PDA

View Full Version : Steering on Outboard.

trymyluck
31-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey guys
Just servicing the boat and motor and noticed on the outboard that there are 3 holes the steering link could be attached to, its currently attached to the 3rd hole away from the motor.(motor is a 115 Johnson).That position would give the most steering force over the motor but also the least amount of steering ie larger steering circle.
I do seem to think the boat suffers from a lack of steering ability at times but not sure how much affect changing the position will have.Any ideas????

Mark

Hornet Rider
31-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Mark, why not move the link back one hole & test the outcome?

cheers, HR

trymyluck
31-12-2008, 08:27 PM
yer already done that, just thought i'd try and dip into the wealth of knowledge on here. Will report on the outcome.
Mark

oldboot
31-12-2008, 09:18 PM
anybody got the manual?

cheers

FNQCairns
31-12-2008, 10:31 PM
They are speed holes for the want of the correct rev head term which escapes me atm, pretty much the faster your boat can go the wider the hole used, this decreases the small changes in direction that can happen at good speed to help control chine walk etc. on a fishing boat they can be used to increase turning angle with the little bit of extra effort thrown in.

So for your boat I would say use whatever you decide suits you best.

Cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
The outer hole is for a tie bar setup (twin rig)
The center is for thecable steering/drag link
the inner is an option for some types of hydraulic steering.

trymyluck
03-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Spaniard_King Thanks for that, the steering is now connected to the center hole and seems to be much better. just goes to show when you buy something don't assume that the setup is right.

Mark