PDA

View Full Version : Seaway conditions?

Bandit1
31-12-2008, 01:41 PM
G'day all,

Had the boat a couple of months now been playing around the inside of the pin a bit and gone through the pin for some offshore, am getting use to being a skipper of a big glass boat (outsider 625), major difference when upgrading from a 12ft tinny with a 15hp..lol.

Anways the missus wants to go for some offshore fun but not sure how she would fair if i take her out the pin first up, was thinking tomorrow morning going out the seaway just to break her in and hopefully get her a fish at the same time and see how she feels about being offshore in general.

Being that ive only been through there once a few years ago, i was just wondering if there was anything to watch out for? probly going to put in at marine parade ramp in labrador/broadwater, how is that channel on the southern side of wavebreak island on low tide? stick to makers still ok? ill be heading out in the morning its pretty much bottom of the tide planing to fish up to the high then head in before it starts to run out.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Bandit

Chimo
31-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi Bandit

The channel on the south of Wavebreak is very silted at the east end and on low tide theres not much depth. Signs warn of this.

Better to keep to the north side of the island. NB Low speed area now on the nth side with the area being a popular anchorage.

Do you have a beacon to beacon? It shows the range of channels in the area..

Have a look here http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.933375,153.421669&spn=0.03693,0.054932&z=14

Note the slug of sand at the mouth of the seaway, usually best to head SSE ish as you clear the mouth as there seem to be less of a build up and it gets deeper quicker. (better ride for the partner) ie 50 to 60 ft in the seaway and about 15 to 20 25 on the sand as you pass over the slug. It often breaks with approx 2 m seas on the sand.

Cheers
Chimo

Bandit1
31-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Yea mate got a beacon to beacon noticed also the northern option will stick to that one thank you.

Chimo
31-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Bandit

Have a look at the pic I just put the link up for. Makes it a bit clearer I think?.

Chimo

Bandit1
31-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Bandit

Note the slug of sand at the mouth of the seaway, usually best to head SSE ish as you clear the mouth as there seem to be less of a build up and it gets deeper quicker. (better ride for the partner) ie 50 to 60 ft in the seaway and about 15 to 20 25 on the sand as you pass over the slug. It often breaks with approx 2 m seas on the sand.

Cheers
Chimo

Priceless mate thats the sorta info i was looking for thanks again!
Bandit

Bandit1
31-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Bandit

Have a look at the pic I just put the link up for. Makes it a bit clearer I think?.

Chimo

Forsure

Cheers

Chimo
31-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Bandit.

Keep the missus happy and feeling safe, the last thing you want to do is have any excitement on early day trips!

Mine has no history on the sea being a prairie girl so I'm still looking for the appropriate drug although an alternate "sea-wife" might be easier!!

happy new year.............

Chimo