PDA

View Full Version : Thorneside Boat Ramp--Temp closure.

mowerman
02-01-2009, 07:59 PM
This weeks Bayside bulletin in the council snapshot.

"Council advises that the boat ramp on the corner of Helen st and Queens esplanade, Thorneside will be closed from 27 January for eight weeks. During this time, the ramp will be reconstructed."

There is a gravel ramp past the train station if you really need to get into Tingalpa Creek.

Rod.

Blackened
02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
G'day

2 months hey......... must be putting in pontoons, a floating ice cream shop, boat hire, dredging the entrance......... one can only hope.

Seriously though, seems like a good thing

Dave

stevelcqld
02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Think that's the one I am going to use as I live in Mooroondu Rd.

Wonder how many of us use this ramp.. or was it a local secret!!! till now.. lol

Steve

oldboot
02-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't say it is the busiest ramp in town but it does get a bit of use.

I've put in there onece or twice......quite a few on the people who are on the mourings use it too.

can get a bit bussy when it is windy and people want to go up the creek instaed of in the bay.

Don't like the chances of a pontoon... probaly just a fresh bit of cement

cheers

mowerman
02-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Think that's the one I am going to use as I live in Mooroondu Rd.

Wonder how many of us use this ramp.. or was it a local secret!!! till now.. lol

Steve

BUT...

With the way the beacons are at the mouth of Tinny Ck. Its only the locals who can get out without finding a mudbank.

Rod

stevelcqld
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Well I am a local and have not had the pleasure to launch at the ramp "Yet" was hoping to today, but weather is pretty crap..

Any tips..

Cheers,

Steve

oldboot
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
When the weather is carp is just when you want the thorneside ramp, because it is sheltered and you are probaly going up the creek or just out the front in a southerly.

cheers

mowerman
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi Steve.

At low tide go to the top of the hill to the right of the ramp and have a look at how much water there isnt between the beacons in the dogleg.

Or go for a run in the boat at high tide and keep a good eye on the sounder to see where the shallow bits are at 2/3 tide and lower.

Then again, it is only mud.

Rod.

stevelcqld
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi

Well the ramp is closed and a weeks work has resulted in Sheds, Pegs and a Fence.

Looks like they will be widening the ramp a bit and it's approach. Plus some tar either side.

See pics below.

Cheers,
Steve

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k400/stevelc/0001.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k400/stevelc/0002.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k400/stevelc/0003.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k400/stevelc/0004.jpg

sharkymark2
02-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Good on you Steve for all the effort you went to. You made a fairly average post very interesting. Good Luck Mark.

385EXPLORER
02-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I took the tinny down there on sat to escape the 20nt se,ruined my plans for the day,but at least it's gunna get upgraded,agreed the navigating is tough,near impossible at low tide unless your in a kayak,watch the rocks in the middle near the ramp.

snagking
10-04-2009, 10:02 PM
For those who don't already know, It's open again, and it looks much better (still a small ramp though)

oldboot
10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I was down there the other day and they were still putting on the finishing touches.

I was wondering if it would be finished for easter weekend.

It may be a small ramp but it is handy.....and it is now 10m linger than it was.

I notice there has been a red bouy put in to mark the FBR to the right of the ramp.

Oh goodie.....I have to go for a look.

cheers

Angla
11-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I was down there the other day and they were still putting on the finishing touches.

I was wondering if it would be finished for easter weekend.

It may be a small ramp but it is handy.....and it is now 10m linger than it was.

I notice there has been a red bouy put in to mark the FBR to the right of the ramp.

Oh goodie.....I have to go for a look.

cheers

I love initials. Is that a eFfing Big Rock

Cheers
Chris

oldboot
11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Yep you got that one right.

It a real PF..... propellor ######

I was chatting to the blokes down there & they said they would have been happy to have a go at it with their excavator, free of charge but they jumped up and down on it and poked it with a stick & considered the best they could manage would be a few decent scratches.......seems it is one of the mounting brackets for Ayers Rock

aparantly quite a few people have had encounters with it over the years on the low.

So if you are comming in down there comming from down stream, make a wide swing and come into the ramp straight on...... the whole thing is pretty shallow thu there in the best of places.
on the low there are places you could walk to Lota from Thorneside while rolling a smoke.

there are bits of rock all over the thorneside side of the creek along there......big plates of it.

cheers