PDA

View Full Version : How to Catch a Marlin Off the Cape - Wednesday 31.12.08

Finnatical
31-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, what a difference a week makes.

Thanks to the very skilled ShaneC I finally caught my first marlin (around 40kgs or so) yesterday out of his boat. Before that Shane managed to land a very fiesty one himself that went around 30kgs. It was certainly a steep learning curve having a very green fish boatside going nuts, and I learnt more in that couple of minutes than I have all year, I also learnt that I am a bit of a sissy when a fish launches and tries to skewer me while hanging onto the leader (another valuable lesson). Good work to Shane for putting us onto the fish in the first place but also for sorting both fish out and releasing them. He certainly knows what he is doing and can find fish.

On to today.....I managed to talk my #1 deckie into heading over to Tangalooma this morning for a swim and lunch. In the process I also managed to sell the concept of a 'quick troll' around the Cape seeing the weather was so good. After persisting for a couple of hours after finding the bait and birds we managed to boat a little black of around 25kgs or so. With the lessons learnt from the day before the release part went relatively easily although getting it to the boat with 4 lines out and a sleeping wife was certainly fun. Once she woke up she did however do a great job and we managed a very nice release.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank ShaneC, MitchCalcutt, Ian (Finding Time) and Frank00 for all their advice and help, it has been greatly appreciated to say the least. Mitch was also kind enough to give me one of his Blacks Snacks skirted lures that looks the business and will no doubt have a black hanging off the end well before the summer is out.

Cheers,
Jason

chewy01
31-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Nice one jas

skipalong
31-12-2008, 07:00 PM
great work mate

cheers justin

Frank OO
01-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Jason,

What a fantastic feeling. Well done. I am really happy to see that you have become an old hand at catching Marlin.

I will be following you like a blowfly.

All the best mate. Now we need to add a couple of great Dollies and Wahoo to the collection.

Frank OO

Fishbait
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Nice work Jason and Shane. Any pics fellas?? Cheers, Darren.

finding_time
01-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Nice work Jason! It was only a matter of time! Now for the blue! There thick atm!

Ian

jtpython
01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Always great to have the support and help of some helpful mates... They are certainly well respected guys
Nice stuff Jas
JT

ShaneC
01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Jase,

Mate you are way too kind..... skilled?....knows what he's doing?... my wife would beg to differ!!!!!!!

We certainly had a cracker day, and I was ecstatic when I saw you guys at Tangas and heard you cracked another one... fanbloodytastic!!!!!!!!

Well done bud....