PDA

View Full Version : Barra from the bitumen,

Dan5
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Well i thought i'd start off 09' with a quick "drive by" barra trip Darwin style!

A mate and i went for a quick drive out the Arnhem hwy today to have a flick around some of the roadside culvets and bridge's for a barra,with our wet season now upon us it was'nt hard finding some nice fishy looking water right on the side of the road.

Our first stop was at the West alligator culvet (west branch) which had us flicking small sp's madly at boiling schools of Tarpon with the odd small (35-45cm) barra thrown in, after a quick little 15 minute session we ended up with 7-8 tarpon and 3 little barra.

Next stop and 5k down the road is the main West Alligator river culvet,so back into it we get flickin our little 3'' storm sp's around for a few more tarpon and only 1 barra this time.........so back in the car and on we go.

West Alligator culvert (east branch) is our next stop,with the water pumpin fairly hard making some nice eddy's and with lot's of overhanging tree's this culvet so far looked the best.With more boiling tarpon and surface action and boofing right at our feet i thought we'd be knocking em off left right and center............but.......it was'nt to be........with only a few tarpon to our name's it was time to hit the road again.

Flying Fox crk was the next stop,same story as before heap's of water pumping,tarpon boiling........flicking.......flicking.....bang a little barra all of about 25cm smack's my little 3'' shad.........with that it all went fairly quiet so we took off for the next biggest creek which is Magella.

Arriving at Magella i was a little disapointed i thought with all th rain that they have had out there lately that it would have been a bit deeper over the crossing but it was only 400-500 over the road........it usually fishes best when it's roughly 1.5mtrs........so we give it ago while we are there.Ol'mate that came with me is flicking away and smacko right at is feet in no more than 10cm of water he's onto a nice little saratoga........i dunno who was more surprised.....him or the fish....with a quick little battle he's landed.......a nice little toga of about 60 odd cm....not bad considering he nearly stood on it.

Next stop is back along the Kakadu hwy and a flick aroud Nourlangie 1,2,3 creek's.These 3 creek's have alway's been good to me in the years gone by so i was fairly confident that if we got there and there was plenty of water pumpin we'd have a good little sesh........Yep they were........yee ha.

First cast......bang....barra,not big around 60cm smash's my little storm gold shad does a couple of little jumps with those rattling headshake's and gone..........ahh well that's barra fishin.Half a dozen cast's later..........boof off the top....another little fella of about 45cm inhales my sp........a quick little battle and landed......flick.....bang again........dropped him.......wind twitch.......bang another......two little jump's.....he's gone.

All in all today combined we proberbly landed over 50 fish from the roadside,thats tarpon included ofcourse,but we would have ended up with atleast 15 barra.....all small........nothin over 65cm......but it was a good day out and a good way to start off the new year with a barra or two under the belt already.......By the way it's a 600km round trip by the time you go to Jabiru,Magella and Coonida then back to Darwin............lucky we're allowed to do 130kmh still !......ahh yer we saw one 6ft+ croc at flying fox so don't go for a swim

Happy new year,
Dan........

BR65
02-01-2009, 08:23 AM
All in all today combined we proberbly landed over 50 fish from the roadside,thats tarpon included ofcourse,but we would have ended up with atleast 15 barra.....all small........nothin over 65cm......but it was a good day out and a good way to start off the new year with a barra or two under the belt already.......By the way it's a 600km round trip by the time you go to Jabiru,Magella and Coonida then back to Darwin............lucky we're allowed to do 130kmh still !......ahh yer we saw one 6ft+ croc at flying fox so don't go for a swim

Happy new year,
Dan........

Youve gotta love the Territory, how good is that ;D

Gordie
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
You have got me "Daly River Dreaming" again.

bugger!

Regards Gordon

struktcha_man
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
sounds bloody awsome day out
I'm jelous ::)

cheers

Dick Pasfield
02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Glad to hear the culverts are working Dan, plenty of rain around at the moment to keep them going too8-)

mylestom
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Dan,

Brings back some great memories (early 80's), of the old culvert just past Humpy Doo, water coming out of the old rice paddies.

Teaching my young son and mate how to cast for barra.

They were doing well, then this fin cruising down the waterway, kids had a couple of cast and no good. Fish disappears into the culvert and dad grabs rod hops on top of drain and cast down the drain in the direction the barra went.

Hookup and very pleased with the 17lb barra, on an old Nilsmaster spearhead.

Kids still give me a bit of curry about pinching the rod. But one of those split second decisions and the barra was already on his way past.

People drive over those culverts on a regular basis, but they are missing some great action. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

Regards

Trev

robersl
02-01-2009, 01:50 PM
good report Dan i had just spoken to my barra booking agent before i read this post to try and get a spot for this years run off

Shane

Magella
02-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Great report, reminds me of when I was living Jabiru, Drive a couple of Klms out of town to the culverts and catch heaps and some big barra too, All the time watching the tourist go by in 100g 4wd and boats heading to the rivers to put in the big efforts for nothing .

Like BR65 Said "GOTTA LOVE THE TERRITORY"