PDA

View Full Version : Boat advice

Morston
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I am sure that this has probably cropped up hundreds of times but I will ask anyway.

I want to buy a boat. I am mainly interested in fishing estuaries and dams and, particularly, the Brisbane river as I live in Toowong.

My main concern is to be able to launch and retrieve it singlehandedly.....i will be 60 on my next birthday so am not as young or fit as I used to be:(

I would also need to be able to tow it easily with my car (Forester).

90% of the time I will be on my own so that is another consideration.

If possible I would like to venture into the bay occasionally but not a priority....I would like to be able to fish the river mouth comfortably though.

I would hope not to spend more than $20000 for a fully fitted outfit but could pay more if necessary.

Any suggestions please....I am not too familiar with the Australian boating scene.

Cahal

Jeremy
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM
a 3.9 to 4.2m tinny with a 30-40 hp outboard is what you are looking for IMHO. Will do all the above. You should be able to pick a good one up easily second hand for under 10K, or new for under $14K. Leaves a bit extra for a good sounder and a GPS and some fishing gear.

Nearest ramp to Toowong is at Fig Tree Pocket, but to fish the mouth, you will generally want to launch at Pinkenba or Fisherman's Islands. As long as you do not launch or retrieve at the top of the tide you will be OK as there is no beach to leave your boat when you are on your own at high tide at either of these ramps.

Jeremy

dnej
03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
And make sure the tinny is a good brand.Some are not so good,and I am sure you will get some answers on that one
David

PADDLES
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
like jeremy has said a basic 4.2 to 4.5m tiller steer tinny with a 40hp motor should be less than $10k new and even cheaper second hand. it'll be easy to handle on and off the trailer by yourself and will also handle being dragged onto the beach while you go and grab the car if you're by yourself. being 60 and not such a spring chicken any more you might wish to consider spending some more money on a couple of things to make life easier. get a step welded onto the back of it to make it easier to get in and out. buy some decent seats with backrests to lean back into and save the back a bit. get power trim and tilt and also electric start. good luck with your purchase mate.

Morston
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I was thinking that a tinny around the 4-4.5m mark might do.

I am a bit wary as we came back across the bay in a 46ft. boat the other evening and it was getting uncomfortable, to say the least......at least it made me realise that there are limits to what I may be able to do practically.

I was not sure whether tiller steer would be best but think it would do for all I want.

I have also thought about an electric winch but am not sure how good they are.

I suppose I need to get out in a few boats before deciding.....I do not want to get it wrong as I don't think I will ever be looking to change.

Thanks

Cahal

kitch76
03-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Dont forget that with care you can drive your boat back onto a lot of trailers, I have a 385 explorer on a basic sealink trailer and at my local ramp I have started to drive on which saves fighting wind, waves and current.

TunaKing2008
04-01-2009, 05:29 AM
hi, good luck hope you find what your looking for. found this on ebay something like this i think you be up your ally if it had a motor easy access through to anchor big enough to fish the mouth or outside in the bay yet still small enough to manage by yourself. as mentioned before good name brand tinny. these types can be picked up second hand for well under 20k in most brands http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2007-Tabs-Plate-Boat-and-Trailer_W0QQitemZ180318028768QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Boats?hash=item180318028768&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Jeremy
04-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I was thinking that a tinny around the 4-4.5m mark might do.

I am a bit wary as we came back across the bay in a 46ft. boat the other evening and it was getting uncomfortable, to say the least......at least it made me realise that there are limits to what I may be able to do practically.

ALL boats are compromises of one sort or another. Most peope want their boat to do several things and NO boat will be 'best' for them all.

Obviously the bigger and heavier the boat is, the more comfortable the ride BUT the harder it will be to manage on your own.

A 12'-13' basic tinny is pretty lightweight and can easily be winched onto your trailer by hand. When you get up to 15' (4.5m) it makes alot of difference and is not so easy to manage on your own. Of course it can be done. I had a 15' centre console which I fished with on my own alot, but I built up alot of experience and am a bit younger than you.

I suggest you take a drive to one of the more popular boat ramps - you could try Fishermans Islands, Jacobs Well, Colmslie. Hae a ook at some of the boats coming and going, ask some questions, and try to imagine yourself in them. Do they look comfortable? Could you manage on your own?

Jeremy

kind_cir
04-01-2009, 07:36 AM
How about a small alloy runabout around 4.3m up. You could find good late model rigs on the second hand market. With a windscreen and conopy to keep the weather at bay, esp on those cold mornings. Get one with electric trim tilt so you don't do your back, and a drive on trailer and your set. Also ally boats will take knocks and scrapes at the ramp.
Found this as a very basic starter package on the Quintrex site.

http://www.quintrex.com.au/BoatRange/BS43EA/430EstuaryAngler.aspx

dogsbody
04-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I've got a 4.2 Bluefin 30hp tiller and I think would be the right size for you and the type of fishing you'll be doing. I do head out in the bay from time to time around the islands with no problems. I try to go out in less than 15knts of breeze,,have been caught out in higher breezes but not comfortable and gets very wet.

The Bluefin has handled it all and being a 3mm bottom 2mm sides with wide side decks always felt solid and safe.

Dave

Spaniard_King
04-01-2009, 07:46 AM
I would rather be in a side console with an electric start engine with Trim and tilt. A lot easier on the body to be driving a steering wheel rather than hanging on to a tiller.

kind_cir
04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
This is the sort of thing you can get hold of second hand

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2008-Quntrex-Estuary-Angler-430_W0QQitemZ330296742439QQihZ014QQcategoryZ158326 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bluefin59
04-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I have a bluefin predator 4.5 mt 60 mariner ,they are 3mm bottom and sides these boats are tough as nails and have done over 500hr in it over 4yr it has handled every situation its been put in with ease . Most of the work it has done is in the bay they come with many features that are standard that other brands call extras ,jump on the bluefin web site and have a look they are built on the gold coast . Mine has the drive on trailer and is easily launched by one person same as retrieveing ,if you want to have a look at mine and see what they are like send a p.m and we will see what i can arrange ,also i would buy another one at the drop of a hat if mine was stolen or destroyed ...matt ;D ;D ;D

They are just on 20k new i think but there are second hand ones around for about 15K if you look on boatpoint most come with a 50hp which is more than enough in my opinion ...

blueboy
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Cahal,

My criteria was the same as yours and the Bluefin 4.2 side console does the job nicely.

You're very welcome to have a look also. I live at The Gap which isn't far from you.

Drop me a private message if you want to organise something.

Cheers, Greg;D

Morston
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys

Great advice so far.

Greg and Bluefin thanks for the offers...I may well take you up on it soon.

I have only recently moved here from the UK so trailerboats are new to me although I have some experience with small boats on the UK trout reservoirs.

I always planned to get a boat when I got here but have been busy on the house and then waiting for Xmas to get out of the way.

I still need to get my licence so will sort that in the near future.....I am retired (at the moment) so hopefully will have plenty of time to gain some experience.

Hope to catch up with a few of you one day

thanks

Cahal