep whilst trolling?"

Dan5
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Dan, having consideration for your recent escapades I could have included go for a drive as an option and check the drains; ONLY IN THE TERRITORY!

Yeah sometime's it's good just to go for a drive.......no boat washing....

It's fairly early season still so there's alot more "drive by" report's to come..........i havn't even hit Shady Camp yet..........i hope to see another metery come from there casting off the causway this year,

Cheers Dan.......

Luc
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Ya got to be versatile to get results.

We're happy to change lures till we get a result so changing the methods we use is also just trying to get a result.

But then it depends on the individual. For some, the method of fishing is the go but other caching a fish is more important.

Who's the better angler, the one who's an absolute master in one kind of fishing or the one who's able to change methods as needed?

Luc

BR65
03-01-2009, 09:26 PM
......;) .......

Jeremy87
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Speaking in bass terms (because i do alot mor bass fishing) my response is yet again it depends. Small water fishing casting is by far the best option. often the water is shallow to the extent that is is impossible not to spook the fish trolling or the fish are sitting too tight in the structure to respond to a trolled lure. However in impoundments trolling becomes a useful tool. i have often caught bass on the troll in well structured areas, (dams like cania, borumba etc) buy trolling a lure short in the main creek bed getting the lure in close to the trees around the thermocline. When fishing for scattered fish in the basin of a dam or trying to initially locate fish it makes sense to troll as to cover as much water as quickly as possible. However once a school is located then casting onto or jigging for the fish often proves far more productive than trolling. You can begin to target individual fish seen on your sounder, and you are not constantly having to leave the school.

Tropicaltrout
04-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Well in contrast to what has been dicussed on evry angle I would cast all day and have atroll on the way in mainly as its dark on the way in so its safer and gives me that little bit more of a chance to catch a fish... also I will opt to troll if I have my kids in the boat.... I will stick to casting when flying solo, just like standing up taking everything in around me and dont realy care if I get a fish or not I just love being on the sweetwater when given the chance....

barra_mauler001
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I usually sit and whinge about... is that an option???? Either that or I catch the shutterbug and get the camera out... Then I take pictures of weed or sticks that I have pulled up, my substitute for fish!

lol nah! I usually try something that I want to test out, like a new lure.
Trolling is an option as well, even know it bores me!

Cheers barra

darylive
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks all. good feedback and no dispersions.

I have just got the ol' commodore 65 (the one after the original 64) to work again.

Like my head some days it just fails to function as it should.