PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga update anyone?

Chris_2184
01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi all,

Just checking to see if the barra at awoonga are on the chew or not, heard some rumours that nobodys been able to land a fish for a while. Keen to try my luck but don't wanna be wasting my time if they're off the chew.

cheers

Awoonga
02-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Yes , tough....the odd fish getting caught... New years eve was the last time l was on the water....not a touch is eight hours !

Chris_2184
02-01-2009, 08:55 AM
What's the water temp out there? Could it maybe getting a lil too hot? I remember fishin Callide back in the day and the barra would become a lot harder get once the water temp got too high.

who knows? all i know is I'll wait for some better catch reports before headin down.

cheers

Awoonga
02-01-2009, 08:48 PM
What's the water temp out there? Could it maybe getting a lil too hot? I remember fishin Callide back in the day and the barra would become a lot harder get once the water temp got too high.

who knows? all i know is I'll wait for some better catch reports before headin down.

cheers Went out this arvo...in the rain.!!.... water temp 29c not even a bump.....

Chris_2184
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Went out this arvo...in the rain.!!.... water temp 29c not even a bump.....

I've gotta say I've never really done any good with this sorta weather, however I still find myself out there soaked from head to toe regretting the thought of taking the chance! Oh well, you never know your luck! Were u trolling or casting?

cheers

Awoonga
03-01-2009, 06:41 AM
[quote=Chris_2184;948229]I've gotta say I've never really done any good with this sorta weather, however I still find myself out there soaked from head to toe regretting the thought of taking the chance! Oh well, you never know your luck! Were u trolling or casting? Chris... casting.... The dam is going through some kind of change and the Barras dont like it....The water has cleared up ... but there are other forces at play here....but l dont know what they are ?????? its the hardest in ten years of fishing the dam ...l am one of the lucky ones ...l live close by... pity the poor buggers that have to travel a long way...Things will improve its just a matter of time.........

aussiebasser
03-01-2009, 04:25 PM
We fished it from Boxing Day for 4 days. A couple of bumps and a jumped off hook-up was the result. Pam hooked and lost her first Barra casting a soft plastic. We cast hard and soft bodies and trolled. It is tough but the fish are there.

BR65
03-01-2009, 08:37 PM
The fish are there all right, they cant catch a taxi down to the mouth of the Boyne to play docters and nurses like they want to, so why is it so tuff? Monduran has had more donuts than an American sitcom this season, the trollers in the basin have caught a few, but lets not open that can of worms!
So why?? Are we fishing thru a delayed effect from the big rise in Feb, that was a long time ago, I'd have thought things like baitfish biomass, ph, O2 levels, clarity, temp etc would have settled by now. I know its the busiest time of the year, but fishing the quiet times - very early or very late - hasnt turned on the switch consistently either. These fish are becoming more wary, simply due tothe angling pressure, but with the number of fingerlings (nowdays not really finger sized at all) being released per annum, there should be a new crop of "dumb", for lack of a better word, fish to be caught each season.
Trev, whats happening on your lake????

Awoonga
04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Only mother nature knows the answer !....Its very strange ... I did get a fish yesterday and the hooks pulled on another one.... Happy hour seems to be in the mornings....Has the outbreak of Salvinia weed in Futter creek and its eradication got any effect on the fish ?.... One would hope not... I was told that the bug that they released was not working and" other" means where needed to control it This is the main water suppy for Gladstone so you would think that the "other means " would not effect anything apart from the weed ????As for smart fish l too have thought about this therory but have dismissed it because the fishing or should that be catching changed overnight ...well in a short space of time...I no longer get bumps ,bites or enquires ....just the occasional hookup ...if you use the smart fish therory l think you would get the opposite...As we try to create the illusion some fish will bump the lure just to make sure....At first we thought it was a water quality issue too much sediment from the weed breaking down... now not so sure.... Some areas of the dam the water is back to its usual state and we have had what l call two wind events... That is...Strong wind from two different directions .And at the moment its blowing its ring off out there . Maybe its going to take time ...we have not lost our fish... i hope it will just be a case of remember the Summer of 08/09 .....Some late mail... Faust is suffering the same chemistry mix as Awoonga...and fishing is hard

Barraboy7
04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Good to find an informative, genuine and healthy discussion here on Freshwater.
I fished through some very hot weather on Awoonga in December 2 yrs ago and yes it was like this dead, except for about a 20-30 minute window right on sunset.
Sure makes it challenging if you come a long distance to try for a barra in the hols.
Thanks Awoonga for being helpful on the local knowledge, you guys have a great advantage when it comes to shifts and changes.
Happy New Year
Barraboy7