PDA

View Full Version : A day to remember

MitchCalcutt
02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I do love fishing very much, my favourite fishing by far would have to be for Jacks in Cape York. BUT what I saw on NYD will be in my memories forever.
The older I get the happier I am to see young people having a great time and if I should happen to get one, well that’s good to.
Yesterday; NYD we were expecting or hopping to do a bit better than we had over the past three days. Anyone who ventured out would agree the morning was magic, glassy with little swell. We spotted the first fining Black in 20mtow east of the seaway, we drove up to him, with one twitch of his tail he hit top speed. Two shots later he gave up and drifted off into the inky depths. Less than 5 minutes later we spotted another, we ran in to about 15mts of him hopping he would be hungrier than the first but no, I watched him drift away from the boat to begin his fining 50mt away. We did another pass for the same result, I can’t say I was all that disappointed; to watch the fish in such a peaceful state just cursing made my day. We saw two more that day one of them was quite clearly asleep with its bill bobbing up and down in the slow rolling swell. Taking lures wasn’t going to happen so live Bonito were the only option left, That worked with the only semi hungry and awake Marlin for the day coming to the boat for a particularly messy release with it jumping over the outboard breaking the mono in its travels. For those concerned for its wellbeing, don’t worries too much we used a circle hook and the fish was clearly just hooked.
The rest of the day was spent trying to keep Bonito alive and catching Bonito.
I can’t speak for the rest of the crew but I have a great day of memories.
Mitch

skipalong
02-01-2009, 07:44 PM
one of those days by the sounds

Angla
02-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds very memorable Mitch. Hope you get more luck with hookups next time

Chris

goldfish
03-01-2009, 12:31 PM
well done mitch. we spent the same day in the same spot & out to 50m & apart from the massive amounts of bait on the sounder we only say 3 fish on the sounder none of wich licked my selction of skirts & hard bodies. so we ended up just burning fuel for not even a strike but yes the coniditions were magic.

ps what time did you head out ? we passed through the seaway at 9.30am. (late night = late start.)

siegfried
06-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Mitch , I can post some live slimeys up your way for 500 bucks each:P or you could try dojos, they are the best lure in the world ..ever::) good luck with em they aint here yet got 3 up the other day wide on lures and another stripe and a blue 180-200. last 3 days dead quiet with heaps of holiday fullas here but the fish have mooved on.Still waiting for the inshore run of little fullas

Animal
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Sigfried I can assure you Mitch is fully capeable of catching marlin if they are able to be caught.

He's a very good natural fisherman and I'm sure he'll continue to do well with both his fishing and lure business.

Keep at it Mitch,
Peter Pakula

siegfried
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
My post was light hearted and no one was suggesting anyone cant fish ,you mate are a sook.:'( Unlike many other sites members here dont spend their time bickering over nothing. Sorry Mitch if I offended you ,ya can have the slimeys for free;) (siegfried humbly appologises to all for his evil attempt at humour- may he be sewn up in the belly of a dead marlin)

Animal
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Sig, I'm sure your comments were light harted. I don't know why you thought my reponse were so serious. Mitch is a good guy who gets a lot out of and gives a lot to the sport as I'm sure you do so lets not get off track.

MitchCalcutt
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
My post was light hearted and no one was suggesting anyone cant fish ,you mate are a sook.:'( Unlike many other sites members here dont spend their time bickering over nothing. Sorry Mitch if I offended you ,ya can have the slimeys for free;) (siegfried humbly appologises to all for his evil attempt at humour- may he be sewn up in the belly of a dead marlin)
Hi seigfried how are you?
I've only just tuned in after working hard for two days and it appears I've missed something. I'll take the slimeys alive or frozen, I haven't seen a Slimey all year. I'll even come down and pick em up, I love your part of the world. My Father and uncle fished SWR alot in the seventy's.
Mitch

MitchCalcutt
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Sigfried I can assure you Mitch is fully capeable of catching marlin if they are able to be caught.

He's a very good natural fisherman and I'm sure he'll continue to do well with both his fishing and lure business.

Keep at it Mitch,
Peter Pakula
Hi Peter
The lures are doing well, more importantly catching heeps of fish.
Talk soon
Mitch
PS thanks for the hooks

siegfried
07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Good mate, if your keen for a fish sing out, hopefully things will crack on shortly. THe warm water hasnt really hit yet ,it seems to be swinging out to the north of us. Theres a comp down at Port Maquarie this weekend so with a few more boats about it will give a better indication or whats going on, good to see you blokes are still getting amoung em,. Whats happening out wide with the blues? we might hafta drag one of the rigs up ther because theyve gone of the boil here, cheers mate

MitchCalcutt
07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Good mate, if your keen for a fish sing out, hopefully things will crack on shortly. THe warm water hasnt really hit yet ,it seems to be swinging out to the north of us. Theres a comp down at Port Maquarie this weekend so with a few more boats about it will give a better indication or whats going on, good to see you blokes are still getting amoung em,. Whats happening out wide with the blues? we might hafta drag one of the rigs up ther because theyve gone of the boil here, cheers mate
Hi Siegfried
Don't know about Blues, I think as long as th esmall fish are in close know body's fishing out wide.
Talk soon
Mitch