PDA

View Full Version : Towing A Kayak

Gordie
02-01-2009, 06:41 PM
G'day folks, just after a bit of advice. I fish the freshwater from a tinnie and have recently modified a Rosco slalom to fish out of. It works well.

Do kayaks tow well, if I were to tow it 5/10 k up a dam to do some quiet fishing.

I guess I would have to tie a cover over the cockpit area.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Gordon

Chimo
02-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Gordon

have you considered that instead of towing it you use some of those kayak car roof rack brackets but fit them off centre to a couple of bars located across the beam of your tinny. You could locate the rear bar in the rollock hole and the front bar across you bow rail.

Then maybe you can go your hardest without worrying.

Just a thought from one GOM who often uses fencing wire or tie wire to solve problems.

Cheers
Chimo

oldboot
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
It might tow a bit better and stay right way up with a 15 or so KG sand bag in the bottom......I've seen kayaks both under tow and lashed across tinnies on the bay.

cheers

StevenM
06-01-2009, 08:27 AM
What sort of kayak mate?

you would be best of doing a bridle or something and bringing the tow rope from the middle of the yak on both sides and under the yak to about 2/3 the way to the front. Main tow line attached there and you will be ok. This will get the nose of the yak up and will ride / tow ok.