PDA

View Full Version : 2004 135 optimax problems

Plumb-Ezy74
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi all I have had a frustrating day not fishing as i have been let down by my motor not that it broke down at sea. My brother and i trolled on tuesday chasing anything pelagic and did about 140ks for no joy,the motor got us home no problem and even towed some one home the last 8k back to scarby.The next day as i was preparing for another trip did a motor inspection as i was reminded of the guys we had towed in had done an alternater belt,thought i had better check mine and found that one of the alternater bolts had sheard off and cracked the housing at the top rear of the motor i think it might be the injection pump but not sure. Has any other optimax owners had this problem i might add that to this point we have been very happy with our motor and it has got 450hrs on it and was new nov 2004 and is serviced every 100hrs.:(
By The way Happy New Year to all.;D
Scott

Angla
01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I will have a look at mine tomorrow. It is the same motor, just 2003 with 330 hours and no problems to date.

Chris

Dodgy_Back
02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Mate
I out of the blue checked my 150 opti a couple of months ago andnoted that the altinator was a bit crooked.
Yep , bolt sheared off. with other bit with the thread had fallen out aswell.
All I had to do was to put in a new bolt,

Must be some sort of issue with opti's

Go and checkit all those that own an opti

Mick

Angla
02-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Scott and Mick

Checked mine today and it seems fine. Funny how it seems to have a fixing low on the right and one high on the left side. In my mind that would give a twisting effect on the bottom right mounting point due to the pulling tension of the belt drive.

Is that where yours broke?

Steboe
02-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Less tension on the belt, use just enough to stop it slipping

Ken

Plumb-Ezy74
02-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Chris yes that sounds exactly like where it has broken the thread is still in the lug that sticks out of the block ,like mick i think that the altenater is the esy fix its the other housing that concerns me the only way to see this promlem is to remove the plastic induction and fly wheel cover and look down on to the motor while standing on the transom and the two lugs from the housing that looks like the injection pump that are a light grey/green colour are cracked that looks more expensive than the alternater bolt.
Scott

Dodgy_Back
02-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Yes Angla
Exactly where mine broke.
For a while when I started to get on the plane an alarm went off every so often, couldn't for the life of me find out what alarm it was.!
Now that the bolt is replaced, no more alarm ? must have been connected some way.

For 18 months and 200 hrs that and the starter sticking has been the only issue.
Both have been easy fixes. so needless to say I have been pretty happy with the motor. Both problems were fixed on the same day under warranty with no hic up.

Cheers

Mick

siegfried
02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Mate
I out of the blue checked my 150 opti a couple of months ago andnoted that the altinator was a bit crooked.
Yep , bolt sheared off. with other bit with the thread had fallen out aswell.
All I had to do was to put in a new bolt,

Must be some sort of issue with opti's

Go and checkit all those that own an opti

Mick
Me too repaired with new bollt, then sensor problems=motor punted

Plumb-Ezy74
02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Siegfried which sensor was causing problems
Scott

siegfried
14-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I think It was to do with the fuel mapping mate but I honestly cant remember

Plumb-Ezy74
05-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi all our opti is now repaired and ready to go i hope to take it for a run on the weekend, but for some advice to other opti owners, i would recomend a few things after my experiance.1. Every 100hrs check the compressor bearing with and without the belt on and especially if you have already replaced an alternator bolt due to breakage.2 Replace the alternator bolt every 100 hrs needed or not.
3.Get the injectors done every 300hrs.In short what happend is the bearing cage on the main shaft of the compressor broke up and fouled up the piston and rings in the compressor and a munched up bearing cage worked its way through the injector system as i had said in the first post the motor was still operating until i had noticed the cracked housing the mech believed that as the cage broke up over the corse of time it may have partialy seized and that is how the the housing cracked and broke the alt bolt, i believe that a broken bolt is sugestive of posible compressor problems any ways these few tips may save you the $2400 it has cost us
cheers Scott